JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Am I Pregnant (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f295-am-i-pregnant/)
-   -   late period, negative test results- could i be pregnant? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f295-am-i-pregnant/2631352-late-period-negative-test-results-could-i-pregnant.html)

akamocs March 3rd, 2013 08:04 PM

late period, negative test results- could i be pregnant?

In June 2012 I went off of my pill for my own reasons. I missed a period in September but began to regulate from November 2012-January 2013. The first day of my last period was January 27th. My cycle seemed to have been about 30(actually 34 based of my December-January period). My period was expected to start March 2nd. My S.O. and I were using condoms most of the time, but there were also a few occasions where we used the "pull-out method" and if I am tracking my period correctly I would have been ovulating the most recent time we pulled-out. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests from the same EPT box and both came out negative. I haven't felt stressed until now. Any help and advice is appreciated!

3/6- Urine test at health clinic negative (talked out of taking a blood test)

akamocs March 3rd, 2013 08:23 PM

Re: late period, negative test results- could i be pregnant?

Help please! Thank you

Seaweed March 4th, 2013 05:29 AM

Hello! Welcome to just mommies! :-). The pull out method is not a good way of contraception so you could get pregnant if any sperm entered at all! If you are late and still getting negatives you need to book an appointment with the doctor! They will probably do a blood test and find out! Some pregnant women dont get positives until they are a week late! Hope this helps. Are you not TTC then I take it? :-)

cutenurse24 March 4th, 2013 08:24 AM

I agree since you are late now and still got negative test results, I would make an appt to see your doctor. Hopefully your doctor can give you some answers. Keep us updated on what is going on with you.

akamocs March 4th, 2013 11:23 AM

I am going to have a blood test done on Wednesday if I still have not gotten my period. And you are correct. I was not trying to conceive but I realize I wasn't being very proactive in trying to prevent. I was just wondering if there were any women out there that have found they are pregnant after multiple negative hpt results and as a result of the pull out method. Thanks for your help though ladies. I will keep you informed!

Seaweed March 4th, 2013 11:35 AM

I know a few girls (from this forum) that were pregnant and kept getting negatives and I know a couple that only got a positive when they were a week late already! Whatever it is dont worry! Good luck and keep us posted! :-)

akamocs March 4th, 2013 11:44 AM

Thank you. I'd rather read real life experiences than cold and often debatable statistics. I really appreciate the feedback. Just wish I could know now, but I feel like the blood test will be negative and I will still be wondering where my period is and if the test was correct. Man I sound paranoid!

akamocs March 5th, 2013 12:16 PM

Mild cramping in my lower back once in a while but still no period. My breasts aren't sore but when I push on them a bit I do feel some tenderness. Is it supposed to be painful or just slightly sore?

LuvRBx5 March 5th, 2013 04:48 PM

It definitely depends woman to woman, or pregnancy to pregnancy. I had 6 pregnancies (5 babies and a chemical) and only in 2 of those I had sore breasts early on. With my second pregnancy, they were super sore but with my chemical they were sore when I poked them.

akamocs March 6th, 2013 06:20 AM

Just to update anyone following this thread:
Went to a health center today with intentions of getting blood work done. Urine test came back negative. Still no period. I am going to wait a while longer before I ask for blood work.
The NP assured me of how accurate the urine tests are and kept pushing me to get back on the pill. I understand the risks involved with intercourse, but I do not want to be on hormonal contraception anymore. I was on BC for 4 years before I stopped taking it. Anyway, that bothered me a little!
It was just an all around waste of time it seemed. I had to correct her math as we were counting on the calendar. She told me if I were pregnant, I'd be 5 weeks and that the tests I have taken would have been positive. In reality, my cycle is actually about 34 days (just based off of my period from December-January) which would make ovulation between 2/13 and 2/18 and I'd be 17-20 days pregnant.
So I don't mean to completely bash the NP. I don't doubt she is an intelligent woman, but I don't feel any better about the negative result. Guess its back to the waiting game for a while longer.

LuvRBx5 March 6th, 2013 05:05 PM

You'd still be 4 weeks- 3days or 4 weeks-6 days at 17-20 days pregnant and it's probable you'd test positive with a urine test, even without it being first morning urine. It's not impossible that you just aren't testing positive and are very early. You could have ovulated late and either conceived late or your period will come soon according to when you ovulated.

You say that your periods were irregular a couple months ago, it's possible that even if they have regulated some for some months for it to go irregular again.

As for the birth control thing, I hated everyone trying to convince me to take the pill. I took it when I was a teenager, stopped when I was 19 and got pregnant with my first. I tried again after she was born and I felt possessed, my body changed over age and the pregnancy. My dr pushed it a little so I decided to try a low dose, it went well but I got pregnant anyways on my 3rd pack (missed none and taken correctly!!). I tried again when I became single, tried the 3 month straight (Seasonale, I think) and had to go off again, the hormones made me crazy and super depressed.

LaBellaVita March 6th, 2013 08:00 PM

I would definitely be demanding a blood test!!! If you are preggo, you need prenatal care! Also (not trying to scare you) but personally when I suspect I'm pregnant but getting negatives I definitely get a blood test! Mostly because I'm scared of ectopic pregnancy. I'm going to be going for a blood test tomorrow! (:
GL!

akamocs March 7th, 2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvRBx5 (Post 27169418)
You'd still be 4 weeks- 3days or 4 weeks-6 days at 17-20 days pregnant and it's probable you'd test positive with a urine test, even without it being first morning urine. It's not impossible that you just aren't testing positive and are very early. You could have ovulated late and either conceived late or your period will come soon according to when you ovulated.

You say that your periods were irregular a couple months ago, it's possible that even if they have regulated some for some months for it to go irregular again.

As for the birth control thing, I hated everyone trying to convince me to take the pill. I took it when I was a teenager, stopped when I was 19 and got pregnant with my first. I tried again after she was born and I felt possessed, my body changed over age and the pregnancy. My dr pushed it a little so I decided to try a low dose, it went well but I got pregnant anyways on my 3rd pack (missed none and taken correctly!!). I tried again when I became single, tried the 3 month straight (Seasonale, I think) and had to go off again, the hormones made me crazy and super depressed.

I'm not saying you're wrong but how could I be at 4 weeks if its only 17 days from when I suspect conception? I figured it to be 2-3 weeks.

LuvRBx5 March 9th, 2013 08:53 AM

Because there is 2 weeks added on before you get pregnant, so if a woman says she's is 4 weeks pregnant, it's like 2 weeks from conception. This is why they estimate from LMP. Pregnancy is approx. 40 weeks, but really you aren't pregnant for the first 2 weeks, so it's more like approx 38 weeks.

akamocs March 9th, 2013 02:11 PM

Okk so the mild cramping has still been on and off. Last night I started to find brown in the discharge. Like old blood? I have seen this when I am ending my period but I didn't have a period. Maybe this is the start of a period? Hesitant to take a urine test. Is implantation bleeding a possibility at this time in my cycle? Not too much of the brown and definitely not flowing like my period does.

What is going on with my body!

akamocs March 9th, 2013 08:28 PM

Just woke up in excruciating pain with my period. Thanks for all your responses. I'm looking forward to coming back when I'm ready for pregnancy and motherhood.

Urchin March 11th, 2013 06:35 AM

It sounds like maybe you ovulated late this month. It does happen from time to time..and will make your cycle longer.

I am sorry your doctor gave you such a hard time about birth control. I also hate hormonal birthcontrol. It makes me depressed. I have tried all kinds, and I always end up depressed and not myself.

I'm on the copper IUD now which I love. No nasty hormonal side-effects.

I hope that you don't have any more issues with your period! Please stop back and visit us when you do start TTC :)

And if you like it here and want a place to hang out, feel free to visit the Waiting To Try to Conceive board. That's where I hang out :)

Loving6 March 11th, 2013 11:55 AM

It doesn't matter but wanted to add my 2 cents,the NP is correct in saying you would be about 5 weeks,you have to understand how pregnancy is calculated,she must have thought the same of you and she should have explained to you that they go by your lmp,so 2 weeks are added.