JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   April 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1974-april-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Runway (furbaby) update! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1974-april-2014-playroom/2704726-runway-furbaby-update.html)

katiep726 January 22nd, 2014 06:38 PM

Runway (furbaby) update!

Many of you read and responded to my post a few weeks ago about our furbaby, Runway. Basically, we thought he was completely paralyzed and needed a $3,000-5,000 or would need to be put down. I took him to see a couple different vets and did tons of research. After everything I heard and read we decided that we would try a conservative treatment first and then play it by ear. Obviously the timing is not great right now! Not only the baby, but we just started an expensive finishing project on our basement. Not to mention all of the other fun expenses life decides to throw at us! But I just couldn't imagine putting him down, he's only 5 years old!

Come to find out, there is a ton of information on the internet about dachshunds and particularly this disk disease that is very common. I found some great support groups that have really put my mind at ease and literally answered hundreds of my questions! It hasn't necessarily changed our treatment but it has definitely made me feel better.

Anyway, a few weeks ago he was completely dragging his back legs, like his belly was on the ground. He didn't wag his tail and it just hung there limply. His legs pretty much looked like noodles, they were soo floppy! His paws would knuckle and his feet would cross when we took him out to use the bathroom. It was so hard to watch and made me a nervous wreck :(.

Three weeks later he is wagging his tail regularly and can move his back legs! We use a sling on his back legs to support his weight and with this he can walk! He actually puts the pads of his paws on the ground and takes steps. I support the majority of his weight but he does put pressure on them. He even tries to stand up in his crate. He still falls over because he cannot support his weight, but he is so much better than he was! I honestly can't believe it!

Everything I have read says that 8 weeks crate rest is a MUST. Considering we are only 3 weeks in, I'm feeling pretty good about his progress. The vet says he may never be able to do everything he did before, but we are out of the "danger zone" of needing to be put down- as long as we keep letting him heal and don't let him re-injure himself.

The crate rest is driving him (and the rest of us) crazy! The construction in the basement isn't helping either. I actually got some tranquilizers for him today because I don't want him to hurt himself getting all riled up.

So this turned into an entire novel, but just wanted to update everyone. Thanks for all of the positive thoughts! They are very appreciated and keep them coming :)

geogeek January 22nd, 2014 06:50 PM

Re: Runway (furbaby) update!

I bet he would be going stir crazy! I am SO glad to hear that he is healing. I hope that he continues to do well and get back to normal.

shirley_ann January 22nd, 2014 06:51 PM

Sooooooooooooooooo happy for the progress he is showing <3

juliebee123 January 22nd, 2014 07:04 PM

I am so glad to hear that he is improving. I hope he continues. :)

Boos Moo January 22nd, 2014 11:04 PM

So happy to hear.

katiep726 January 23rd, 2014 04:14 AM

Thanks ladies!! I had a vet tell me a couple weeks ago that there was no way he'd improve without surgery so this is really encouraging! Fingers crossed he keeps moving in the right direction!

Jessimaaka January 23rd, 2014 06:20 AM

What fantastic news!!!! I'm so happy to read this!

NehaT January 23rd, 2014 06:54 AM

I am glad about his improvement! He will recover soon.

Karen182 January 23rd, 2014 06:58 AM

Hang in there little Runway! Hope he continues to head in the right direction. I know I am distraught whenever there's something off with my fur baby, so I'm sure this is a major weight off your shoulders that he's made a turn for the better!

Tamara22 January 23rd, 2014 10:52 AM

Thats awesome news!!

ChiChica January 23rd, 2014 04:13 PM

I'm so glad he's getting better!!! I almost lost one of my pups to a bone infection when she was about the same age. Restricting their movements is so hard, but is critical and worth it to get them healthy again. I'll be thinking of you and Runway and hoping that his progress continues.