JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Entertaining your LO (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2660516-entertaining-your-lo.html)

Karilynn6 June 21st, 2013 09:12 PM

Entertaining your LO

I'm just wondering what everyone does with their babies during the day, if you're at home with them. My baby hardly naps at all, so I'm trying to "engage" her for the majority of the day.

She really hasn't reached the stage where she's playing with toys at all. I shake them in front of her or dangle them above her, and she likes looking at them, but doesn't really reach for anything. We do tummy time after every diaper change, and I try to take her out most days because she loves looking around, but it's hard in Texas where it's basically too hot for walks when she's up. I take her to the kids pool and the children's section of our public library, but I feel like everyone looks at me like I'm crazy for having a 2 1/2 month old out at these "children's" places.

I'm spending hours a day with her on my lap facing me while I talk to her and make faces at her. I try singing and reading to her, but she seems more interested in just watching my face move.

Any ideas?

Mommyof2with1onway June 22nd, 2013 02:38 AM

Re: Entertaining your LO

We talk, he swings, his sisters try talking to him, tummy time, and we cuddle for naps. Oh, and I take lots of pics :)

I'm in Florida so we have the heat issue as well so we go out early morning or late afternoon.

ThaiSpice June 22nd, 2013 06:57 AM

Tummy time, talking, ticklng, singing, kissing, etc...and it's a little easier with #2 because big sister likes to help out with these. She also likes to talk to the mobile in her swing, look at the ceiling fan & out the window. And the other advantage of having an older sister is that she gets to tag along to her activities, like the library, playground, etc. We like to go on walks or sit outside, but it's also getting ridiculously hot here, so it's not as easy.

Pretty Crispy June 22nd, 2013 07:55 AM

Talking, tickling, play with toys - he loves to talk to and bat them around, tummy time. He loves when we make silly faces and sounds at him. We go for walks and go swimming. He swings and plays on his activity mat. I wear him while doing things around the house.

nameetog June 22nd, 2013 08:03 AM

I have older kids so Alex just comes along for what they do. We talk and sing and read of course but I do not try to engage him all day, it is too stimulating for him at 2 months he needs down time so i wear him in the sling so he can just tune out or nap etc. He plays in his seat and will bat at a toy or two or lie on the activity mat but only for short periods

utexas10 June 22nd, 2013 09:08 AM

ditto on what everyone eles has said. It is hard entertaining her all day. she does run a lot of errands with me.

Purple_cat June 22nd, 2013 09:48 AM

It sounds like you are doing a lot already!

At this age one of the things I like doing is decluttering the house. I'll pick a cabinet in the kitchen or a drawer of my dresser and get baby set up next to me and take everything out to show it to her and talk about it and then I declutter and only put back the things I want to keep. She just likes hearing me talk and being near me and I get to talk to her and get something accomplished.

bellasky June 22nd, 2013 09:51 AM

Isabelle likes grabbing on the ringsdangling from her rock n play. i song to her and talk to her. we do tummy time. hopefully once we get the boba i will be able to carry her more often. we are going on vacations next month to Colorado then Texas so she will get plenty of interaction then

Karilynn6 June 22nd, 2013 01:07 PM

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I like your de-cluttering idea, PurpleCat.

ThaiSpice June 22nd, 2013 01:44 PM

Agreed...that is a good idea!

nameetog June 22nd, 2013 02:05 PM

Totally awesome idea. Now, please send me the motivation! ; )

kimberley June 23rd, 2013 05:23 PM

Ditto to everyone else, I also put him in his bouncy in the bathroom while I shower, he likes staring at our shower curtain and I play peekaboo the whole time. He loves the water sounds too.

MaineBean June 23rd, 2013 07:08 PM

Ingrid likes talking to us on her changing pad, hanging out in a bouncer while I shower, and..... um... that's about it. She is a real fussbudget and really has only about 5-10 minutes per awake period where she's content. Changes of scenery, toys, books, singing, laying, sitting, bouncing... she couldn't care less! She has 5 states- asleep, eating, upset because she isn't eating or sleeping, 5-10 min bursts of happy, and fake happy but really just about to barf.

She's a complex character.