JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Saving for the future? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2659288-saving-for-future.html)

ThaiSpice June 17th, 2013 11:02 AM

Saving for the future?

Have you specifically started setting money aside for your baby's future? Is it a bank account? Savings bonds? Piggy bank :)?

CrunchyMommaTo2 June 17th, 2013 11:34 AM

Both. He has a savings account we put his money from his baptism in as well as a set amount each month. All change we have goes into a piggy bank for him as well.

utexas10 June 17th, 2013 12:31 PM

Re: Saving for the future?

piggy bank. i will open a 529 plan in september.

Missa_Mae June 17th, 2013 01:04 PM

We have a savings account that we started before she was born and all cash we get for her goes in there and we set aside additional money monthly.

We also have a "Tessa Jar" in the kitchen that the majority of our loose change goes into ...

MaineBean June 17th, 2013 01:20 PM

Not really- we suck. Both kids are eligible for a $500 scholarship by being born in Maine, so they each have that. It's a 529. Ing got a gift from family that will go into hers. Otherwise James has a savings account for spending money that comes from monthly allowance, bday money, and some of our change that he puts in a piggy bank.

They are both going to only be able to afford clown college!!!

Mommyof2with1onway June 17th, 2013 01:46 PM

He has a piggy bank here at home. He also has a savings account his great grandparents set up for him. Every time the kids go over to the house they get a dollar for how many years old (Jaxon will get $1 until he turns two) but when they get $ they get to keep half and the other half goes into their piggy banks at the great grandparents. They take the older kids at least every other month to put their $ into their savings account.

MsRK June 17th, 2013 02:56 PM

I opened a 529 plan with my state the day that we received his social security card. I'm a HUGE saver (read: miser :) ) and want to instill the same traits in him. He also has an orange piggy bank that we put money in and everyone who visits drops some coins in there for him. When he is old enough I'm going to show him how to use the piggy bank and later open a little savings account for him to put some of his allowance into it.

My mother did the same thing for us growing up with the savings account and our allowance and it was great. Every few months she would let us withdraw a part of it to go do what we called "Big toy store day".. It helped us see that we could buy way more or a way bigger toy if we saved extra money to put towards what my mother was giving us to spend.

It worked like a charm because we are all big savers and crazy about our credit score being high(But the credit score is a WHOLE other crazy mom story *lol*)

kimberley June 18th, 2013 07:27 AM

He has some cash from being born that we plan to start a savings account for.

My oldest has a savings acct that granparents put birthday money in.

ThaiSpice June 22nd, 2013 07:09 AM

Grace has a piggy bank that is already pretty full...we put coins & bills in it, and she loves to add to it when she finds coins somewhere. We need to get one for Anna. That's all we have for now.

HalfDozen June 22nd, 2013 08:32 AM

We're terrible at saving so nope, whatever's in their piggy banks. ;)

Purple_cat June 22nd, 2013 09:53 AM

We set up a 529 plan as soon as she was born and we put all money into that. Although I do get slightly anxious when I think about how expensive college will be by the time my kids are old enough!

nameetog June 22nd, 2013 11:16 AM

My kids have piggy banks, savings accounts and savings bonds so far