JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Attachment Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/)
-   -   How do you explain "broken"? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/2650463-how-do-you-explain-broken.html)

KMH May 14th, 2013 10:22 AM

How do you explain "broken"?

How do you explain what "broken" means to a toddler (she'll be 3 in July)?

In the past few weeks, Claire has broken a couple of items. I don't think she has meant to break anything, but I tell her not to play with something, she does and is curious about how everything works, and then it ends up broken. When I try and explain that it is broken and cannot be repaired, she says things like "Daddy can fix it," or "we'll get another one at the store."

How do I explain that not everything can be fixed or replaced? Is she just too young to get it?

mama_2_Callen May 14th, 2013 02:07 PM

Re: How do you explain "broken"?

My son turned 3 in march and I deal with that problem as well. He loves bob the builder so he thinks bob can fix everything. Lol. He knows and understands that something is broken but doesn't realize that it can't actually be fixed. It is very frustrating! I wish I had some advice for you but I am in the same place as you. Hugs!

KMH May 14th, 2013 02:28 PM

LOL, Claire loves Bob the Builder, too!

mama_2_Callen May 14th, 2013 05:09 PM

So cute! Callen runs around yelling can we build it? yes we can!! Can we fix it yes we can! or Can we cook it yes we can!! lol. And he now introduces himself as bob. Scrambler comes everywhere with us!

IronMamma May 14th, 2013 09:02 PM

I have no idea since I am not there yet. But I do try to explain things to there bodies or something they like. For example: I would take his truck and show him if the wheel came off it would be broken and it would not work, so maybe he would understand.

KMH May 15th, 2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama_2_Callen (Post 27364347)
So cute! Callen runs around yelling can we build it? yes we can!! Can we fix it yes we can! or Can we cook it yes we can!! lol. And he now introduces himself as bob. Scrambler comes everywhere with us!

Love it!

They were re-paving the road into our gated community a few weeks ago and there was a steam roller driving around. Claire nearly lost her mind, shrieking "It's Roley! It's Roley! Mama, Roley makin' it smooth!" I'm pretty sure she could have stayed there all day watching him :D

mama_2_Callen May 15th, 2013 10:17 AM

^^ that is soo cute! I'm pretty sure Callen would do the same!