JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Attachment Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/)
-   -   Cloth diapers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/2675380-cloth-diapers.html)

IronMamma August 29th, 2013 01:33 AM

Cloth diapers

What are your thoughts on this article?

Cloth Diapers Aren't Worth the Trouble So Don't Even Bother Trying Them | The Stir

sareymac August 29th, 2013 05:26 AM

Re: Cloth diapers

I still think its just opinion. I have no desire to cloth diaper. . . I know its better for the environment but my life is busy and based on convenience. . . I don't have time. I would just rather do disposables. But that is me.

CrunchyMommaTo2 August 29th, 2013 05:33 AM

It is by the stir.. I stopped reading their articles awhile ago as they tend to infuriate me

sareymac August 29th, 2013 09:03 AM

^ That too.

crunchywannabe August 29th, 2013 10:58 AM

I think it is unfortunate that she stuck with something for so long that clearly wasn't working for her family. That is something that I have been very intentional about since having Arthur, if it does not bring us to a place we want our family to be it doesn't happen.

We do use cloth and luckily it's been wonderful so far! I really do love it. It is unfortunate that this author's experience was underwhelming, but her points, at least in our experience aren't really valid.
-Our whole stash, which will hopefully last from birth to potty training for all our children, cost $300-$400 a HUGE savings from roughly $1500/kid
-We use the same detergent that we've used for the past year on our diapers, granted it's a natural soap, but I know plenty of families who swear by using Tide on their diapers
-I wash every 3-4 days, but have enough diapers to go easily twice that long... but come on... that's gross :P
-I'm doing laundry once or twice a week anyways, whats an extra load? Our water and hydro bills have not been noticeably affected.
-We CD overnight with no leaks. It took us 2 nights to figure out what works for us, and since when is night waking ONLY ever to do with diapers. There are plenty of non diaper reasons my baby wakes in the night
-maybe I'm in the minority with this one, but when we had Arthur in sposies over night, they would stink to high heaven! I would NEVER feel comfortable leaving a disposable diaper in a trash can in public, and most definitely not at someone's house.. So there is a good chance I'd be packing it up to bring home anyways... using cloth doesn't change that... It just happens to not smell bad.
-And then there IS that little piece about the environment. It's not the be all end all, but it does make me feel better knowing we aren't throwing away so much extra waste. (btw check the box on your disposables, it should say that you are to dispose of solid waste in the toilet before throwing in the trash.... not that anyone follows this rule)

In the end I don't think cloth is for everyone, HOWEVER it is in very poor taste for this woman , IMO, to say it's not for anyone!

sareymac August 29th, 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchywannabe (Post 27619495)
I think it is unfortunate that she stuck with something for so long that clearly wasn't working for her family. That is something that I have been very intentional about since having Arthur, if it does not bring us to a place we want our family to be it doesn't happen.

In the end I don't think cloth is for everyone, HOWEVER it is in very poor taste for this woman , IMO, to say it's not for anyone!

Both of these are exactly how I feel. We have tried different things here and there if it was clearly not working, we were NOT pushing it.
And just because WE aren't into it, I in NO WAY believe that no one should be. . .thats just ridiculous.

ashj_1218 August 29th, 2013 12:50 PM

I hate how black and white she made it sound. Just because it didn't work for her, doesn't mean it won't for me. In fact, we did exactly the opposite of her...did sposies for a year then switched to full-time cloth. I really think Crunchy (I know your name is Kaylen, I just don't know if that is the right spelling. Lol) nailed it. All of her points were ones I would have made myself.

In addition, this woman is discounting that there might be health benefits to cloth (both for sensitive kids and for the "average child").

And frankly, I read an article once that said the average child goes through 8,000 diapers in their babyhood. And when I thought that we wanted 4 kids...that meant 32,000 diapers in a landfill. And no disposable diaper has ever decomposed. They don't know how long it will take, since they have only been around since the 70s. I know my 32,000 is nothing in the face of all the other ones out there. But I does creep me out now many are sitting around in landfills. Just hanging out.

I really don't think cloth is for everyone, nor do i mind if folks dont want to do it, but her blanket statement for folks to not even try is ridiculous.

ratladee August 29th, 2013 09:35 PM

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...de81e48a61.jpg

My husband and I have a deal. I wash bottles. Caleb has 4 for daycare and Madison has 4 sippy cups. He washes diapers. We go through 40 diapers in 2 days. The 5-600 I've spent on cloth diapering is way cheaper than disposables, oh by the way, we use those at night cuz ain't nobody got time to find those annoying night time ammonia smelling bed wetting cloth butt solutions. But that's just us. I also fought tooth and nail to get daycare to use cloth. Apparently we were the first ones to get over that hurdle at the daycare. So yup

crunchywannabe August 29th, 2013 09:53 PM

The other piece of this that I find bothersome is the title... "so don't even bother trying"
As a first time mom I hear this all the time, I was told constantly while pregnant not to try this or that because it wouldn't work... you know what, some things didn't work.... but lots did, and I'm really glad I at least gave it all a good try!

We wouldn't tell our kids veggies taste bad, so don't even try them... most level headed people allow their children to explore the flavours of food and decide what they like and don't for themselves!
I don't know why, but that suddenly bothered me enough to come back and write about it :P

angelsailor288 September 1st, 2013 11:41 AM

I dont get why its so much work. *shrug* I work 40 hours a week and send Nicholas to day care with cloth and its really no big deal at all. I dont have to ever worry about rushing to the store to get sposies!! And we NEVER have leaks, ever.

NinjaCakes September 1st, 2013 09:09 PM

To each their own I say, but she obviously is not looking at it objectively. If we had a washer I would be 100% cloth.

shen7 September 1st, 2013 10:18 PM

I have a lot of negative judgements towards the writer of this article. But suffice to say, she wasn't doing it right. She should have either gotten help and solved the problem head on, or just cut her losses and quit and not looked back. I guess she turned defeat into victory by writing an annoying Stir article that got all of our clicks :lol:

If I worked full time, I would probably end up using a compostable diaper service (we have that locally to me now) and paying through the nose for it, but the time savings would be worth it if I was working full time. As a SAHM, diaper laundry is no big deal at all since I am around the house often enough to move things through. We have an HE FLer and the wash cycle for diapers takes like 3 hours, it would suck to deal with doing those loads on my nights and weekends off from a full time job.

I am not really willing to compromise on the massive waste disposal issue that Ashlee brought up, but a compostable service is an environmentally acceptable alternative to cloth, to me. It just costs like $100 a month!!! OUCH