JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   What's cooking? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2660819-whats-cooking.html)

ThaiSpice June 23rd, 2013 12:25 PM

What's cooking?

Have you cooked/baked anything yummy lately?

Did you cook more while pregnant, or now that baby is here?

Purple_cat June 23rd, 2013 03:47 PM

Re: What's cooking?

I need to get back to cooking. I have been doing a lot of baking in the morning and that is not helping me lose these 10 pounds that are hanging around my midsection. I was thinking I should be cooking meals during that time instead of baking.

I cooked a lot more when I was pregnant. Instead of nesting I went on some sort of constant cooking spree. It was great because we always had lots of great healthy food to eat.

MaineBean June 23rd, 2013 07:17 PM

It's been pretty steady with cooking before, during and after pregnancy. I mean, the first month was a lot of pre-prepped stuff that I had in the freezer and quick meals, but I'm back to normal now. Which is to say homecooked 95% of the time.

As for yummy stuff lately, tonight we had a pretty darn tasty meal. Nothing so fancy, but good. It was baked hake (a generic white fish) with fresh lemon juice and olive oil drizzled, topped with chopped fresh dill and breadcrumbs. Then I made a salad with spinach, sliced strawberries that we went out and picked today, toasted almonds (toasting is so key!), crumbled blue cheese, and a jarred balsamic vinaigrette. Nom nom nom.

The last month we've had some good things like a pecan and mustard crusted salmon, grilled chicken Caesar salad with homemade croutons and dressing, my favorite potato salad with hard boiled egg in there, and vanilla cake with strawberry filling and whipped cream frosting.

utexas10 June 23rd, 2013 07:58 PM

I have cooked more now. I didn't really cook while preggers but I decided I should learn how to so that I can cook little A some healthy meals when she gets older.

Pretty Crispy June 24th, 2013 05:43 AM

I've been cooking more now. It's actually easier to cook while wearing baby than it was to cook the last trimester.
This past month we've tried a new recipe every night so we can increase meal ideas. We've had a lot of good ones and only a few flops. I get most of them off of Pinterest.
I made a tater tot casserole last night which was pretty yummy. Had a confetti Mac n cheese the other night which was delicious and full of vegetables.
Tonight I am making basil and mozzarella stuffed chicken with corn on the cob.

Mommyof2with1onway June 24th, 2013 06:57 AM

I made Miranda Lambert's mommas meatloaf last night (thank you Pinterest) and it was good.

Today I am making chicken Alfredo in the crock pot

Tomorrow is cheeseburger pie (Pinterest)

Wed: spaghetti with meatballs in the crockpot

Thurs: chicken bacon ranch in crockpot.

I love my crockpot :)

mama3o June 24th, 2013 06:59 AM

I cook about the same, but I'm about to go on a cooking frenzy as when my garden comes in I get the urge to cook everything I grow....Tomatoes, zucchini, squash, potatoes, onions, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, green beans, sweet peas,etc... It's my most favorite time of year to cook!

Sneetch June 24th, 2013 11:55 AM

I'm making dinner for a friend's family tonight because she just had a baby. I'm doing beef stroganoff. I haven't made it for a long time, but it's one that I know I won't mess up. Something always seems to go wrong when I'm cooking for other people.

I have been cooking about the same as before. Which isn't enough. But DH and I decided he's going to start taking care of dinner most of the time anyway. He's a picky eater and I was discouraged trying to cook for him, so it's up to him now. :)

ThaiSpice June 24th, 2013 12:20 PM

I don't cook terribly often, mostly because DH usually works evening shift, so he's not home. Combine that with a picky toddler, and well, we just usually go with something easy, or I'll cook something one day and we'll eat leftovers for some days. I did cook quite a bit in the 2nd trimester (holiday stuff) and third trimester (freezer meals, mostly).

Since having Anna, I haven't done a ton of cooking, but I have made soup a couple of times, a casserole, a few different kinds of cookies, and for father's day I made dinner for DH: stuffed manicotti (which I can't eat, but he raved about), and a really yummy gluten free cheesecake.

Oh, and I made some really yummy "no bake energy bites" last week that make a good little snack. And since they have oatmeal and flaxseed meal, they're milk supply friendly!

Mommyof2with1onway June 24th, 2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaiSpice (Post 27473173)
I don't cook terribly often, mostly because DH usually works evening shift, so he's not home. Combine that with a picky toddler, and well, we just usually go with something easy, or I'll cook something one day and we'll eat leftovers for some days. I did cook quite a bit in the 2nd trimester (holiday stuff) and third trimester (freezer meals, mostly).

Since having Anna, I haven't done a ton of cooking, but I have made soup a couple of times, a casserole, a few different kinds of cookies, and for father's day I made dinner for DH: stuffed manicotti (which I can't eat, but he raved about), and a really yummy gluten free cheesecake.

Oh, and I made some really yummy "no bake energy bites" last week that make a good little snack. And since they have oatmeal and flaxseed meal, they're milk supply friendly!

Please share the energy bites recipe :

ThaiSpice June 25th, 2013 12:01 PM

Here's the link: No Bake Energy Bites | Gimme Some Oven

I didn't use chia seeds, but did add sunflower seeds and sliced almonds. You could also add brewers yeast for some extra breast milk boost. The recipe says chill the mixture 1/2 hour, but I think longer is better. I used honey, not syrup...seemed like honey would be better for holding them together. And I stored mine in the refrigerator because I like them chilled.

Purple_cat July 2nd, 2013 03:05 PM

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I am going to make these too! I thought the pumpkin ones on her site looked really good too!

ThaiSpice July 5th, 2013 01:44 PM

I made those again yesterday, and this time I added a tablespoon of cocoa powder. Yum!