JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Attachment Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/)
-   -   Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/2652825-breastfeeding.html)

ratladee May 23rd, 2013 07:51 AM

Breastfeeding

Do you breastfeed? Why or why not? What's your favorite part of it? Was it hard for you?

klockert May 23rd, 2013 08:35 AM

Re: Breastfeeding

I didn't breastfeed because I get a lot of infected cysts on my breasts.

CrunchyMommaTo2 May 23rd, 2013 09:51 AM

We are breastfeeding. I love everything about it. Being the only one that can provide my son nourishment. I love the bonding experience. He has just started now to look around or stare at me while eating and he rubs my breast or plays with my shirt. I expected it to be much harder but L latched immediately at birth and even with a lip tie has a great latch. I never had sore or cracked nips.

ratladee May 23rd, 2013 10:16 AM

Yup, both my babies had/have lip ties and they latched just fine. They both had upper lip ties. I love everything about it too! So much that I'm on track to become an IBCLC!

mama_2_Callen May 23rd, 2013 11:26 AM

My son wouldn't latch at all. I bf'd my dd until she weaned herself at 8 months. Honestly I hated it. It was constant and it hurt and I just felt like I didn't have any space. I know that's not really ap but I became a much better mom after my dd weaned. I didn't make much milk and I didn't feel a bond I honestly felt resentment. I didn't want to stop but I was really happy when she stopped. It was so much better for all of us. And she started growing more on formula.

sareymac May 23rd, 2013 11:48 AM

i didn't. Got discouraged in the hospital even tho they were absolutley horrendous to me. Then i never even got milk. I am okay with it. My child is happy and healthy and that is all that matters.

breathing for two May 23rd, 2013 11:53 AM

I breastfeed and I enjoy it. I never had too many problems with it.

I do have times where I feel touched out, but I usually just need to get away from my babies altogether for a little bit, rather than breastfeeding.

Fluga May 23rd, 2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sareymac (Post 27389396)
i didn't. Got discouraged in the hospital even tho they were absolutley horrendous to me. Then i never even got milk. I am okay with it. My child is happy and healthy and that is all that matters.

Did you lose a lot of blood during delivery by any chance?

As for me, my biggest problem with DD1 was that my boobs were either slow or not producing a lot plus she was a sleepy baby so she would be on them for hours at an end. I never really thought to supplement, I was too busy breastfeeding. I figured she'd take what she needed and she did.

With my second the biggest problem was probably tandem nursing in a hot spring/summer and constantly forgetting to drink enough. I would get into a foul mood which was relieved once I drank at least a liter of water.

Right now I suppose I enjoy how easy it makes my life. I am not a morning person and I usually vegetate on the sofa for an hour and DD2 will drop by probably up to 5 times in that time asking to nurse. I dont have to get up and make her breakfast and she seems happy to just nurse.

sareymac May 23rd, 2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluga (Post 27389634)
Did you lose a lot of blood during delivery by any chance?

I have no idea i had a c/s the week before my actual due date. . .

ratladee May 23rd, 2013 01:39 PM

Aww, that's horrible the hospital discouraged you! I hope this time you are able to if you choose to. It can be a wonderful experience. As for why you didn't produce milk there can be a million factors but it doesn't mean that you won't be able to this time! ((hugs))

NinjaCakes May 23rd, 2013 01:55 PM

I do want to. My potential, looming obstacle will be depression. We'll just have to take it one day at a time. I'll try to stay off my soap box, but I feel like society projects an image of breastfeeding as being "easy" for everyone. Not only is that not realistic (nothing is the same for everyone), it isn't fair. I think it sets up the moms who can't/don't want to to feel like failures, when in truth it isn't always the right thing for every child and mother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama_2_Callen (Post 27389301)
Honestly I hated it. It was constant and it hurt and I just felt like I didn't have any space. I know that's not really ap but I became a much better mom after my dd weaned. I didn't make much milk and I didn't feel a bond I honestly felt resentment. I didn't want to stop but I was really happy when she stopped. It was so much better for all of us. And she started growing more on formula.

There is nothing wrong with that at all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sareymac (Post 27389396)

That's right!

Eowyn May 23rd, 2013 02:12 PM

i did for my daughter very easily. My son was always difficult to breastfeed and
I now know it was because he is lactose intolerant.
I breastfed him until he was about 6 months old where at that point it had become such a battle to feed him that he would not nurse at all and I began to use formula from there out and he was instantly a new baby that I regretted not doing it sooner but at the time of the decision I just felt like a failure because I wanted badly to breastfeed both my kids but now I am glad that I have experience with both BF and FF.

ratladee May 23rd, 2013 02:46 PM

Well that's good he got it for thsat long but it sucks it made him feel bad! I love that quote "Breastfeeding isn't all or nothing" that's the only thing that made me feel better about using formula when my daughter turned 7 months old. We made it to 10 months bfing but I had to supplement because I was pregnant.

IronMamma May 23rd, 2013 03:21 PM

I did. Drake latched great and BF like a champ! My goal was to get to a year and then let him self wean. But 2 weeks in he started to lose weight, he was throwing up and every time he drank my milk his belly made this awful AWFUL noises and he would scream in pain. He was not able to digest my milk. :( I tried everything I could. Lactation consultants, books you name it. I stopped drinking milk thinking maybe it was dairy. I then put him on formula, same thing. Then soy and he was fine. He was lactose, and on top of that was not able to digest my milk. Well, please ladies don't say anything that would make it seem like I could have. I still get sad to this day that it didn't work out. I still can squeeze milk from my nipple and that first formula feeding I cried like a baby. And then every feeding after that for 2 weeks I cried. I started to hate my boobs thinking I was not good enough. I wish so baldy I could have. But you know what, he stopped crying the second we put him on soy, his belly stopped and he started to gain his weight back.

sareymac May 23rd, 2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratladee (Post 27389820)
Aww, that's horrible the hospital discouraged you! I hope this time you are able to if you choose to. It can be a wonderful experience. As for why you didn't produce milk there can be a million factors but it doesn't mean that you won't be able to this time! ((hugs))

Actually I kept trying and they were pushing me, like, Okay either you are or you arent, there is no TRYING. But I was, he wouldnt latch, and they wouldnt help me. I had NEVER done it before and they just didnt care. I was sooo upset I literally cursed at the nurse, cried, and told the main nurse I was done trying. Thinking about it now, I should have stood my ground (with a lot) this time, I will. I am okay with that all now though. Obviously not getting milk worked out in that case. lol. But people in my life made me feel bad about it. I dont now that Gary is the size of a 3/4 year old lol
Not to mention he slept thru the night so quickly! haha But thanks. We shall see what happens this time!

LessthanThree May 23rd, 2013 06:59 PM

I breastfed my son for a month before switching to formula for a variety of reasons (no support, poor information on my part, etc) and bfed my daughter for a year. It was hard both times and I was really glad to be done when I weaned Norah but it was overall an enjoyable experience.

Me having to formula feed my son really fueled my desire to try harder with my daughter since I knew it was just the circumstances at the time that stopped me. I'm a fan of choices; if you want to breastfeed, try it and try hard. If it doesn't work out, formula feed with the knowledge that you did your best and in the end, chose the best decision for you and your baby.

KatyG May 23rd, 2013 07:36 PM

The twins both latched on right away. I liked nursing but I hated pumping especially doing at school. I'm still breastfeeding but not as much they love real food now.

IronMamma May 24th, 2013 12:39 AM

Katy, you pumped at school?! You are really an amazing Mom I have to say! I do not know any woman that had a child while still in HS and BF let alone pumped. You are doing such an amazing job!

HappyHippy May 24th, 2013 09:36 AM

I breastfeed my twins and I breastfed ds2. I wanted to breastfed ds1 but had no professional support. My favorite part of breastfeeding is seeing them grow off of only mom's milk and also waking up to the girls cooing while nursing.

KatyG May 24th, 2013 01:08 PM

You're so sweet Jess! I pumped in the nurses office and it was so awkward I never got used to having my boobs out at school lol