View Single Post
March 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
est. 2000
Was just lurking here and thought I'd chime in My youngest is a preemie - she was born 13 months ago, 10 weeks early. I looked it up and at the same age as your little girl, she weighed 9lb 15oz. Like yours, she wasn't even on the growth charts! Try not to get discouraged by the fact that they are so small and it seems to take forever to make any progress with weight, smiles, development, etc. My little sweetie was 17lb 11oz at a year, wearing 6-9 month clothes, and at 13 months she is nowhere near ready to walk, can't get into a seated position on her own, and can only army crawl. We just had her evaluated by Early Intervention and they told us not to worry, that preemies can take a LONG time to develop, especially gross motor skills. Sometimes I get frustrated that she's not "normal" for her age (and in some ways not even normal for her adjusted age) but now I can look back and see the pictures from when she was first born, and in the NICU for 6 weeks, and this tiny little speck of a baby, and I know how much she has overcome - and WILL overcome. Hugs to you!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d