JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Attachment Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/)
-   -   Co-Sleeping question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f97-attachment-parenting/2705631-co-sleeping-question.html)

Case2014 January 28th, 2014 12:02 PM

Co-Sleeping question

I am new to AP, but think it is the route I want to take with baby #2. I think I was somewhat AP with my first but not to the extent I'd like to be with this one. I co-slept with my first and thats about it. Anyways my question. My oldest son will be 7 next month and he lives with his dad(for school, didnt want to make him transfer schools). He sleeps in his own room just fine at his dads house, however when he is with me or my parents for weekends and vacations etc, he prefers to sleep with me or my parents as opposed to his own bed. Is it normal for a almost 7yr old to still want to sleep with mom? I think it may partially be because I am having a second baby now and maybe he feels like he wont get as much attention once the baby gets here? But Im not sure because he is super excited about being a big brother and talks about the baby constantly.

Also, any good advice for me when it comes to AP?

Thanks!

MapleGranola January 28th, 2014 12:06 PM

I think it is perfectly normal and fine for him to sleep in your bed when he's with you.

Sassalota January 28th, 2014 04:34 PM

Re: Co-Sleeping question

I think it is normal. Everyone is different. I am 31 and don't like to sleep by myself.

Case2014 January 28th, 2014 08:10 PM

ok thanks ladies! i think we ned to invest in a king size bed lol

MapleGranola January 29th, 2014 06:24 AM

Lol! We have a Queen and twin together. Even bigger!

Andi--NaturalNewBaby January 30th, 2014 03:49 PM

I think it's normal, and if you're both sleeping well then all is well! As far as advice for AP goes, there are some great books out there, including Attached at the Heart and The Attachment Parenting Book. If your 7 year old will be sleeping with you when the baby comes, I would definitely recommend getting a co-sleeper/separate sleeping surface for the baby to minimize risks. Good luck! :-)

Earthy.Mama February 5th, 2014 06:04 AM

My girls (7 and almost 5) sleep with us. We're going to move them into their own toddler beds soon, but still in the same room. It's totally normal!

I like Dr. Sears books/website on AP stuff.

MamaCassa May 6th, 2014 06:11 AM

It's totally normal! And if you're worried about it once the baby comes, you can get a co-sleeper or one of those in-bed divider things. My almost 9yo sleeps with me 2-3 days a week. My eldest stopped around 10 on her own :)

alittlelost June 2nd, 2014 04:31 PM

I slept in bed with my mom until I was in like 9 LOL Actually I got kicked out when she got married, but then I would sleep in her bed in the mornings after my dad left for work. I grew out of it eventually. That said, there's also nothing wrong with encouraging (without pushing) your child to sleep in his own bed. We did this by sleeping in THEIR bed with them until they fell asleep, then leaving once they were asleep. then when that got good, leaving when they were almost asleep, then half asleep, then fully awake, etc. It was a nice transition for them, and they knew if they woke up I would always come to them or they could come to me. My younger two (6 and 7) still comes to me rarely. My oldest (8) never does.