View Single Post
January 13th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's right, I haven't told my boyfriend the news yet, and I have no idea why, but I'm nervous as heck about it! A little history on us:

We met through a video gaming clan about 2 years ago from halfway across the country. Once we met face to face, the sparks really flew, and a few months later I was living with him. We've been together about 6 months now, and have talked a little bit about the future and having children. But we'd planned that stuff for some time from now, after we both finish college and what not. He had told me that he is very much looking forward to having kids, just not right now. (He's very unhappy with his job and wanted to be doing something he loved and be more "settled" first.) But he also did tell me that if an accident ever happened, abortion/adoption would not be an option for him and he would want to have the baby.

Well now it's time to tell him that the aforementioned accident HAS happened, and I know he'll be supportive, but I'm still so nervous about it anyway. I'm currently unemployed, and have been since we've been together, and although on the outside he says he doesn't mind and he actually kind of enjoys having someone to take care of, I think on the inside he's wishing I was adding an income to the household bills. (we currently have two roommates, and that's a whole other dilemma right there... to stay here or move?) I'm sure he will start to stress about money once I tell him, and although I'm going to start rigorously looking for work next week, I know he's going to stress about it anyway. Also, we're not married, which isn't a big deal for me or my family, but I think it will be for him. He's a southern boy, full of that classic southern chivalry, and I know he'll start thinking we have to tie the knot before the baby is born. I want to marry him, I love him with all my heart, but I want him to marry me because he loves me, not because he feels obligated to. I suppose that bridge is one we'll cross when we come to it though. As for the question at hand....

What would be the gentlest way to break the news to him that our plans have been stepped up a year or two? Would it be wise to just bluntly blurt it out, or should I find a way to let him mentally prepare for it a bit? I was thinking perhaps I wouldn't tell him that I already have tested positive, and instead I might say something along the lines of "I don't want to panic you, but I'm a couple days late" and then let him sit on the possibility that I might be pregnant and then re-test together in a couple days. I don't know... what do you guys think?