JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Atheist and Agnostic Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/)
-   -   Xmas celebrating by atheists (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/2184581-xmas-celebrating-atheists.html)

smsturner December 8th, 2010 07:01 PM

Xmas celebrating by atheists

I was just reading through the threads, and I just had to say that it's comforting to have some other atheists that celebrate xmas and feel we have every right to!
I do NOT get the feeling by christians that atheists have no right to the holidays...for god's sake, here in america it's pretty much a cultural holiday. And that's how we celebrate. A secular tradition in our family (if that makes sense).

Last year my sister and her wife (surprisingly gay AND huge christians - i don't get sticking so hard to a religion that doesn't want you...) came to our house here and had a big holiday dinner, and exchanged presents and all, and just had a nice celebration for christmas. THEN 2 days later commented to me on facebook that if you don't love god and believe he sent jesus then you should not be celebrating.
I was sooo peeved!! not sure what we are doing to see them this year for the holiday.

anyway, i thought this was a pretty one off thing. i didn't realize that so many people say it and think it!! it's really annoying. and silly, considering how little of this holiday we have is actually about god!

so. thanks ladies for thinking the same things!! it's nice to have you here :)

Jenna December 8th, 2010 09:39 PM

Re: Xmas celebrating by atheists

We do Christmas because it's easier. Our families all celebrate Christmas, and trying to get them to understand that we'd rather celebrate Holiday (or the Winter Solstice, a frickin' fact that no one of any religion can deny) would be way too much work.

Zanahoria December 8th, 2010 09:42 PM

I see no reason to not celebrate Christmas if you're not a Christian... it's a PAGAN holiday after all!!! To me, Christmas is a time for family and good food, snuggling up next to fires on cold days, and letting the children believe that a little magic really does exist in the world. I remember being so taken with the idea of Santa and the "magic" of it all. Being a kid is magical, and I'm all about making my children's young years and memories as wonderful as my own. Screw what anyone else's religion says about that!

<3IsrealJustice<3 December 9th, 2010 06:49 AM

Hi! I'm just popping in randomly! I'm not an atheists. I never thought of how frustrating it would be try to make a tradition for a holiday that has basically become a christian holiday (of course just like Halloween and Easter it was highjacked by the Christians in an attemp to dominate and conquer and stomp out any thing different from what they think... don't get me started).

smsturner December 9th, 2010 07:50 AM

hi there and thanks for stopping by!

but, it's certainly not hard for me to have my christmas traditions...what i find hard is that people don't want me to have my traditions!! :)

Kalia20 December 9th, 2010 01:57 PM

I would've responded, if you feel that way, why did you celebrate the holiday with me then?

Zanahoria December 9th, 2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsturner (Post 22387455)
hi there and thanks for stopping by!

but, it's certainly not hard for me to have my christmas traditions...what i find hard is that people don't want me to have my traditions!! :)

I totally agree! My family has wonderful Christmas traditions and it really angers me to have people tell me that I can't celebrate "their" holiday however the hell I want. I don't tell them how to celebrate, it's not my business. And what I do during holidays is none of theirs.

Carmela December 9th, 2010 07:27 PM

I actually wrote this earlier today. I was thinking of posting it as a note on my facebook page. It is long. :-)

My husband and I have been posed with the question as to why we celebrate “christian” holidays like Christmas and Easter when we are non-believers. The simple answer to that question is the holiday is fun and a family tradition. We both enjoy the decorations, family time, and the fun of watching our son among other family and friends enjoying the holiday as well.

However we don't celebrate the christian aspects of the holiday, luckily for us there are very few in either of those holidays. There is no nativity set up in our house and we don't go to church. That is all we lose from Christmas. Original holiday is celebrating the Winter Solstice. This was the ancient celebration of the fact that the days start getting longer again and the ancient people knew that another year was going to happen, aka the world was not coming to an end. The “Christmas tree” and the idea of decorating with evergreens was an ancient practice long before the start of the christian religion, same goes for the yule log, lights on the tree, mistletoe, gift giving, and caroling. Even the gift giving Santa is believed to be a remaking of pagan gods such as Neptune. Although most of the story of the Santa that we talk about today, living in the north pole, reindeer, coming down the chimney, even the red suit, were all created in America and are by no means ancient traditions of any kind. Then of course there is the point that very few people, including most all christians that I know, actually believe Jesus was born on December 25. Of course the two biblical accounts of the Christ's birth don't mesh all that well anyway, but the best interpretation is that Jesus would have been born in the spring, not the winter, and the nativity scene including the wise men and the “no room at the inn” has been thrown together to paint a pretty picture, but not actually how events in the bible play out (again somewhat depending on which of the two stories you choose to read.)

If interested here are a few quick bible references explaining what I am talking about.
Matthew 1:20 says the angel appeared to Joseph. Luke 1:28 says the angel appeared before Mary.
Matthew 2:11 says Jesus’ birth took place in a house. Luke’s account says manger (feeding trough), because there was no room in the inn.
Matthew 2:13-16 says Mary and Joseph fled to Egypt to escape Herod’s wrath. Luke 2:39 says Mary and Joseph returned to Nazareth, with no mention of Herod, a death decree or Egypt.
The three kings? In the book of Matthew, they were magoi (astronomers), not kings. There’s no mention of “three,” and the entire account contradicts Luke’s account, which has Jesus being visited by local shepherds.

But I will admit is is confusing for me to say I celebrate Christmas since the church did actually take the time to rename that holiday to make it sound like more of a christian one. I could say I celebrate the solstice, but it isn't my habit and it is honestly harder to say. I will try if I get enough requests from christian friends and family though.

Then on to Easter. Easter, in reality, is the ancient celebration of the spring equinox. It is the rebirth of the world, the beginning of plants coming back, animals coming out of hibernation and new babies being born. This holiday is actually named after the Saxon/Teutonic Goddess Eastre, the Goddess of Spring and her patron animal was the hare. Although most ancient religions have a goddess of rebirth and fertility that have holidays celebrated at the spring equinox. The egg is also an ancient symbol of fertility and rebirth. So the “Easter bunny” and “Easter egg” are both pagan symbols/ traditions used by christianity in their celebration and have nothing at all to do with what the christian holiday is even about. Again when we celebrate Easter, we do not do it at church, the only actual christian part of the holiday.

So I ask Christians, Why do you celebrate Christmas in December with Santa, presents, and all the other pagan traditions involved? Why does the Easter bunny come to your house and why do you look for Easter eggs? However, if your answer to those first two questions is anything other than the same as mine in the first paragraph (I enjoy the holidays and they are a fun family tradition.) then I wonder if you are really being honest to yourself about your faith and beliefs.

Zanahoria December 10th, 2010 12:45 AM

Carmela that's awesome!!! /CLAP!

Jenna December 10th, 2010 05:28 AM

Carmen gets a high five for that one!

Cali*Luvin December 11th, 2010 11:10 AM

:ditto: great post Carmela

*Kiliki* December 22nd, 2010 04:08 PM

i dont care what any of the christians say its a total commercial holiday and has been for years and years and years....do you think that is what "jesus" would want hahaha....and the economy THRIVES on it...i swear if all the people who did not believe in god or the "real reason" for christmas just said screw it and stopped celebrating it....i bet the economy would TANK!!!

melkissa2004 December 22nd, 2010 06:32 PM

Amen!!!

MommaJones December 26th, 2010 08:15 AM

Great post!!!!! i may steal the bible verses and add it to the note I have on my Facebook page. I should copy and paste it for you all to read. If I have time later today, I will. Mine basically says the same things though.

There are some who are confused by mine because I started Christian, born and raised Catholic in a very strict Catholic family. Then I went into the new age Wicca crap and realized how bull most of that stuff is and got to the roots of Wicca and found Paganism. But even then I felt that it wasn't right, that it all was the same thing with just different names. And finally realizing that the entire time, I was searching for something that never existed. And came to find that I really feel at peace with how I feel now...and that is basically atheism in a whole. I hate religion, I hate the crap that goes with it. While I enjoy the teachings of Jesus and feel that every one should follow what he wrote, I don't believe we need mass churches that brainwash and teach hate while preaching love.

Oh and I wanted to add...
We celebrate every holiday in this house. Most of these we celebrate the commercial version. On Christmas we have Santa/tree/lights/presents, on Easter we do the eggs/hunting/candy version. Halloween its costumes and candy and decorations and so on. Though on special days like the Winter Solstice I do celebrate in a small way to teach my children about the world and how ancient people celebrated these holidays like we do now for the major holidays.

I am coming out more and more openly with my feelings on religion and it feels good to finally know that what I am doing is internally pleasing LOL I don't feel wrong, I don't feel bad, I just feel whole. And I hate when people try to take that from me by preaching that I am going to hell.

Carmela December 26th, 2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaJones (Post 22531025)
I am coming out more and more openly with my feelings on religion and it feels good to finally know that what I am doing is internally pleasing LOL I don't feel wrong, I don't feel bad, I just feel whole. And I hate when people try to take that from me by preaching that I am going to hell.

My feelings exactly