JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Attachment Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/)
-   -   The Family Nutcase (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/2643891-family-nutcase.html)

alittlelost April 17th, 2013 07:52 AM

The Family Nutcase

Do you have anyone a little nutty in your family? Maybe a bit eccentric? How do your children respond to them?

I have this one uncle who is really strange. He can be super rude, but I don't think he means to be, and he's really messy. He brings a briefcase with him everywhere he goes and his house is FILTHY (like 2 inches of dust stacked on his TV and remote). His couch is a bunch of cushions stacked and covered in a sheet. He has two lumpy cats that don't like people and his house is covered in cat hair. You can't go in his bathroom because it's covered in some dusty yellow film that I think might be evaporated urine... In his closet he keeps a boy of toy eyeballs, and he has bowls of cat food and water everywhere. He never changes the cats litter box so the only time it gets changed is when he goes on vacation or a business trip and the cat sitter changes it. (I was said cat sitter once... totally gross). He also appears to have 3 of everything. Three computer monitors that are not hooked up to anything. three each of various star wars figurines on display. 3 of those "balancing birds" (THESE THINGS). My kids have never had the pleasure of meeting him, though.

Social Halfwit April 17th, 2013 11:54 AM

Re: The Family Nutcase

I think my mom is definitely the strange one of the family. She is very paranoid... she calls about once a week and tells me about how the police are watching her. In reality, the police chief lives down the street and drives by her house in the morning on the way to the station. (She's also in a town of about 1200 people... so it's not like the cops on patrol have too many streets to drive down.)

She is an obsessive shopper. She owns things that are still new in the box, and the last time I was there, she had two rooms full of stuff, new stuff, old stuff, just random junk. We watch Hoarders and I always tell Zach to brace himself, because if something happens to her and we have to go clean out her house, that is exactly what it will look like.

She also had stomach surgery a little over a year ago, where they essentially removed her entire stomach. So she likes to bring up subjects that aren't pleasant to talk about, like what foods make her sick, give her diarrhea, etc. even with people she doesn't know. And she's a master guilt-tripper. She never just says something positive, it is always accompanied by something negative.

The boys don't seem to mind her much yet. We only talk to her about once a week, and she's usually pretty good about keeping the negative stuff to herself while she's talking to the kids.

Before her, I guess it was my great-grandma Belle. She owned a store in a town of 50 people, and as a result of living through the Depression, she held onto EVERYTHING. She would wash paper plates and hang them out to dry, and everything in her store was usually at least 3 months expired. Plus her house was so full of pictures... she had 13 children and over 100 great-grandchildren (her son - my grandpa - had 10 children, and his siblings all had at least 4 kids)

breathing for two April 17th, 2013 01:52 PM

I haven't met the majority of my extended relatives, so I'd have to say my brother.

He has ADHD/Asperger's, which certainly explains some of it. I distanced him from my life when I found out he was stalking and sending threats to a few of my friends, in a creepy way.
In his defense, my parents never got him the help that he really needed (and I'm sure still needs)

ashj_1218 April 17th, 2013 02:33 PM

Compared to some of these folks...nope!

But I do have this one uncle who is intensely strange. He has lots of OCD tendencies but doesn't think he has a problem, so doesn't take meds for it. He wipes squares of dirt off his car by hand, so his whole car looks like a checkerboard pattern of clean and dirty places. He lines all of his jewelry, watches, sunglasses, body care items on fresh tissues ten times a day. (One time, when me and my bro were teenagers and he was staying with us, we tortured him by messing up all of his neatly aligned items and removing the tissue multiple times a day. It was so funny...but clearly mean given his issues). He practices backing out of his own driveway, many times a week. He never touches raw food, including things like raw carrots or fruit (he will eat them with a fork, but not touch them with his hands...but his hands aren't the clean, so I dunno what it's about). BUT...he is an engineer with NASA and I guess all that eccentricity is related to his intelligence.

My older boy only met him once and didnt really respond, since he was too young to realize the oddities of his behavior. He isn't a super-friendly guy, so I doubt the boys will have much real interaction with him. He also lives in New Mexico, so not exactly close either. We will see him again next year for my granddads 80th birthday and we will see if Liam notice his patterns. But it's not obvious stuff to a kid, so I don't think they will care. I am sure it will just be "another family member" to them.

NinjaCakes April 18th, 2013 04:42 PM

Heh heh, that is pretty much everyone. We're all a little odd. However now that so many have passed away, the oddest of us is my cousin Nathan. He is a non-functioning drug addict with some mental health issues. Unfortunately since his mom died almost everyone has pretty much left him to fend for himself, which is not helping matters, but there is only so much that can be done for those who don't want to change.

IronMamma April 18th, 2013 08:10 PM

I honestly do not. But, I do not interact with most of my family, because they are all across the country and I never see them.

sareymac April 19th, 2013 06:08 AM

I have a crazy aunt. Like batcrap crazy. She thinks that the animals talk to her when she's walking down the street. No, I am serious. We don't see her ever. Thankfully.