JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Abortion Debate (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f104-abortion-debate/)
-   -   Your Stance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f104-abortion-debate/1877835-your-stance.html)

IAmMomMomIAm February 17th, 2010 11:48 AM

Your Stance

Are you pro-choice or pro-life?

Aeterna February 17th, 2010 02:29 PM

Re: Your Stance

Without question, pro-choice.

glasscandie February 17th, 2010 02:37 PM

Vehemently pro choice.

Tammyjh February 17th, 2010 03:34 PM

Pro choice

frgsonmysox February 17th, 2010 03:41 PM

100% pro-choice.

irishxrose February 17th, 2010 03:49 PM

Pro-choice.

smt February 17th, 2010 04:47 PM

I voted "other". I am pro-choice up to a point around the first trimester. By the third trimester I am pro-life. The second trimester is a gray area.

Earthy.Mama February 17th, 2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smt (Post 19096280)
I voted "other". I am pro-choice up to a point around the first trimester. By the third trimester I am pro-life. The second trimester is a gray area.

Ditto. However I voted pro-choice.

melkissa2004 February 17th, 2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ (Post 19098578)
Ditto. However I voted pro-choice.

Me too.

aussiemummy February 19th, 2010 08:43 AM

Pro life.

ShesaDreamer February 19th, 2010 09:40 AM

Until reading through some of the debates on this board I was Pro Life. Now I believe that I am Pro-Choice. I agree with SMT and also a reply from another thread sticks in my mind. " You can be pro choice without being pro abortion."

That is where I stand. Certain situations I can see the need or desire for an abortion.

Irish_Wristwatch February 19th, 2010 01:26 PM

pro choice

DollBabyKG February 20th, 2010 09:10 AM

Pro-Life. Which, for me, does leave room for abortions when the life of the mother is in imminent danger.

ETA: I will say this. As pro-life as I am, I don't want the government anywhere NEAR my healthcare, and the decisions related to it, so I'm not sure I would be in favor of allowing them to control what qualifies as imminent danger, either.

**Badfish** February 20th, 2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DollBabyKG (Post 19134522)
Pro-Life. Which, for me, does leave room for abortions when the life of the mother is in imminent danger.

ETA: I will say this. As pro-life as I am, I don't want the government anywhere NEAR my healthcare, and the decisions related to it, so I'm not sure I would be in favor of allowing them to control what qualifies as imminent danger, either.

That means you're pro-choice. For me, the deciding factor is what you vote on a ballot. From what you just said, I would guess that you would vote against the government placing any limitations on abortions because that would give the government power in deciding what's best for our reproductive health.

I'm pro-choice, but definitely pro-life for myself, and I'm the only person I feel comfortable making that decision for.

Mommiex2 February 20th, 2010 04:12 PM

Pro choice.

*Jillian* February 20th, 2010 06:23 PM

Pro choice

myblueyez February 20th, 2010 08:59 PM

Pro-Choice.
Although I am against abortion as a form of birth control....

IAmMomMomIAm February 21st, 2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess is Write (Post 19137701)
That means you're pro-choice. For me, the deciding factor is what you vote on a ballot. From what you just said, I would guess that you would vote against the government placing any limitations on abortions because that would give the government power in deciding what's best for our reproductive health.

I'm pro-choice, but definitely pro-life for myself, and I'm the only person I feel comfortable making that decision for.

I would perhaps argue that you can be morally pro-life, and legally pro-choice. For instance, if you think abortion is morally wrong, but don't think the government should dictate morality, than I'd say you're both. I don't think the only deciding factor is what you'd vote on a ballet.. there's more to it than that, in my opinion.

**Badfish** February 23rd, 2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keskes (Post 19144915)
I would perhaps argue that you can be morally pro-life, and legally pro-choice. For instance, if you think abortion is morally wrong, but don't think the government should dictate morality, than I'd say you're both. I don't think the only deciding factor is what you'd vote on a ballet.. there's more to it than that, in my opinion.

Voting is what's important, though. Sure, philosophically you can be pro-life and believe that abortion is wrong, but as long as you want women to be in control and making their own choices regarding their bodies, you're pro-choice. Pro-choice is nothing more than the acknowledgment that the government does not know best regarding our reproductive health and the right to our autonomy should not be taken from us. The pro-life movement tries to twist it around and make it seem like people who are pro-choice like abortions and they think are teh awesome, but in reality, being pro-choice has little to do with abortion.

IAmMomMomIAm February 24th, 2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess is Write (Post 19176391)
Voting is what's important, though. Sure, philosophically you can be pro-life and believe that abortion is wrong, but as long as you want women to be in control and making their own choices regarding their bodies, you're pro-choice. Pro-choice is nothing more than the acknowledgment that the government does not know best regarding our reproductive health and the right to our autonomy should not be taken from us. The pro-life movement tries to twist it around and make it seem like people who are pro-choice like abortions and they think are teh awesome, but in reality, being pro-choice has little to do with abortion.

Ah.. here in lies the disagreement. To you, what you vote for is more important overall, but to me how I feel about it personally is more important. I would guess (I could be wrong, but I'm probably not) that government plays a bigger role in your life than it does in mine, and that religion plays a bigger part in my life than it does in yours. So it makes sense that you think what you vote is most important, and I think what you believe about it personally is the deciding factor on what to proclaim as your stance.

However, as for me, I wouldn't vote against illegalizing (that's not a word) abortion not because of the "my body my choice" stance but because of other reasons. I don't think it's the government's job to dictate morality, outside of keeping order in society. For instance, is the Bible was the only thing preventing people from committing murder, Society would be all kinds of unstable. Therefore, there should be a law. But abortion doesn't contribute much to the whole of society, in that if every woman had one abortion, order would not be completely lost. Therefore, it's not necessary to dictate that moral choice to the general population.

There are other more logistical reasons, but I think that's a different debate altogether anyways. I just wanted to touch on the main issue. I'm not against abortion being illegal because I think women should be able to control their own bodies under all circumstances.