View Single Post
January 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to MaggL6
I had been having contractions for the previous two nights, so when I couldn't sleep with them yet again ~ I was ready for a long sleepless night. Only just reaching "full-term" I was not expecting to go into labor anytime soon! I went out to the living room to watch television so I wouldn't wake my husband when my water broke! I woke up my husband, and he asked me if I was sure I hadn't peed!
My parents drove over so my dad could watch my son, and my mom could accompany us to the hospital. My mom is an OB nurse at the hospital I was delivering at, and she insisted on checking me to make sure I was really in labor. (Although I was positive my water was broken, it was only a slight clear trickle, so I guess everyone just wanted to be sure. ) My contractions were only mildly annoying, so I figured I was still very early on. I was 4 when we left the house and 5 when we reached the hospital. I had gotten stuck with my son at 5-6 cm for eight hours, so I was expecting to stall again...but my labor progressed wonderfully.
I walked around the room a little, ate some toast, and watched television for awhile. I told the staff (whom I am familiar with due to my mom's job) not to worry about calling my mid-wife yet as I assumed it would still be a while. Luckily they didn't listen to me and called!
My labor did intensify for about the last hour. When I felt the urge to push, I told my husband that I wasn't going to do it, I was done...I was quite upset with the bemused smile he tried to hide! Of course I pushed out my sweet baby girl (born at 37 1/2 weeks.) She was pretty tiny, only 6 lbs 2 oz, but she was healthy, alert, and absolutely beautiful. My mid-wife did make it in time for me to push, but she allowed my mom to guide Sydney's head and my husband to catch her! It was a fantastic experience. (I had planned on using the a water tub available at the hospital, but in labor I didn't want anything to do with it!)