JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   how much (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2680424-how-much.html)

Cortney6983 September 21st, 2013 07:28 AM

how much

Who ever bottle feeds ( breast milk or formula) how much are your LOs eating

ThaiSpice September 21st, 2013 08:09 AM

Usually 4-5 oz breastmilk, though sometimes only 2. That's at daycare. At home she still breastfeeds.

utexas10 September 21st, 2013 10:52 AM

Re: how much

I bf before I leave for work and she probably gets 5 ounces. Then the nanny feeds her usually 2-3 times and it totals 12- 15 ounces. Then she nurses 1-2 times when I get home.

MaineBean September 21st, 2013 11:41 AM

Ingrid's bottles are on average 3 oz, with some being 2.5 up to 4 oz. I remember when James had formula at this age, the quantity went up by now, but Ingrid is content usually with whatever I pump, which is less.

dylans_mommy September 21st, 2013 12:43 PM

I bottle feed Nutramigen and he seems to take more of that than he did the other formulas we tried, maybe because it works better for him. He will usually take a 6 oz bottle at a time. We're also using solids, so if he eats more solids at night he will take a 4 oz. It isn't exactly consistent.

Cortney6983 September 21st, 2013 01:35 PM

Hmm ok so maybe that's why Lilly is spitting up so much she is eating 6 oz every 3-4 hours maybe i was mistaking her fussyness before for hunger...

ThaiSpice September 21st, 2013 02:41 PM

It's possible, although I do think with formula, the amount does increase over time, whereas with breast milk, they usually stay fairly consistent (volume doesn't necessarily increase much over time).

Missa_Mae September 21st, 2013 04:22 PM

Tessa was getting 5oz every 2-3 hours but was spitting up a ton & the Ped said we were over feeding so we cut back & now she's taking 4oz every 3-4 hours and barely spits up anymore

ashley22pa September 21st, 2013 05:11 PM

Cole gets 4 oz every 2- 2 1/2 hours. Occasionally I will give him a 6 oz one when I can tell he is especially hungry. We also started baby food which he usually gets twice a day.

Cortney6983 September 21st, 2013 07:08 PM

I am going to try her back on 4 oz and make 2 after if she is still hungry and from that I will give her another oz at a time slowly that way I can see if maybe we are giving her too much, I do know she has reflux (I forgot her medicine one day what a horrrribbbleee sight that was!)

HalfDozen September 21st, 2013 07:19 PM

He's usually eating 2-3 ounces at a time. I learned my lesson at day care with the lat one. I don't send more than 12 ounces a day for him (10 hours) because I know how often he eats at home. If I send more, they use it, even if it's in the freezer. He actually used to eat 4-5 at a time, but he has cut back. I think he just eats what he "needs" from the bottle because I don't think he's crazy about it.

MsRK September 22nd, 2013 02:59 AM

When DH is feeding him pumped milk he drinks about 6oz every 3-3.5 hours. Sometimes a LITTLE less but mostly he will down 6oz without blinking.

Missa_Mae September 22nd, 2013 07:54 AM

I would do 4oz then wait. Babies don't know they are full right away and she may very when the bottle is out of her mouth but if you distract her or some thing She may stop crying. Remember just because she is fussy doesn't always mean she is hungry

bananamagic September 22nd, 2013 08:21 AM

Colton has 6oz about every 3-4 hours during the day. He also has baby food twice a day. Sometimes he stops at less than 6 oz but he usually polishes it off pretty quickly.

kimberley September 25th, 2013 05:31 PM

Why don't breastfed babies increase their feedings by much? Does the milk change as they get older to accommodate what they need? Ryder's never had a bottle but he nurses for short times but still 3-4 hours apart. I wonder how much milk he's getting in the MAYBE 5 minutes of nursing. Just curious

Twirlbird September 25th, 2013 05:41 PM

Henry gets 3 ozs of boob juice. He will eat and eat though from the bottle and then nurse for comfort and vomit it all up. Therefore only 3 oz. Im never gone long so I know with the 3oz he's not starving and he's just fussy, not pissed off.

Cortney6983 September 25th, 2013 09:06 PM

So i realized that she was eating way to much because with formula you put the water then the formula... which makes it more so with the water at 6 oz the 3 scoops of formula would make it closer to 7 oz! So now she is eating only 5 oz and is not spitting up much at all!!!

MaineBean September 26th, 2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberley (Post 27680645)
Why don't breastfed babies increase their feedings by much? Does the milk change as they get older to accommodate what they need? Ryder's never had a bottle but he nurses for short times but still 3-4 hours apart. I wonder how much milk he's getting in the MAYBE 5 minutes of nursing. Just curious

I cant' remember where I read it, but I'm 99% sure the way breastmilk works is that it is just really efficient at providing the calories and fat baby needs in a smaller amount than formula. Thus BF'ed babies often don't need additional or larger feedings.

I found this article on KellyMom- my go to for nursing info. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

nameetog September 28th, 2013 11:56 PM

^ yep. The way breastmilk works is your body knows how old baby is of course so you produce exactly what baby needs for that age. The milk changes accordingly

shorty123 September 30th, 2013 08:50 PM

maygan drinks 8 oz every 4-5 hrs and she sleeps all through the night so she drinks about 4-5 bottles a day and i often wonder where she puts it all because she surely isnt growing she is 14,5 and 23 inches and she is 7 months still wearing 0-3 month clothing