JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Am I Pregnant (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f295-am-i-pregnant/)
-   -   Question on dollar store $1 tests (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f295-am-i-pregnant/2658521-question-dollar-store-1-tests.html)

ShelleyB80 June 14th, 2013 06:14 AM

Question on dollar store $1 tests

Ok, a little background. I have PCOS, but that hasn't stopped me from conceiving three children with no trying whatsoever. Earlier this year, I decided to get the Mirena but my OB/GYN wants me to be having AF so it's easier to slide in. So the IUD is sitting in their office waiting for me! Well, I haven't had AF since April 7th. Even with the PCOS, I'm never THIS late. DH has been pulling out (sorry, TMI). I've taken a handful of tests - all negative. However, the dollar store $1 test I took yesterday at work is giving me mixed feelings. I took it on my lunch break at work, and it looked negative after 3 mins so I stuck it in my drawer. I looked at it again this morning and there's a very obvious PURPLE line. If I had my camera on me or had a camera phone, I'd post a pic. I didn't think evaps could be this obvious. I mean, it's quite a bit lighter than the control line, but it's there. Anyone have this happen with these types of tests? I would think an evap would be a colorless squinter, if anything. Or maybe the test is defective?

Even with AF being absent so long, I really don't think I O'd until early June. I normally feel pain mid-cycle and we did DTD in early June, so it's quite possible.

Urchin June 14th, 2013 06:50 AM

Re: Question on dollar store $1 tests

Hi there,

Unfortunately when you read a test after the test time limit, it can be inaccurate in any direction.

I would really consider taking another test just to be sure.

Good luck!

ShelleyB80 June 14th, 2013 07:10 AM

Yeah - that's what's frustrating. If the line I'm seeing appeared within 10 minutes, I'd take it as a positive for sure. I'll probably test again today with a FRER.

2EverAfter June 14th, 2013 07:14 AM

I would agree and say to test again!!

Spyctre June 14th, 2013 08:50 AM

That happened with me for my last two pregnancies. I've never shown early, and even at 15 DPO my tests would be fairly faint. I was 5 days late this time and last time I tested, and they took the entire time limit to show. The dollar test took at least 4-5 minutes. The control line was really dark, and I actually thought it was negative at first. So nauseated by then. I got mad thinking I just had a stomach bug, and oh, there it is! The Answer test also took a long time to show. Really really faint when it did.

My first child I got BFN's until I was 8 weeks along.

ShelleyB80 June 14th, 2013 11:05 AM

Well the FRER from today was negative. So I'm thinking the last test was a dud.

Janisdkh June 14th, 2013 12:18 PM

I would retest again with the dollar store test as they are super sensitive. The reason why they are not being sold in pharmacies is because they can pick up chemical pregnancies. An evaporation line is not purple or pink.. It is grey in color.. I would retest and watch the test. You have ten minutes to read it.. Dollar store tests do get darker when they dry. Good luck!

BTW Frer is not as sensitive as a dollar store test and it can become negative when you are actually pregnant but early.

shell1981 June 14th, 2013 02:25 PM

Ah I'm sorry it was negative today. Maybe just take another tomorrow just to be sure.