JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/)
-   -   It has been a crazy 3 months (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/2209513-has-been-crazy-3-months.html)

AlexKatieAiden Mommy January 6th, 2011 10:35 AM

It has been a crazy 3 months

This is what I wrote in the beginning of October....
Hi All. I am Linda single mommy of 4 (well 4 right now anyways ). I just got my foster license this past May but have been doing kinship since 2006.
I have one bio son. His name is Alex, he is 5.5 years old.
My niece Katie came to me when she was 9 months old, her mother (my sister) is a severe alcoholic who's oldest two children live with our parents. Katie has been back and forth between my sister and I since then, though she has spent most of her life with me. She is now 4.5.
My nephew Zac came to me right from the hospital when he was 3 days old. He also has been back and forth between my sister and since he was born. He is now 2.5.
When Zac was only 4 months old my sister found out she was pregnant with her 5th child. At that point she decided to adopt the baby to me. Aiden has been with me since he was born. He is 1.5. The goal has always been adoption, but bio dad hasn't always been on the same page, that is until 6 months ago. At that point he decided that he would do a voluntary. The social workers decided to go after him as an involuntary though. We had our first court date last month. At that point my sister gave up her rights and then bio dad decided that he wanted more time. We go back to court the end of this month to see if bio dad is going to fight the unvoluntary or sign a voluntary. They are getting him for abandonment (he has never even met Aiden) and failure to provide support. So I am hoping he will make the right decision for Aiden and not drag this out.
And now my sister is pregnant with her 6th child. So who knows what the future will hold.

And now the update on things that have been happening, and a surprise or two.....
In the end of October, Aiden's bio father signed his rights away :) Now Aiden is free for adoption. His adoption should go through with in the next 2 months, just waiting on a date. In November my sister got to start doing overnights with Katie and Zac, which only lasted a week before they took the overnights away again, because she wasn't doing what she needed to be doing (which was make it to her groups and therapy). So that is where we stand right now, still doing unsupervised visit's (which have been going good).
Over Christmas, my sister and I discussed Katie's future, because I knew my sister was having a really hard time with her. My sister has decided to adopt Katie to me also!!! :D So after Christmas I talked to our worker and they thought it was for the best because when my sister has both kids she gets stressed out. They are going to start filing for TPR, and I am only hoping that bio dad (who hasn't had any contact with her since she was 9 months old) won't be a problem. Wish us luck.

SarahBethsMommy January 6th, 2011 02:26 PM

Re: It has been a crazy 3 months

Wow, that is a wild few months! It all sounds like great stuff though. Will Katie have problems being the one "mom didn't want?" I'll be praying for the whole situation. KUP!

Just_Marie January 6th, 2011 03:13 PM

wow, hoping all works out well for all the kids--great job, mama!

AlexKatieAiden Mommy January 6th, 2011 07:47 PM

No, Katie isn't really the "one" mom didn't want. 2 oldest siblings are with my parents, and I am adopting the youngest along with Katie (Katie has been with me for most of her life). So I am hoping that she doesn't feel that way. That she feels that her mom wanted to give her a better life (atleast that is what I am hoping since that is what happened).