JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Acid Reflux/ Heartburn (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2630864-acid-reflux-heartburn.html)

Cortney6983 March 1st, 2013 05:38 PM

Acid Reflux/ Heartburn

Acid Reflux/ Heartburn... I have had it quite bad recently ( I can't figure out which one I have)

Does anyone have either of them and have any remedies? do you talk to your OB/ MW about it? do they give you anything for it?

I took some tums but it doesn't work long. just not sure what to do!

Sneetch March 1st, 2013 06:14 PM

Re: Acid Reflux/ Heartburn

Mine has been mild enough that Tums usually do the trick, especially when it's just at night. But if I have issues during the day, I take Pepcid. That's what my previous doctor told me to take, and I talked to my current doctor about it today, too. She said it is a category B (same as Tylenol), which is considered safe. I don't have to take it very often, but it does help when I need it.

Cortney6983 March 1st, 2013 06:16 PM

I will have to check that out! it has been ok but recently started getting worse and I have not had anything to really trigger it either

nameetog March 1st, 2013 06:21 PM

I take Zantac daily. Tums stopped working awhile ago....

linds2012 March 1st, 2013 06:22 PM

I just recently started having problems with this, tums does the trick for me!!

Cortney6983 March 1st, 2013 06:24 PM

Tums will work... for 20 min ish and then it comes back =/

ACMinAK March 1st, 2013 06:39 PM

I have heartburn really bad off an on. It seems like it flares up for a few days then goes away for a while. Tums don't really work, and then I end up taking too many and I feel sick. Honestly, the only thing that I have found that makes me feel better is drinking a glass of milk.. and I feel better almost instantaneously.

linds2012 March 1st, 2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortney6983 (Post 27152433)
Tums will work... for 20 min ish and then it comes back =/

That stinks! I'd try the ranitidine then! I hope it works for you!!

MaineBean March 1st, 2013 07:32 PM

Tums work for me during the day (when I'm sitting upright) and for break throughs at night, but for the last month or so I've been taking imitation Pepcid before bed. Otherwise I wake up choking on bile. (I still sometimes start choking when I take it, in which case I keep an open container of antacids at the ready.)

Tums used to work, but it totally wasn't cutting the mustard now. And pretty much anything I eat flares me up.

CrunchyMommaTo2 March 1st, 2013 07:47 PM

Zantac before meals and tums if I forget or still get heartburn. Milk also helps me.

Missa_Mae March 1st, 2013 09:16 PM

Zantac never worked for me

I've been on Prilosec since 12ish weeks

shorty123 March 1st, 2013 09:52 PM

i had it really bad and tums stopped working i talked to my ob and he gave me pepcid i take it 2 times a day and have'nt had it since.. and cant tell you how great that is lol

Tamimomof5 March 2nd, 2013 05:32 AM

I've been taking Zantac daily. It works better than Tums for me.

Twirlbird March 2nd, 2013 09:36 AM

Zantac is my god send!! I do try to manage it with tums and milk, but its pure stubborness that I do it that way. Everything gives me heartburn

ThaiSpice March 3rd, 2013 06:35 AM

I'd definitely try pepcid or zantac if tums aren't working. And if that doesn't help, Prilosec. Also, avoiding triggers if possible: eat small meals, avoid caffeine, chocolate, spicy good, acidic foods, candy/gum, peppermint, eating before laying down, wearing tight clothes, bending from the waist, etc.

mommy to alexander March 3rd, 2013 07:49 AM

I had to take prilosec with my son. It worked wonders for me. This time tums works. Hope you find some relief!

kimberley March 3rd, 2013 08:43 AM

Just tums for me!

plastikmom March 3rd, 2013 10:00 AM

Mine doesn't seem to be triggered by what I eat, I seem to get it worse when my stomach is empty. So I try to eat small amounts often. I think its because the pregnancy hormones relax that sphincter between your esophagus and your stomach making you much more likely to get reflux. I think its more acidic when my tummy is empty and its just gastric fluid in there refluxing. Yuck! So little meals often really help me. If that doesn't do the trick, Zantac. Tums seems worthless to me and I hate the way they taste.

~AmazedByYou~ March 3rd, 2013 10:22 AM

Protonix is the only thing that works for me. And it's by prescription only.

Mel_Kay March 3rd, 2013 12:21 PM

I have been taking zantac twice a day and it usually works. However, there have been a few times that I needed to top off with a tums or two.