JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Attachment Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/)
-   -   Mommy and Me (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/2639717-mommy-and-me.html)

IronMamma April 1st, 2013 09:17 PM

Mommy and Me

Do you go to any Mommy and Me classes?

Tonight we went to the library, they have a kid section that Drake just LOVES to run around in. Anyways, I saw a flyer for Mommy and Me classes, and it said they read and sing songs. Honestly, that does not sound like anything Drake would like. He is not the sit down type. He is GO GO GO all the time, but I do want to try it.

What are you experiences with groups like this if you have been to any?

sareymac April 2nd, 2013 05:00 AM

Re: Mommy and Me

Same thing here, Gary would NEVER sit still that long. He is soooo busy all the time.

IronMamma April 3rd, 2013 02:16 PM

I am at the library right now and we are taking turns with the computer :giggle: But, there are always Home School families here and some of these kids are Drakes age, a little older and younger and they sit and listen to stories...Im baffeled! Drake will not sit and listen to a story! Why will these kids? :giggle:

sareymac April 5th, 2013 04:56 AM

I always think that when I see other kids from my PR "lounging on the couch watching a movie" and I am like w t f Gary would sit for like 3 minutes and then be bored and want to run around. And I even asked the ped. about it and she laughed, she was like Ummm thats completely normal he's a toddler they dont sit still haha. I thought maybe he was just like TOO hyper and she said absolutely not.

alittlelost April 5th, 2013 05:42 AM

We have done Mommy and Me classes for gymnastics. It's fun for the kids, but honestly stressful for me lol

ohnicole April 5th, 2013 04:38 PM

We do a couple Baby Lapsit story times at different libraries. Eleanor is generally running all over, but the one thing she does sit still for is books and songs, so it's usually not a problem. Plus the baby story times are really casual and the babies are usually free to wander. We have a lot of fun.

shen7 April 6th, 2013 08:51 AM

I have heard of overly structured Mommy & Me type classes but that is NOT developmentally appropriate!!! I have taken M to a lot of different Mommy & Me classes/events and she usually loves the novelty and excitement and it's never been overly quiet or anything. The music and movement classes are the best. An "activity" is like, "here's some scarves, let's listen to this song and dance with the scarves!" And the LOs either jerk the scarves around and run and spin, or stare at everyone else dancing, or mommies pick them up and dance with them. Heck when do I ever get a chance to rock out with some magical shimmery scarves?? I enjoy it too :lol: If there is something more sedate like sitting for a song or hand dance, and a LO is not into sitting and wants to run around or explore the space, that is always completely allowed. The idea of these classes in my mind, is that they watch you (mom) doing the activity, and after some repetition they ultimately try it for themselves, sometimes not until later at home, but many of the activities are really fun and get incorporated into their self directed play over time too. And they get some action and stimulation to wear them out for a nap, and mommy gets a social outing of sorts. M is really outgoing and loves to see other LOs and new things, and I have loved taking her to these types of things.

IronMamma April 6th, 2013 11:12 PM

Sarah, I know what you mean. I have a few friends with kids the same age as Drake and they say they will sit and watch a movie / sit in the stroller for walks, things like that. And I am like...ok...Drake will not do that! If he is not GOING he is sleeping. :giggle:

I take Drake to the library every single day. There is a nice play area that he really likes. There are kids running around, he does not play with them, he would rather play alone. He will smile, walk up to them and so on but would prefer himself. But, I am still pondering on taking him to these Tuesday Mommy and Me classes because I do not want to be that Mom that has a kid running all over the place, I picture all the kids just sitting there, but maybe I am wrong. I think I will just have to give it a shot.