JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/)
-   -   Public Adoption - Canada (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/2511271-public-adoption-canada.html)

MrsOrganization2011 April 6th, 2012 09:03 AM

Public Adoption - Canada

Hey Everyone ... I was wondering if there were any Canadians on this board that could maybe help shed some light on what I might have to go through as I enter the process for a Public Adoption in Nova Scotia Canada. I know its really different from the US.

I would appreciate any help at all!!

Just_Marie April 13th, 2012 07:48 PM

Re: Public Adoption - Canada

we did ours private/direct in AB
How long is the wait in NB? I've been told its around 10yrs for a healthy nb here

MrsOrganization2011 April 14th, 2012 01:36 AM

I'm in NS, but ... so far we are going smoothly and quickly with the process. We started in Feb and already have our PRIDE Training dates which will start in May and end in June ... then its our Home Study and we should be certified to Adopt by December. They haven't given us a time on how long before a child or a sibling group would be placed with us though. I hopefully will know more when we go to the information session on April 26th.

From speaking to people who foster in the area there are tons of children looking for their forever home, however, I don't know their age ranges yet. We stipulated we would like to adopt 0 - 24 months for our first child and then after that I don't think we will care.

Just_Marie April 14th, 2012 07:52 PM

sorry my brain was thinking NB for some reason. What an exciting process for you! I hope you're holding your kidlets soon:)

mamma_anna April 16th, 2012 10:12 AM

I have nothing to add to this thread. Just wanted to say hi :waves: and welcome to the board. I hope you'll stick around. Good luck in your adoption journey. :)

MrsOrganization2011 April 17th, 2012 04:07 AM

Thank you for the welcome ... I will be sticking around ... I can't wait till the 26th when we can go to our first information session :D

mrsjl April 30th, 2012 07:47 AM

I just wanted to give a shout out to you because I am from Nova Scotia, too! It's not very often I find another person from here on JM.

Sorry I don't really have any information on adoption. The reason I even came to this board was because I was adopted by my aunt and uncle as an older child, it's probably very different than the type of adoption you are looking for.

I wish you luck though!

MrsOrganization2011 April 30th, 2012 10:20 AM

Oh that's awesome to have someone else from NS on here. There are very few of us on the boards :D

DH and I are going through the adoption process as well as TTC

MrsOrganization2011 September 1st, 2012 03:53 AM

I haven't checked in in a while because a lot has changed. We were delayed in attending our PRIDE Training because there were some families that bumped us out due to time sensitive adoptions that they HAD to have the training for to go forward. We were a little upset but at the same time know that it must be so hard to have the children just WAITING to be taken to their forever home and they cant because of a technicality (PRIDE Training)

DH and I should be scheduled for the PRIDE Training in October/November which is perfect because in 25 days I go for Lap-Band Surgery and didn't want that to interfere with the training at all. I am trying to get healthy so that I can run around with any children we adopt/have ... so now I just wait for the dates of the course and pray its soon!

MrsOrganization2011 February 17th, 2013 01:11 PM

Well our PRIDE Training is complete, my surgery is done too and now another waiting game. We are waiting for our in home inspection/intviews which could take 8-12 months to even get started.

I am extremely happy to have another step in the adoption process completed but can't believe how long it is all taking. We started this process over a year ago already.