JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/)
-   -   Getting Ready! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/2275611-getting-ready.html)

marienbrian March 14th, 2011 01:57 PM

Getting Ready!

They said after his spring break visit the last weekend of March the next visit will be moving him in!!! Yay!!!:D

SarahBethsMommy March 14th, 2011 06:26 PM

Re: Getting Ready!

YAY!!!! I can't wait to hear how he loves being your son. Tell me all about it!

esparando para bebé March 15th, 2011 08:23 AM

:bluecheer:

marienbrian March 15th, 2011 03:04 PM

Anyonr know anything abut Ohio foster care adoption subsidies?

SarahBethsMommy March 16th, 2011 10:55 AM

I know nothing about Ohio specifically. I'd ask your caseworker as they'd know better than most. Have you checked into how to get the special needs subsidy too? I know with our man, we can get it but it is a lot of paperwork. And in Alabama (I think everywhere) children adopted through foster care will keep their medicaid until they are around 18-19 years old.

marienbrian March 16th, 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahBethsMommy (Post 23364439)
I know nothing about Ohio specifically. I'd ask your caseworker as they'd know better than most. Have you checked into how to get the special needs subsidy too? I know with our man, we can get it but it is a lot of paperwork. And in Alabama (I think everywhere) children adopted through foster care will keep their medicaid until they are around 18-19 years old.

I plan on taking advantage of everything possible, no matter how much paper work is involved. I do know that he will be getting his medicaid until he's 21 for being a special needs adoption and then I will have to re-apply him as an adult with a disability once he's older. The area in KY that I am from is pretty poverty stricken and it seems medicaid cards are a birth right, lol, so I don't think he will any issues getting his medical card or finding a decent doctor. Almost every doctor around me accepts medicaid. As far as the subsidies, I am under the assumption we will be receiving on from his state for his adoption and a federal subsidy for his special needs. Since he is labelled as severe and with adhd he should get a pretty good sum each month which will help tremendously because we will be getting in home speech therapies and things and will try anything we think will help or benefit him, no matter the cost. His group of workers are wearing me out, they didn't want to help us with his medication problems (he will not take pills or liquid and if it's hidden or crushed and dissolved he knows and will not eat or drink) 6 months ago before they even thought about adoptively placing him in our home, now they want to do something and delay the move. I finally told them not to worry about it because all his doctors will change once he is in our care, we didn't care a thing for any of his doctors (especially after all of them told us it was a waste of our time and that he should be institutionalized and he will be in a few years regardless of what we do) :( So stressful!!!

SarahBethsMommy March 17th, 2011 09:04 AM

I know that here I'll have to apply every year for the special needs subsidy. The doctors have to continue to say he needs it. I think it is the same everywhere. So find a GOOD doctor that you trust who will help with that for sure.

And for speech, I'm fairly certain (pretty positive actually) that medicaid pays for speech therapy if the child is shown at a very low function. They'll also pay for voiceboxes and stuff (we're praying to get one of those if Lil Buddy doesn't start talking soon). So be sure to get him evaluated with that in mind.