JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Atheist and Agnostic Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/)
-   -   so last night... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/2094966-so-last-night.html)

*Kiliki* September 5th, 2010 02:34 PM

so last night...

i went to a catholic wedding...and its not the first time i've been to one....the second actually...but man i found myself sitting there thinking how ridiculous it was LOL what is with the bells??? so odd??

Delekatala September 5th, 2010 03:33 PM

Re: so last night...

My husband is catholic, and so is his family. I always seem to have to take the kids to the crying room during the weddings....... LMAO. What will I do when they are grown.

Zanahoria September 5th, 2010 04:42 PM

I went to my first Catholic wedding last June, I don't remember any bells. But then, I was SOOOO focused on keeping my two year old quiet and occupied (Nerds candy is my magic secret!) that I really missed almost the whole wedding, which is really too bad since my four year old was the ring bearer!

It was funny, the wedding coordinator, who was a COMPLETE WENCH (the groom later gave her what-for), was getting on everyone's nerves and came up to me during the rehearsal and started making small talk, and I mentioned that I'd never been to a Catholic wedding before. She then asked me what church I go to and I replied, "Oh, I'm from California, we don't have church there." She got the most perplexed look on her face and just said, "Uh, okay..." and immediately walked away. LMAO

melkissa2004 September 5th, 2010 05:21 PM

I've never been to one! What's with the bells??

tiredmom September 5th, 2010 05:44 PM

I've been to a several, but don't remember bells?
I do remember being really offended at my aunt's wedding where she had to promise any future children she had to God and the catholic church. I think I was all of 10 years old at that wedding, but I just seemed so wrong to me even then. They didn't do that at the last few catholic weddings I've been to, so maybe that's just up to the individual priest?

*Kiliki* September 13th, 2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanahoria (Post 21423598)
I went to my first Catholic wedding last June, I don't remember any bells. But then, I was SOOOO focused on keeping my two year old quiet and occupied (Nerds candy is my magic secret!) that I really missed almost the whole wedding, which is really too bad since my four year old was the ring bearer!

It was funny, the wedding coordinator, who was a COMPLETE WENCH (the groom later gave her what-for), was getting on everyone's nerves and came up to me during the rehearsal and started making small talk, and I mentioned that I'd never been to a Catholic wedding before. She then asked me what church I go to and I replied, "Oh, I'm from California, we don't have church there." She got the most perplexed look on her face and just said, "Uh, okay..." and immediately walked away. LMAO

omfg i am sooooooo laughing at that "from california" omg lmfao!!!

MommaJones September 15th, 2010 06:00 PM

It must be up the church. Growing up, never did I hear bells at any of the churches I went to. But when I visited my Grandmother, they had the bells. I think it just helps fill the silence and makes services more pretty.