JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Elf on a Shelf (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1865-april-2013-playroom/2693296-elf-shelf.html)

ThaiSpice November 19th, 2013 08:57 AM

Elf on a Shelf

Anyone here do Elf on a Shelf with your older kids? If not, or if you don't have older kids, do you plan to start?

nameetog November 19th, 2013 10:33 AM

Re: Elf on a Shelf

We have elves (2) They are Magic Elves not the elf on the shelf. Our elves do not come Thanksgiving night and they do not report back to Santa behavior. I never use Santa is watching as a threat in my house. It is a pet peeve of mine, I see it as an empty threat because who REALLY is going to leave just coal. Just how I see it. Our elves visit, cause mischief and just add fun to the season. We have fairies, elves, trolls etc "visit" or play a part in our family in many ways all year long ; )

MaineBean November 19th, 2013 01:19 PM

Nah, it's too much pressure and work. Ok, not even pressure and I'm sure I'd enjoy making mischief with them, but that makes me think I'd waste a lot of precious holiday time messing with the elf. I think I might do that dinosaur thing though that's been on Facebook, but maybe in February as a wintertime diversion. There is already plenty to enjoy in December without having to worry about moving the elf!

utexas10 November 20th, 2013 08:14 AM

I bought one and will get it out this year but I think A is too young to understand the mischief aspect of it.

ThaiSpice November 22nd, 2013 07:49 AM

I've never done it. In some ways, I think it could be kind of cute, and Grace would probably get a kick out of waking up in the morning and going to see where it was. However, I don't like the Santa threat either, really. And...isn't Santa supposed to just "know" who's been good or bad, anyway, because of his magic LOL? But the main reason I don't do it is that I just don't have the time or energy to keep up with it--especially the elaborate pranks and mischief that involve things like the elf baking cookies and leaving a horrible mess all over the kitchen. I barely have time to get the necessary things done in the evening. I don't even have time to bake cookies after the girls are in bed, much less make a giant mess & set up a cute little elf scene, and then clean it all up the next day. Cute, but just not something I have the time for--at least not every day.

HalfDozen December 4th, 2013 03:07 PM

My older girls were already past that phase when it got popular a few years ago. My mom bought one for Katie this year, but it's a plush one. My 3rd is having fun coming up with different scenarios for it, but we just started the other day. She has been setting them up before she leaves for school in the morning so it's not so much pressure of remembering at night, particularly since everyone goes to bed pretty much at the same time. Since she's only 2, I let her touch it and carry it around, even though I know you're not "supposed" to since it messes with their magic. She is having fun seeing where he is, and she wants him to eat meals with us, etc.

JennBer December 4th, 2013 04:58 PM

DD1 is past it and DD4 is too young. We have one that moves around and does stuff when the twins are with us(if I remember) but we don't use it as a threat or anything, in fact we don't even have the book that goes with it. We just move the thing around and then we are all like "what is he into now? that troublesome elf!" and have a good laugh.