JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/)
-   -   So our meeting with new sw was Friday... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/2122646-so-our-meeting-new-sw-friday.html)

marienbrian October 4th, 2010 02:21 PM

So our meeting with new sw was Friday...

Everything went well on our end, but I just don't like her. As soon as we expressed to her we wished to adopt a child then pursue fostering she pretty much wrote us off and told us we'd be looking for our child on our own. She was very negative and told us it probably wouldn't happen anytime soon and not to bother checking out of state because none of her homes EVER get accepted for out of state. GRRRRR. Unfortunately, she's the only person in our region that we have to be our case worker. We've been waiting for a child for 5 years going on 6 and i'm feeling so discouraged right now :( Any ideas?

Kari_B October 4th, 2010 02:39 PM

Re: So our meeting with new sw was Friday...

I don't really have an advice for you... just wanted to offer some hugs!

SarahBethsMommy October 4th, 2010 03:54 PM

That makes no sense. I'd call her supervisor and say something along the lines of, "Ms. so and so said we would not be able to straight adopt through the foster system. I was wondering if you could expound more on why this might be." And see what she says. Probably she is trying to get people as foster parents more than adoptive parents and thinks she has found a good way to do so. Don't let her play you. You very much CAN adopt through the system without fostering first.

esparando para bebé October 5th, 2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahBethsMommy (Post 21732538)
That makes no sense. I'd call her supervisor and say something along the lines of, "Ms. so and so said we would not be able to straight adopt through the foster system. I was wondering if you could expound more on why this might be." And see what she says. Probably she is trying to get people as foster parents more than adoptive parents and thinks she has found a good way to do so. Don't let her play you. You very much CAN adopt through the system without fostering first.

The guy I spoke with in VA said that you were place with a child months before they even knew if the child would be available for adoption.

marienbrian October 5th, 2010 06:50 AM

Went over her head to the supervisor and I guess he gave her some good ***motivation***, lol! Our home study was sent out this morning about a handsome little 6 year old boy. He doesn't speak but so far it looks like it might be fetal alcohol syndrome with mild mental retardation and some physical abuse. They say he's very loving and loves animals (which is esp. good since we do foster animals and have several cats and dogs). We originally thought he was 6-7 hours away from us and it turns out he's only about 2-2.5 hours away. So we're praying they will accept our home study and approve us to continue with him. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers! Maybe we won't be going into 2011 (or year 6) as a childless family :)

Kari_B October 6th, 2010 11:01 AM

:fingerscrossed:

I'm glad things are finally moving forward for you guys!!!

marienbrian October 7th, 2010 07:51 AM

Our home study has been received...now we're waiting for *A*'s profile!

Kari_B October 7th, 2010 08:01 PM

:excited:

future_adoption_mommy October 7th, 2010 10:49 PM

:excited: Yay!

SarahBethsMommy October 8th, 2010 09:15 AM

AWESOME news!! Sometimes SWs just need that kick in the pants. Don't be afraid to offer it when needed. :)

AlexKatieAiden Mommy October 21st, 2010 05:07 PM

:D YAY!!! So excited for you!!!

Orangebrittainy October 21st, 2010 05:48 PM

I know when we were looking into foster care Most of the children were already in a home well before they became free for adoption. Foster parents were often given the first choice to adopt, providing there was no available family members.

I am glad though things are starting to fall into place for you though