JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Atheist and Agnostic Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/)
-   -   Is this correct? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/2093775-correct.html)

mrsrrjgandmx September 3rd, 2010 07:08 PM

Is this correct?

Last night I was meeting with my therapist and this being the 1st time I had met her I was giving out tidbits of who I am aside from why I'm in therapy. I told her I'm atheist and she told me that seeing as I've never believed in god or followed on any path to god then I can't be an atheist because true atheists are those who feel that they don't need to believe in god, attend church, etc. because god is all around them. It confused me but I let it be seeing as that is not the reason I'm going and I've decided to take it up@a later session. Is this true? I was always under the impression that what she spoke of is agnosticism not atheism. I feel duh duh dumb.

tiredmom September 3rd, 2010 08:10 PM

Re: Is this correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsrrjgandmx (Post 21410107)
Is this true? I was always under the impression that what she spoke of is agnosticism not atheism. I feel duh duh dumb.

you are right and she is the dumb one. Although I don't know that her definition even really fits agnosticism either at least not all agnostics.

melkissa2004 September 4th, 2010 09:39 AM

Uh yeah, she is an idiot. That's so far from the truth. What she described would be more spiritual than agnostic OR atheist IMO.

Carmela September 4th, 2010 11:09 AM

Yeah what she described sounds like more of a pagan/ Wiccan type belief system. Believing in the "energy" of god around you and connecting all things. The primary definitions I have always heard -
Agnostics do not believe in a particular god, but do not discount one since it can't be disproven (many even believe in a supreme being, just not one talked about in any of the human religious books, bible, koran, etc.)
Atheists do not believe there is a god of any kind at all.
There are other definitions out there though. I don't know how long ago it was but someone posted a link to long complicated definitions many religious labels.

If I had to guess I would say your therapist is a chrisian, or religious person of some type, and doesn't understand not believing. So she has made up a definition to rationalize it to herself.

mrsrrjgandmx September 4th, 2010 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone. I don't discredit her ability to help me with my issues based on her religious beliefs however I would not like to discuss religion or spirituality with her in any of my sessions, as I said that is not why I'm going. :) I honestly don't know what religion she claims as her own and to me it doesn't matter what provided she leaves me alone with it. :lol: