View Single Post
April 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
From what I've seen, kids are learning to read earlier than they were in my day in general. Does anyone else notice this?

I was an early reader, and I was the only child in my kindergarten class who was reading. Most of the other kids didn't catch up until 1st or 2nd grade. In my daughter's kindergarten class, between 1/3 and 1/2 of the kids in the class were already reading to some degree coming in and they're all reading at least at 1st grade level now at the end of the year.

I'm wondering what the reasons are for this. Are we finally realizing that kids are capable of learning how to read at an earlier age? In my day, they really didn't focus on teaching kids how to read in school until much later even though many kids were perfectly capable and wanted to learn. Are there more resources available (even passive resources, such as focusing on literacy in cartoons)? Does this make the kids more interested? Are parents pushing their kids to read early to keep up with all of the other kids who are reading in kindergarten? Maybe there are more stay-at-home parents now then there were before who are willing to work with their children?