JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Adoption (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/)
-   -   Homestudy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f84-adoption/824035-homestudy.html)

eash November 28th, 2007 12:29 PM

Help! I am terrified of the homestudy. I am not so scared of the questions or interviews but of the home visit. We are required to have the fire dept. and the health dept do an inspection and I am really worried. Our house is clean and fire safe but still have no idea what they are looking for. Also, I am worried about the home visit from the social worker.

Can you share your experiences and some tips for preparing?

Jeb-O November 28th, 2007 03:33 PM

I'd love to see what people say about this as well. Ours will be in January and I am already stressing about it!

m_westbro November 28th, 2007 06:04 PM

First of all, RELAX! Really! It's not going to be a white glove test looking for something wrong with your house. As long as it's clean, well-maintained, and there's room for a baby, then you're all set. We didn't have to do the fire and health dept inspections, but our home visits with our social worker were very casual and relaxed. We took her on a tour of the house, sat down in the living room and basically chatted while she took notes. Don't worry about having to be perfect, just be yourselves and you'll be fine. :smile:

Jeb-O November 28th, 2007 10:36 PM

You're telling me you weren't worried? :lol: That is good advice though, thank you.

m_westbro November 29th, 2007 05:44 AM

Quote:

You're telling me you weren't worried? :lol: That is good advice though, thank you.[/b]
Hehe, of course I was nervous the first time! :lol: I guess I probably wasn't that nervous though, because we already had a son at the time and I guess I was somewhat confident that I at least halfway knew what I was doing by then. ;) I can see how it would be totally nerve-wracking if you were doing a homestudy for your first child!

I'm sure y'all are going to do just fine with your home studies. Be sure and let us know how it goes!

Jeb-O November 29th, 2007 01:22 PM

Mine isn't for a while so I shouldn't freak out so soon. :lol:

jsmom November 29th, 2007 06:40 PM

We didn't have to have a fire and health inspection for ours, just the SW coming and making sure everything was okay, checking for smoke alarms, and talking to us for a couple of hours. I had a maid service come so the house was spotless. Of course, my son kept offering to give her a tour of the basement which isn't quite as clean :blink: It was fine but I was really nervous the first visit.

Paula

kayk November 30th, 2007 01:42 PM

We had ours in Sept/Oct. and i was worried b/c our basement is a work in progress to be a family room and all they did was tour the house make sure the toilet flushes, hot water came out of the sink and the smoke detectors work. They also wanted to see the kids's room and make sure you def. have room for kids they also checked to see what kids stuff we already had like car seats and furniture. then they talked to us for a few hours it was not that bad. Relax this is the first step to making your dreams come true!!! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

lblackst November 30th, 2007 08:21 PM

I was really nervous with our first one. Not so much with the next. They are usually really nice people and are just looking to get to know you. They have to write a pretty lengthy report so they ask a lot of questions. Try not to be too nervous or clean too much. They really aren't looking for perfection. They just want to get a good picture of you and your family. So be candid and talk with them like they are good friends.