JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/)
-   -   Are any of you adopted? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/465970-any-you-adopted.html)

ann03 February 13th, 2007 04:42 PM

Hi, this is my first time on this board, I have three children...all boys.

I justed wanted to know if any of you were adopted? Well I am! I went through growing up knowing it, and even serched out my birth parents...if any one has any questions for me feel free to ask.

m_westbro February 14th, 2007 07:34 AM

Hi and welcome to the board!! I'm Marla, mom of 4, 2 bio boys and 2 cuties from China. It will be great to have an adoptee on the board, I'm sure your advise and wisdom will come in handy!

Your boys are very handsome! :wub:

ann03 February 14th, 2007 08:08 AM

Hi, and thankyou...they are all my bio boys. They are quite a handfull

fallsbaby February 17th, 2007 06:33 PM

I would love to ask you a few questions...if they are too personal please just let me know.

I am a HOPEFUL adoptive parent (we are just waiting for our match and "the call").

Have you always know you were adopted?
How did your parents tell you?
Do you know your birthparents and birthfamily??

Thanks for letting me ask :)

ann03 February 20th, 2007 04:06 PM

Have you always know you were adopt

I am not sure how they told me, because I grew up knowing that I was adopted, I knew all my life.

When I turned 18, I contacted the adoption agency that my parents went through, they contacted both bio parents(its the law) my birth mother wrote to me, not wanting any further contact...her family she has now does not know of me. BUT I do know my birth father, and we have met and he also met my parents.

quietsong February 22nd, 2007 09:01 AM

I'm also adopted, so I figured I would pipe up... And, like ann, I am glad to answer any questions. ^_^

Have you always know you were adopted?
I learned when I was about 5 years old that I was adopted - so basically, yes, I have.

My mother sat down on the end of the bed with me with a large envelope on her lap. She explained, in basic terms (since I was so young) how some mothers aren't able to be mothers yet, and how other mothers are ready but can't get children in the usual way. She explained to me how my birth mother was very young and loved me very much but had to give me away, so she (adopted mother) and my (adopted) father chose me to be theirs, and that made me very special. In the envelope was a letter from my birth mother that she read to me, and also a locket my birth mother gave to me that has been handed from mother to daughter through generations - with the pictures taken out, of course.

No. When I turned 18 I had the option of contacting the adoption center, but I chose not to - I appreciate everything my birth mother gave me and am so thankful to her, but I have a very happy family life and know that is a part of my past. There are times when I'm curious, but even though my parents say they will support me if I choose to find them, I know it would really hurt my mom if I went looking.

ann03 February 22nd, 2007 10:48 AM

I had to many questions I needed answered...plus I wanted to know some family history, formy kids sake.

quietsong February 22nd, 2007 04:29 PM

In Canada, at least when I was adopted, they provided all the family medical history & info... If I hadn't had that, I definitely would have gone looking before having kids.

TheyGrowLikeWeeds February 26th, 2007 12:12 AM

I too was adopted. I figured why not answer your questions too. I too will be willing to answer whatever you want to ask. I'm an open book!

Have you always know you were adopted?: Yes. I was adopted at about 5 months and from that day on, my mother would tell me all about how much she wanted a little girl.

How did your parents tell you?: My mother even read books about being adopted in order to put me to bed as a bedtime story. It really helped soften any awkward feelings.

Do you know your birthparents and birthfamily??: When I was 27 (I'm 33 yrs old now) I finally got the guts to look for my biological family. I contacted the agency I was adopted through and we discussed my options. I originally thought I'd just go in to find out my medical records, but I figured why not try to find out if anyone in my biological family was looking for me. Well, two weeks later, my adoption agent called me to tell me my biological maternal grandmother and maternal cousin had been looking for me. Well to make a long story short, I met them. Things were rough at first. My maternal grandmother never got to say goodbye to me when I was given up for adoption. She made it very clear she was not pleased I looked like my birth father and not her daughter. But, that didn't hurt me. I knew she had a bad relationship with him and blamed him for my adoption, and it's not like I made myself look like anyone specifially ;).

My cousin was nice, but very resentful that my parents gave me away. We talked for a while beyond meeting but things were just getting too difficult due to her feelings. I asked to meet my father, since my birth mother had died when I was 11 yrs old. My cousin reluctantly gave me his information. I called him. How strange. He apparently lived right around the corner from my adoptive grandmother's house while I was living there! We met when he came to visit his ex-wife. We had a long talk. It was...to say the least...informative. I did look a lot like him. He was sad and regretted giving me up so we stopped talking. I got what I wanted. I got to know where I came from, my medical history, and a little background about the family I had once been a part of. My adoptive family took it kind of hard but were trying their hardest to be supportive of my decision. They had no need to be afraid. I wasn't looking for another family. Even if they were the nicest, most welcoming people on Earth. I love my family...the family I grew up with. That's all I needed.

Let me know if there's anything you want to know.

Here's my full adoption story if you are interested. Click here

mom2my3boyz February 26th, 2007 10:23 AM

I was adopted as well.
Have you always known you were adopted?: Yes. My parents always told me I was adopted. We celebrate my adoption day every year.

How did your parents tell you?: I honestly don't remember. I was really young. It is just something I have always known.

Do you know your birthparents and birthfamily?? No. I am currently searching. I started the search process last summer.

puglvr February 27th, 2007 08:22 AM

I am also adopted. I was adopted at 5 weeks of age. I've always known I was adopted; my parents told me when I was really young so I just grew up knowing. I used to have all kinds of questions and my mom would answer them the best she could and share the information with me that social services gave her.

I sought out my birth mother when I was 19. It only took about a month because she was looking for me too, coincidentally. We were able to do the whole thing through social services.

At the time I was looking only for answers though and not so much for a relationship. After a few months, things fizzled and we lost contact. My adoptive mom died 6 years ago and a while after, I thought about looking for my birth mother again. I finally found her last year in March; they had moved to another state so that's why I'd had trouble finding her again. We now have an e-mail and phone relationship and she is very proud to be a grandmother to my new baby girl!

lisa_stevens April 9th, 2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

I am also adopted. I was adopted at 5 weeks of age. I've always known I was adopted; my parents told me when I was really young so I just grew up knowing. I used to have all kinds of questions and my mom would answer them the best she could and share the information with me that social services gave her.

I sought out my birth mother when I was 19. It only took about a month because she was looking for me too, coincidentally. We were able to do the whole thing through social services.

At the time I was looking only for answers though and not so much for a relationship. After a few months, things fizzled and we lost contact. My adoptive mom died 6 years ago and a while after, I thought about looking for my birth mother again. I finally found her last year in March; they had moved to another state so that's why I'd had trouble finding her again. We now have an e-mail and phone relationship and she is very proud to be a grandmother to my new baby girl![/b]
i was adopted at 6 months of age. I do not know my birth parents. I had a desire to find them when i was a little younger but i dont as much. I am mainly concerned with finding my medical history though, or atleast what disease my birth mother has or had. my birth father has since died (to the best of my knowledge) so I do not desire to search anything out about him. I have always known i was adopted. My adoptive father used to joke that they bought me at the store when i was a baby. When i was in kindergarten my parents sat me down one day and told me that i was adopted and asked me if i had any questions. they told me that they chose me of all the babies in the world. if you want to ask me more info or questions feel free to email me at lisa.r.stevens@gmail.com. I would love to talk to you more about adoption, or my personal experiences.
thanks.