JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   baby food (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2650079-baby-food.html)

utexas10 May 12th, 2013 09:08 PM

baby food

When do you plan to start givng the baby food and do you plan on making your own?

jen747 May 13th, 2013 12:13 AM

Re: baby food

I will wait til 6 months. I will make some, but not all.

nameetog May 13th, 2013 04:52 AM

I'll do baby led weaning so yes all the food will be made by me. No purees. I wont even consider food till after 6 months but it wouldn't surprise me if it were closer to 7 or 8 months

MapleGranola May 13th, 2013 05:06 AM

Baby led weaning for us as well, so whenever L is ready after 6 months, though breastmilk will still be his main source of nutrition until at least 1 year.

ThaiSpice May 13th, 2013 05:31 AM

It'll be at least 6 months before we introduce solids. We'll follow her lead after that.

mama3o May 13th, 2013 09:11 AM

I will play it by ear... I think I started when the baby started reaching for it... And I will; make plenty of my own, because I grow everything in my backyard. I do it anyway for the whole family, so I will make as much as I can!

MommysPocket May 13th, 2013 11:12 AM

Baby led weaning here too. DD wasn't interested in anything until 10 months but didn't actually start getting food regularly until a year. She was EBF until then.

MaineBean May 13th, 2013 11:27 AM

Oh heavens, I have no idea. I forget when it's supposed to be "ok" but I know it's not for quite a while yet. We'll do a blend of purchased purees, a few homemade purees, and chunks of small soft foods like avocado, banana, cheese, etc. I haven't given it much thought though since at this point I'm still fretting about my milk!

Purple_cat May 13th, 2013 12:33 PM

We'll start around 6 or 7 months. I will make everything except for some sort of organic version of cheerios which we will start whenever it is time for that (I can't remember right now).

I really liked the book Super Baby Food so we will loosely follow that.

HalfDozen May 13th, 2013 07:20 PM

We'll start cereal somewhere around 6 months, and we will just use jars of baby food. Our kids don't tend to eat any of those for long (1-3 months), as we transition them to table food (whatever we're eating) pretty quickly. We just cut it very small.

Karilynn6 May 14th, 2013 12:45 PM

I'm hoping to make most of my own food, but I guess you never know what will work until the time comes, as I've never done this before.

Purple_Cat - is the book "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron? Super Baby Food: Ruth Yaron: 9780965260312: Amazon.com: Books

That looks very helpful. Does anyone else have any book recommendations for feeding? There are so many!

Twirlbird May 14th, 2013 04:00 PM

We will baby led weaning sometime after 6 months.

Purple_cat May 14th, 2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karilynn6 (Post 27363765)
I'm hoping to make most of my own food, but I guess you never know what will work until the time comes, as I've never done this before.

Purple_Cat - is the book "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron? Super Baby Food: Ruth Yaron: 9780965260312: Amazon.com: Books

That looks very helpful. Does anyone else have any book recommendations for feeding? There are so many!

Yes, that is the book that we used with my daughter as recommended by our pediatrician. We really liked it. The book does have a vegetarian focus so you can add meat into your baby's diet at the time that meat is recommended but the book doesn't have a time line for introducing meats. Overall I thought that the book had some really healthy guidelines and my 3 year old eats a lot more vegetables than her peers which I think is in part thanks to this book. :)