View Single Post
April 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The local Texan piping in here. Texas is a GREAT place to live and homeschool. We live in a small town and I find the economy is way cheaper than other areas of the country. I know in the bigger cities (Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.) it can be pretty expensive, but where I am.....well, let me just say that we bought our house (3 bedroom, 1.5 bath brick house on 3 town lots with a 5 ft chain link fence around the whole yard plus a work shop) for $35k. I will say that it was listed for $50k, but since it was a relocation company they just wanted to be rid of it and we easily talked them down on the price. As for homeschooling, we don't have to do anything! In Texas homeschool is considered a private school. When I pulled Jack out of public school, I did give the school a letter of intent, but I didn't have to. I just told them that I was going to be homeschooling him and that was that. I didn't have to file a LOI when I started homeschooling Jared either. There's no registering, portfolios, testing, etc. Also in my area, there are a lot of homeschoolers (it's quite common here) so we don't get the strange looks and comments very often.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*