View Single Post
March 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
........ I just got a call from Dr. M..... the head honcho doc who was asked to review our findings and go over stuff with us. He got the pathology results back. So. We have our answer.

It seems there was a band of amniotic sac tissue wrapped around the cord..... like a little piece of tissue tore off from the inner sac and got wrapped around the cord like a piece of string. It cut off his blood flow, his oxygen. He strangled.

I had this strong feeling it was a cord accident.... though I thought it would be that it was wrapped around his neck (and it was - but it was loose... turns out that's not what killed him).

He said this particular type of thing happens very very rarely. He said they see about 3,000-4,000 neonatal deaths a year.... and this particular issue comes up once every few years. So 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 20,000? Something like that? My baby died in a #%*$ freak accident that is totally against the odds. I am struggling to deal with that fact. Not only was it a cord accident it was a totally FREAK RANDOM ACCIDENT.

The good news is that it is totally non-reoccurring. He repeated that several times. Non-reoccurring. Will not be an issue next time. Of course now I'm very well acquainted with being on the wrong end of totally improbable odds so I'm never going to feel safe again.... light knows what can go wrong. But this particular thing, is not something you are "prone" to, not something that I'm at a higher risk for. Just #%*$ lighting out of the sky.

He also said that it's not something I or they could have prevented... not something you can watch for. Reaffirms my belief that the Midwives did everything right.

That isn't to say I couldn't have saved him, though... not in my mind. If I had noticed he was struggling? I get the feeling it wasn't just a sudden thing... it slowly got tighter. What if I had gone in when I noticed his movement changed? Could they have gotten him out in time? I'll have to live with that the rest of my life.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~