JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Generic Baby Formula (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2659501-generic-baby-formula.html)

mama3o June 18th, 2013 07:01 AM

Generic Baby Formula

Does anyone use generic baby formula? I've heard a lot of people that use target brand formula...just wanted to know your thoughts...It is almost half the price of the other formulas and I imagine that it is FDA regulated...

ThaiSpice June 18th, 2013 10:35 AM

I'd say it's worth a try! As long as it doesn't cause problems, it should be fine. I don't have personal experience with it, though.

mama3o June 18th, 2013 11:45 AM

Re: Generic Baby Formula

I definitely am not trying to go cheap especially on a baby formula but when I looked at the two formulas side by side there are virtually no differences in the ingredients. It's silly but I was reading and it says the costs of the major brands are higher because of the cost of advertising. It makes sense when you think of all the coupons mailed out and samples.

ThaiSpice June 18th, 2013 01:19 PM

^ Totally makes sense.

mommy to alexander June 18th, 2013 01:49 PM

We used it on my other daughter and she did great, it was all we used. Evelyn though, does not work well with it. We have to stick with Similac with her or she spits everything up. I would give it a try for sure!

Purple_cat June 18th, 2013 08:31 PM

I have a friend who uses the Walmart generic and she likes it. I also see people buying the Costco generic formula all the time. I don't have any personal experience though.

twin2 June 18th, 2013 10:03 PM

Both of my sons have been on Target brand formula. Brody did great, but he was never a spitter. Brennan spits up all the time. he is on the rice added formula and actually spits up less with it versus the similac and gerber brands I have tried with the added rice. And you can't beat the price. Love it!

Cortney6983 June 19th, 2013 02:09 AM

I used Wal-Mart brand Lilly did better on it than all the other name brand ones ... shes on Enfamil Nutramigen now but her farts smell sooo bad with Enfamil, Wal-Mart brand compares to another kind on the side panel like their sensitive formula vs. Similac's sensitive and it was only off by 2-3 things and usually by a little. I'd say its worth a shot to save money! Im trying to get WIC now because they put Lilly on nutramigen which is 35$ per big can.

mama3o June 19th, 2013 04:24 AM

Wow $35 a can that is steep! I can't imagine. My 2nd son had to switch to all different formulas but never wound up on that. It's funny because he eats everything now! But my 3rd son was fine and now can't have most milks! So funny.

Cortney, I hope you get the WIC, that will help offset some of the costs for you.

I started the generic target brand gentle last night and so far so good, although she didn't sleep as good as the night before, she slept just fine, which is the same as she was sleeping every other night. I think we are at the point of moving her into her room. She's an extremely noisy sleeper and it's keeping me up. I think I'll be trying that tonight! She just snorts and sighs for an hour before she gets up. Even toots really loud! All of these things are keeping me up!

Sorry off topic!