View Single Post
February 6th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Regular
Before I found out I was pregnant, I was taking Elavil (Amitryptilene) and when I got pregnant, my doc switched ,y to Zoloft. My doc says it depends what kind you are taking whether it will affect the kid or not. Elavil is a class X- Whch means there have been no studies in pregnant humans but in animal studies, it was determined unsafe and hazardout to an unborn fetus. Also, of cases documented where women did take Elavil while pregnant, there have been problems/complications/birth defects/etc. Basically don't take.
Zoloft on the other hand is a class B- Which means there have been no clinical studies on pregnant humand, but studies in animals have shown no adverse side effects and of pregnant women who just happened to take it (outside of a trial) there have been no documented problems attributed to it. Doc says a class B is about as good as you are going to get for a pregnancy class. According to her it is hard to do studies- I mean imagine your answer if a doc said "we don't know the effect this will have on your kid, but we'ed like to find out. Mind taking it while you are pregnant?" There are no class A antidepressants.