Topic: Genesis-Orion
View Single Post
December 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Regular
<div align="center">At 33 weeks I started having contractions and some cervical dilating. I had to make it to week 36 in order to have the home birth like we wanted.

So, after three weeks of no sex...it was time to celebrate getting to the much awaited 36th week. I had been having contractions throughout the entire pregnancy it seems so having contractions on this night (after sex) was no big surprise. I wasn't too alarmed by the thought that they were a little uniformed (coming every 6-7 minutes). I wasn't, at the time, feeling too much action going on in my cervix area, just a tightening of the uterus. I remember thinking, I need to get some rest and drink lots of water...that will probably calm it all down.
As I drifted dreamily into slumber, I was jolted awake by the strongest KICK and a simultaneous POP in my upper left side. I sat up slightly, DH was still up reading, and I know my eyes must have been as big as saucers! He said, "what's the matter?" I was like, "Ummm, I don't know but that kick and pop was really intense...and I'm starting to cramp a little bit. I think I need to go to the bathroom". So off I go, slowly waddling to the bathroom. As I was naked all ready, I just hovered over the toilet and down pours liquid. I was still for about a minute trying to take it all in, then I announced it to DH. He jumped out of bed with a much expected, "WHAT?" So I took the paper that the midwife gave me to check to make sure it was indeed water that broke and not just urine or something. It turned the most beautiful color of indigo and we knew it was true. DH was in somewhat of denial because I was telling him to call the midwife (now about 4:00am) and he was trying to tell me that we had plenty time. I knew otherwise and was like, "please call her, now." Almost immediately my neuro-chemicals kicked in and I began to tremble with the intensity of everything. I talked to the midwife and tried to explain to her what was going on, she said that she would get her things together and be there in an hour or so. I took a shower. By the time the shower was over, my contractions were getting stronger. I lay down on our couch bed in the living room and began to breathe through them. DH, bless his heart, was running around the house like crazy trying to clean and get things ready for the birth and midwife (in addition to be there with me through a couple of the contractions). They were almost completely running together by the time the midwife got there. I was already dilated 6 cm by the time she got there. I had no break in between and there was no time to set up the tub. I was fine with that because I knew that when it came down to me bearing down and pushing, I knew I wanted to be upright in the birthing chair. So that's what I did. I got up, slowly, and made my way to the bathroom. I wanted to stay there because I was so comfortable but they were like, "Uh, you might not want to give birth on the toilet." So they set up the birthing chair in the hallway. It was a little cramped, but I thought it was very nice. Not only did it create a sound barrier from my neighbors, it felt very cozy and safe. I finally got the feeling of complete abandon and started the pushing process. My body had been taken over completely. Like a trip. There was no stopping this process and I had to go along with it. It was intense and sometimes painful, but not in the traditional sense of the word. It was POWERFUL, I felt powerful and back to my ancestral roots. My moans and grunts reminded me of the tribal women. I felt like I was doing what my body was meant to do.
As time went on (felt like minutes rather than hours), I began pushing throughout the entire contraction. His heart rate dipped a little bit because of him being squished and we were all rooting for him to come out. My bottom burned and felt like an alien flower to my touch...I can only imagine what it looked like. DH was behind me telling me he could see the head and everyone was telling me how well I was doing. I had no idea how much longer I was going to have to push. I had no idea how close he was to being out. So after a long contraction and the midwife saying, don't stop...keep going you can do it...I pushed until I felt my insides spill out. Before I had a chance to catch my breath, I had a gooey, wiggling, crying thing laying on my belly. We were both totally out of it. DH was crying, I was trying to take it all in. All of a sudden I had no belly and he was outside breathing! Woah, what a trip!
After the cord was cut (30 mins later) and the placenta delivered, me and baby got into the tub with our herbal tea bath. He loved the water (still does). His eyes were so large and alert. We just couldn't believe it. He was finally here. 4 weeks early.
The midwife stayed a couple of hours post and did all of the evaluations on me and baby. The whole thing was so magickal.
We are both doing great. I am back to my pre-size, except for a cute little pot belly that I've acquired. Genesis-Orion has taken to feeding and has an insatiable appetite. He's gaining weight. My days are full of love and joy. I feel complete. DH is a wonderful husband and father. He has held everything together for me. Other than a little sleep deprivation, everything is perfection. ~</div>