JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Umbilical cord stump (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2658808-umbilical-cord-stump.html)

ThaiSpice June 15th, 2013 02:27 PM

Umbilical cord stump

I know we talked about this early on, but now that all of the babies are here...

How long did it take for the stump to fall off?

What instructions were you given about caring for it?

Anybody's still on?

Pretty Crispy June 15th, 2013 02:29 PM

We left his alone. It fell off at 6 days. It's all healed up.

nameetog June 15th, 2013 07:56 PM

Re: Umbilical cord stump

We left his alone. It took forever to fall off. It was well over 3 weeks

Kennydra June 15th, 2013 08:27 PM

It took 2 weeks for it to fall off and then she was left with an umbilical granuloma which fell off about 2 weeks ago.

We were told to just use soap and water to clean it, which I didn't get b/c I thought you weren't supposed to submerge them in the bath for that reason, but I listened. And I also used alcohol in between.

Sneetch June 15th, 2013 09:21 PM

It fell off some time around 3 weeks, and even then it was only because I accidentally pushed it off while I was putting a onesie on him. I thought it was never going to come off.

jen747 June 15th, 2013 10:26 PM

Well guess what... 7 weeks & still have it. Last week pieces of it fell off, so it's smaller but still there! (DD's took at least 6 weeks.). I was using alcohol twice a day at most, but now just occassionally. It's not stinky or gross, so I'm just impatiently waiting.

ETA: Please dont tell me to google the scary things that could cause it to take longer than most. :/

*Anya* June 15th, 2013 11:23 PM

It took 6 days, we didn't do anything to it. My first's took 5 weeks and we were cleaning it with alcohol, which I never thought of it that way, but midwife pointed out that we were preserving it essentially. Don't use alcohol! lol

utexas10 June 16th, 2013 07:49 AM

We left hers alone. It fell off at 6 days.

mama3o June 17th, 2013 03:38 AM

2 and a half weeks and nothing...left it completely alone

ThaiSpice June 17th, 2013 09:49 AM

Ugh...I can't remember now, but I think it was around 3 weeks. We didn't do anything to it. With Grace, we were told to put alcohol on it, which we did, and it fell off much earlier than Anna's did.

HalfDozen June 20th, 2013 08:18 AM

I think his fell off just before 2 weeks, but I can't remember. We weren't given any instructions so we did the same as last time - regular baths, no alcohol, etc. I had just told my hubby I hoped it fell off soon because I thought it was starting to smell.

Mommyof2with1onway June 22nd, 2013 03:09 AM

3 weeks exactly.

We used alcohol sometimes other times nothing.