JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/)
-   -   Complete newbie... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/2632803-complete-newbie.html)

E Mama March 7th, 2013 07:41 PM

Complete newbie...

Hello ladies, I am totally clueless about this adoption stuff, and am hoping for some help!

Due to a genetic disorder I have, I have always considered adoption as an option for my family. My future kids have a 50% chance of inheriting the disorder, and pregnancy hormones can increase my symptoms (which have always been quite minor, thankfully). With these risks, adoption is something I've always considered. When it came down to planning for our first child, I really wanted the experience of being pregnant and we decided to have our own children naturally. Our son did inherit my condition, but luckily things appear to be okay at this point.

I've tried to do some research on adoption options, but it is so hard to figure out what sites are reputable. One site I found said that adoption can cost between $28,000-30,000... I'm pretty sure this was for a domestic adoption, not international! Is this an accurate estimation? Although I know it is more difficult, I honestly would ideally want a newborn non-special needs baby. (I imagine older, special-needs kids are not as expensive)

Are there good websites to look into general adoption info?

We go back to the geneticist in a couple months, and I'll likely talk with them about this at that time as well. We want another child, and ideally would have them 3-5 years apart, so I need to do some planning if adoption is in our future...

esparando para bebé March 8th, 2013 11:45 AM

Re: Complete newbie...

There's always foster to adopt as well. That is very low cost. :)

fromfivetosix March 30th, 2013 05:10 AM

Re: Complete newbie...

Domestic Adoption can certainly cost that amount, but it can be lower, it just depends on the situation. We have been homestudy approved and trying to adopt for almost two years and I will admit that it is not just the money that makes adoption difficult, in fact, that is probably the easiest part. It is the emotional aspect that is difficult. I would recommend starting out by going to an informational meeting and maybe try to join an adoptive parents group in your area. People who have been through the process often have the best info and are really great resources. Best of Luck in whatever path you choose!

Stephanie and Brian

parentprofile.net

Domestic Adoption can certainly cost that amount, but it can be lower, it just depends on the situation. We have been homestudy approved and trying to adopt for almost two years and I will admit that it is not just the money that makes adoption difficult, in fact, that is probably the easiest part. It is the emotional aspect that is difficult. I would recommend starting out by going to an informational meeting and maybe try to join an adoptive parents group in your area. People who have been through the process often have the best info and are really great resources. Best of Luck in whatever path you choose!

Stephanie and Brian