JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Atheist and Agnostic Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/)
-   -   Child abuse=Miracle?!? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/2074244-child-abuse-miracle.html)

2kids2cats1dog August 16th, 2010 06:13 AM

Child abuse=Miracle?!?

I am a 20/20,48 Hours, Dateline junkie. If I see there is one on, I dvr it to watch without commercials. Last nighti watched one about Shawn Hornsby-- a kid who was kidnapped and held captive by a pedofile for well over four years. After that point, the guy got bored and snatched another kid. Within a few days, witnesses to the second kidnapping were able to lead the getting back both kids--but not until the guy had already managed to mess with the second kid.

The whole story is sickening and you feel awful for the families. The kid seems to have kept a wonderful spirit and was able to kind of recover--socially, educationally, etc. He cites his faith in his family for getting him through. I was touched.

During the story, though, there were shots of churches with "Praise God for bringing them home!" and other such sentiments. At the end of the piece the mother says something about his return being a true miracle.

***?! Where was God when that boy was being held against his will, screwed with emotionally, and raped repeatedly? What about having another kid kidnapped and primed for the same treatment--what about that is a miracle?!

Was God simply perusing the list of horrible things that happened one day when he wasn't paying attention--then said, "Oh crap! Let me wrestle up another kid who could stand a little innocence destruction--and make sure some guy sees the weird truck. Then--it'll be a day-yum mur-a-cull, and people won't think twice that it happened on my watch."

ShesaDreamer August 16th, 2010 08:47 AM

Re: Child abuse=Miracle?!?

Oh yes just like National disaster=sign of the apocolypse

Religious nuts really get on my nerves with all this stuff.

Wildfire37 August 16th, 2010 10:04 AM

Ugh. You're right. Nothing about that is a miracle at all. I mean it's great that the kid was found, but I don't think I would credit that to the "all-powerful" dude who was apparently over four years late with his "miracle".

2kids2cats1dog August 16th, 2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShesaDreamer (Post 21207386)
Oh yes just like National disaster=sign of the apocolypse

Religious nuts really get on my nerves with all this stuff.

Ugh, I know!

My mother is not religious--has never lived by a single tenant of the Bible, but still believes there is a God.

Why?

Well, because when I was 5 years old, she let my 7 year old sister and me cross a street and walk a block away to the park. When we were coming back, I ran in the street and was hit by a car. I was in the hospital for 10 days with a skull fracture and physical therapy.

She believes in God--and while she listens to my frustrations about stories like this-- she believes there is a god because I SURVIVED that accident.

Ummm--why the hell should you be happy that a being allowed your child to suffer like that, a higher power that allowed you to almost lose a child when you had a 6 week old baby, no husband, and a were on welfare. Why, oh why, would you believe that someone would do any of that to you--but then LET your child live?

It just doesn't make an ounce of sense!

melkissa2004 August 20th, 2010 08:21 PM

It's completely illogical but I guess that's hard to see when you have a veil over your face.

*Kiliki* August 25th, 2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melkissa2004 (Post 21260796)
It's completely illogical but I guess that's hard to see when you have a veil over your face.

:ditto: