JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Check-in: eating (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2683426-check-eating.html)

ThaiSpice October 4th, 2013 06:43 AM

Check-in: eating

Where is everyone at as far as eating is concerned?

Who is still getting breast milk/formula only?

Who has started solids? What kinds of foods? How are they liking it so far?

If you haven't started solids, what's your plan for starting?

Pretty Crispy October 4th, 2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaiSpice (Post 27701995)
Where is everyone at as far as eating is concerned? Who is still getting breast milk/formula only? Who has started solids? What kinds of foods? How are they liking it so far? If you haven't started solids, what's your plan for starting?

L is extremely interested in our food but is still exclusively breastfed!
I'm holding solids off for now. I don't see a real need for it. Will play it by ear now that we are almost at 6 months but I'm not rushing it.

*Anya* October 4th, 2013 11:49 AM

Re: Check-in: eating

Still EBF here too, she'll be 6 months in a few days and I might try giving her a banana to play with sometime soon, but every time I think I'm going to do it I don't lol. I feel like we just recently got a good rhythm with eating and no gas issues, I really don't want to mess with it.

jen747 October 4th, 2013 12:34 PM

EBF & no solids yet. My plan was to wait til 6 months & then decide. I do feel like he'll be ready. He's been trying to sit unassisted, even if only a few seconds, but today he made it a minute or two. For some reason, it hurts my heart to think about starting solids. It's a fun time, but first you introduce some food & the next thing you know, they're headed off to college. Lol. This is all going by too fast for me.

ThaiSpice October 4th, 2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen747 (Post 27703075)
EBF & no solids yet. My plan was to wait til 6 months & then decide. I do feel like he'll be ready. He's been trying to sit unassisted, even if only a few seconds, but today he made it a minute or two. For some reason, it hurts my heart to think about starting solids. It's a fun time, but first you introduce some food & the next thing you know, they're headed off to college. Lol. This is all going by too fast for me.

This. I'm in no hurry, because it's all going too quickly. She'll be six months soon, and we'll just play it by ear.

utexas10 October 4th, 2013 03:05 PM

Baby A is 7 months old and loves her food. She is still mainly bf but she eats 2 meals a day that are 2 ounces each. We will be moving to 3 meals per day next week. I love watching her face when she tries new foods. It is so fun.

MsRK October 4th, 2013 04:02 PM

Darion has been eating his puree veggies and fruits once a day now. He loves the veggies and is ok with the fruits. He has been sitting unassisted since ALMOST a week before he became six months. And has been feeding himself with the spoon. I still assist him with putting more food ON the spoon but he lifts it to his mouth and cleans it off before trying to put it back into the little bowl to get more.

I BF or bottle feed him breast milk for the rest of the day. I will be moving to solids two times a day before he is 8months.

Hugo&Sergiosmom October 6th, 2013 03:10 PM

We started Fi on solids a month ago following her lead. She was sitting up already w/out support and grabbing at all our foods, and waking all night to nurse so our dr. ok'd it. She ate voraciously and grabbed the spoon to do it herself! She started with rice cereal, then carrots, then sweet potatoes, applesauce, and now has had bananas, peaches & green beans. Whew! I add rice cereal to almost all of those since she likes things really thick. She wants 2 or 3 servings a day now in addition to breastmilk. She also eats teeny tiny broken up pieces of bread. This is how Sergio was at her age and ironically he's borderline underweight now... lol...

HalfDozen October 6th, 2013 09:56 PM

Still breast milk only. I have bags and bags of cereal and baby food stored. I know hubby is getting anxious to start him on stuff, but I'm not in much of a hurry. He is definitely interested in what we're eating, but maybe I'm lazy. It is so much easier to breast feed than to bother with feeding him other food. I'm sure we'll start him before long, especially since my supply is really depleted. I am struggling on weekends to get enough caught up so that he will have enough breast milk when I'm working during the week.

nameetog October 7th, 2013 05:26 AM

Still EBF here. He is really interested in everything I eat now and is sitting OK. He'll be 6 months shortly and I've been thinking maybe I'll pick up an avocado or try bananas or something but I haven't pulled that trigger yet. Like others said it seems it all changes from here and all too fast!

MaineBean October 7th, 2013 07:15 AM

Ingrid is still mostly BF, but we're def moving into the land of solids. Last night we gave her a decent bowl of wheat (or something) baby oatmeal with no breastmilk and she was chowing it down. DH did most of the feeding and he hates her getting so messy, so he mostly spoon fed her. When I took over (after cooking our dinner), I mostly let her have the spoon. She both likes trying to do the food thing and just gnawing on the spoon.

I tried to give her some banana last week (or the week before?) and she was all "what in the hell is this I'm putting in my mouth?!" We'll try that again another day. I also was going to give her some soft carrots, but I didn't cook it enough so it would have been too much for her. I let her suck on a green pepper piece last week- she liked that.

I think she's got a ways to go with the whole learning to chew thing, but we're taking a nice slow pace and it's going well.

Sneetch October 7th, 2013 07:34 AM

Still breastfed, but we tried oatmeal last night and he hated it. So we'll wait a bit before we try it again, and maybe try something different when we do.

HalfDozen October 8th, 2013 11:19 AM

The hubby decided to try some baby food last night, and he was very interested and grabbing for the spoon. So, I took 1 jar and some rice cereal to day care today. Let them feed him and make a mess. ;) He will still be primarily breastfed, but he is so much more interested in eating what we're eating, especially with so many older siblings around.

Karilynn6 October 8th, 2013 03:13 PM

Alice was super interested in food and always trying to grab at it when she could. She's been sitting unassisted since before 5 months, so we fed her pureed carrots the day she turned 6 months (a week ago). She loved the carrots, and has also eaten peas, rice cereal, avocado, and pears. She loves her food! We are feeding her twice a day now, but she still gets breastfed many times a day, and I'm pumping daily to try to keep up my supply.

Cortney6983 October 8th, 2013 03:20 PM

Who is still getting breast milk/formula only? Lilly gets formula. 5 oz every 3-4 hours

Who has started solids? What kinds of foods? How are they liking it so far? We started solids at 4 months and it has helped her pooping and has helped her reflux and she's not as hungry so quick, she eat's all kinds except ones with the meats I'm not sure when to start those ones. she eats 2 times a day. she loves her food time! she is starting to figure out how to get the food in her mouth herself lol