View Single Post
April 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was born and raised in Canada, and was always REQUIRED to use Mr./Mrs./Miss and the last name with everyone until I was about fourteen, and then my parents kind of left it up to the adult to decide what they wanted us to call them. When we didn't know someone though, it was always ma'am or sir.

My husband was raised in the South, and I find that his family is a lot more strict on the ma'am/sir thing... I'm not a big fan of it, and we've still got to decide if we're going to enforce it as strictly as his niece and nephew have it enforced on them. Seriously, when addressing a person, I would prefer a "yes, [name]" when possible instead of suddenly making it a formal occasion, but that's my preference. On the Mr./Mrs./Miss thing, he was raised similarly to me, except that he was permitted to use the first name if permission was given.

We have decided that on the Mr./Mrs./Miss issue we want to go with the last name at all times, no first names. And, as I said, the ma'am and sir strictness is still under discussion.