JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Atheist and Agnostic Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/)
-   -   A vent I guess? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f284-atheist-and-agnostic-parenting/288781-vent-i-guess.html)

Athey August 23rd, 2006 05:28 PM

The idea that if a child molester in prison who accepts jesus christ as his savior, can go to heaven, but anyone of ANY other religion or non-religion, no matter how good a person they are, is instantly going to go to hell is just so preposterous to me. I just can't fathom how people can really believe that.

I mean... by their own theology Jesus didn't even exist until 2000 years ago - sho what about the billions of people who existed before then?

Hell must be an awefully crowded place. :rolleyes:

mrobinson August 23rd, 2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Hell must be an awefully crowded place. :rolleyes:[/b]
Dh and I joke it would be fun there anyways. :devil:

Isabellamom August 23rd, 2006 06:03 PM

I guess I have just come to accept that anyone who can believe things like this along with a God who would massacre 'His' innocent children and infants (and all the other horrors of the OT) is just so out of touch with feeling for other people that there isn't much one can do. Beliefs like these come with the free gift of large blinders; I figure some churches must custom make them and package them with the Bible...

Kath M. August 23rd, 2006 08:19 PM

Yah, my thought is if there is a God then he should judge me on the way I live my life (as a good person) and if he is going to condemn me to hell I don't want to believe in him anyway!

Number_3 August 24th, 2006 11:18 AM

I think of it as soul-extortion. "Say you love me or go to hell"

picklesmama August 25th, 2006 12:14 AM

Quote:

The idea that if a child molester in prison who accepts jesus christ as his savior, can go to heaven, but anyone of ANY other religion or non-religion, no matter how good a person they are, is instantly going to go to hell is just so preposterous to me. I just can't fathom how people can really believe that.[/b]
I find that very disturbing myself.

I have actually had a (former) friend tell me that she prays daily for me and my children because we are going to hell - and she said this matter of factly, in front of both our kids! Even though this shouldn't bother me because I know it is not true, the fact that SHE believes it to be true, about my innocent little babies, disgusts me.

mrobinson August 25th, 2006 07:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The idea that if a child molester in prison who accepts jesus christ as his savior, can go to heaven, but anyone of ANY other religion or non-religion, no matter how good a person they are, is instantly going to go to hell is just so preposterous to me. I just can't fathom how people can really believe that.[/b]
I find that very disturbing myself.

I have actually had a (former) friend tell me that she prays daily for me and my children because we are going to hell - and she said this matter of factly, in front of both our kids! Even though this shouldn't bother me because I know it is not true, the fact that SHE believes it to be true, about my innocent little babies, disgusts me.
[/b]
:rolleyes: What makes me mad about that is all of those kids are set-up for failure.. When something like that is planted on your brain at a young age ~ it messes a person up!

(The worst part is, people are taught this by people somewhere. Obviously in the masses too if it was so bloody common.)

kadydid August 25th, 2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Hell must be an awefully crowded place.[/b]
Ya, thatís what my 12 year old said to me last year.

Quote:

I have actually had a (former) friend tell me that she prays daily for me and my children because we are going to hell - and she said this matter of factly, in front of both our kids! Even though this shouldn't bother me because I know it is not true, the fact that SHE believes it to be true, about my innocent little babies, disgusts me.[/b]
I totally understand, I have been there. UGH!