JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Thoughts on Circumcision? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2603813-thoughts-circumcision.html)

Allie_SMg December 9th, 2012 06:00 PM

Thoughts on Circumcision?

I know it's really early to think about this stuff, but DH and I were watching "What To Expect When You're Expecting" (the comedy based on the book) and Cameron Diaz's character was very anti-circumcision in the film, so it got me thinking. Richard says he definitely wants our baby circumcised if it's a boy, and honestly, it's not something I've seriously researched, so I always figured we would get it done. What are your lady's views on it? Pros/cons?

KeLLiC09 December 9th, 2012 06:08 PM

Re: Thoughts on Circumcision?

I had my son circumcised because of the increase of infections. A major thing for me was penis' are ugly to begin with but seeing an uncircumcised one is just yuck. It looks like a slug lol. But seriously, I'm glad I went with having him circumcised because of those risks of infections.

Momma2Chase December 9th, 2012 06:13 PM

My DS (3) is circumcised, because I left it entirely up to his father. I figured, if I don't have a penis how can I make the right decision? lol
His father, TMI, is not circumcised and that was the biggest reason he say to do it. He said he has hated not being cut (embarrassment in locker rooms with other boys and later in life with girls; infections; just small hassles but mostly embarrassment), and has seriously thought about having it done as an adult. I figured he would know best then.

I don't have a feeling towards it either way though- I think, like anything, there are pros and cons to it.

KASHWORTH December 9th, 2012 06:13 PM

I will just share with you my story from DS. Hopefully everyone researches it and decided whats best for them. I'm not going to say anyone else should or should not circumcise their baby, it's your choice. But when I had DS I kind of ignored these debates in my DDC and didn't research much, thinking oh it's routine and nothing will happen to us, it's such a small percentage that something happens, etc. We got his done at the pediatrician a few days after he was born. I thought everything was good, pedi said everything was good. This was the end of the day, so a bit later when I changed his diaper and noticed something was wrong because he was still bleeding red, everywhere was closed. Taking his pants and diaper off made it worse and he started bleeding BAD red blood everywhere. You can't even imagine how scary it was, we rushed to the nearest hospital, half an hour away, with the baby in my lap holding pressure on him. By the time we got there blood had soaked his diaper, night gown, was dripping down my elbow, I was SO freaked out. They said the doctor cut a large vein and they had to cauterize it. Everything ended up being okay but it was very traumatizing.

Dandelion December 9th, 2012 06:13 PM

This has become a highly debated issue with mamas. My son is circ'd but if DH wouldn't have preferred it, I wouldn't have had it done.
Lots of ppl think its "cleaner". This isn't really true at all with proper washing. (and you definitely shouldn't force it, if you know what I mean http://www.drmomma.org/2010/11/force...en-to.html?m=1)

Some want them to look like daddy. I think this was my DHs thinking.

I've read that a mans penis is so much more sensitive if uncirc'd making sex better for him later on.

My best friends son had it done and the Dr messed the surgery up. He screamed every time he would pee for a few weeks. Poor little guy has to have a second corrective surgery soon and he is 6 months now.

If I have another little boy I'm going to try very hard to talk dh into not having it done.
I don't look down on those who do it obviously but just think there is less risk involved if you don't get it done.

I also hope my post doesn't upset anyone. I think whatever a family decides is right for their child. Its a very personal decision. :heart:

BabyFever23 December 9th, 2012 06:18 PM

My oldest son was a micro-premie and because of that he wasnt circumsized at birth but ended up getting it done when he was 3 because his forebskin didnt go all the way back and it was uncomfortable for him when it was time to clean it and he complained a lot. My bestfriend got it done at 20yrs old because of pain during sex and infections. Im all for it. Its just more hygenic and easier to deal with.

Diamond2009 December 9th, 2012 06:19 PM

I'm so sorry that happened to your son Kelsey. Yes the odds are very small but it can happen. Very scary.

I had my son (14) circumsized when he was 1 day old in the hospital. everything was fine thankgod. If i have another boy not sure if i will be able to again thou...i will leave that up to his father who is not circumsized. If it was my choice i would.

JessKeller24 December 9th, 2012 06:23 PM

My SO and two boys are intact. It's not my penis to cut. Boys die from it. And I figured if he was left intact and hated it he could get circumcised. If he was circumcised and hated it there was no changing it. 80% of the world is intact, with no problems with infections.

Please remember if you do leave your son intact do not pull the foreskin back, its attached to the glans and isn't suppose to be able to be retracted so early. They don't typically become retractable until 5yrs through puberty.

D your research and watch a video of it being done, so you know exactly what it is.

jessicag December 9th, 2012 06:27 PM

(Having not read responses)

I think it is a very personal decision. As long as you adequetly research both sides and are confident in YOUR choice, then it doesn't matter. Just don't just listen to word of mouth. Read a lot of articles until you feel 100% with your choice. Honestly I hate the circ convos because so many people feel so strongly that it can quickly divide a DDC. Not sayings its happening or will happen her ebut its super touchy for lots of people.

Dandelion December 9th, 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2RickyRanaJavier (Post 26855731)
Please remember if you do leave your son intact do not pull the foreskin back, its attached to the glans and isn't suppose to be able to be retracted so early. They don't typically become retractable until 5yrs through puberty.

D your research and watch a video of it being done, so you know exactly what it is.

This! Most of the time complications arise because of forced retraction of the foreskin.

KASHWORTH December 9th, 2012 06:27 PM

:ditto:

Yes, and even though it is a small percentage of boys that get hurt or worse from being circumcised, that small percentage is SOMEONE'S baby.

that ditto was to Mom2RickyRanaJavier

Pbear31 December 9th, 2012 06:53 PM

My situation was a little different. My guy was born early, and they don't circ until right before discharge. I just felt like my body had failed and I had to have him early and he had already been poked and prodded way before he should have even been out of my belly. We were already leaning towards not, and then a doc told us that sometimes they regress with their eating for a few days because of the procedure, which meant he would have to stay for a few more days. That made the decision easy...I wanted my baby home!

My husband is circ'ed and when trying to decide he asked his mom why she decided to have him circ'ed and she didn't really have answers, so we decided to think a lot harder about it.

Also, I totally agree with the retracting thing...research shows that even some DOCTORS don't know any better and try to pull back the foreskin too early. Ugh.

Dandelion December 9th, 2012 06:59 PM

Some days I really regret having my son circ'd. Only because I think he was born perfect and having part of his body removed wasn't really something I found necessary. :-/ I really didn't do my research before hand and am so lucky that he's never had complications.
Its definitely something to research no matter which decision you make. :)

BOYSxTWO December 9th, 2012 07:06 PM

My sons (previous relaationship) R circs'd, but SO is not...if this is a boy, SO will make the call.

MammaWillow December 9th, 2012 07:25 PM

Please make your decision based on facts, not on what people on this board are saying.

The American Academy of Pediatrics NO LONGER reccomends ROUTINE circumcision, because the risks to do NOT outweight the POTENTIAL benifits.

If you are worried about him looking different then other people or kids, you are better to keep him intact. I'm not sure where your from, but in CA less than 25% of newborn boys are being circumsized because it is not considered medically neccasary. In fact, many insurances are no longer paying for it because it is considered "cosmetic surgery".

I have three boys, all intact. All retracted at normal times, never had a cleanliness issue. I liken the "trending out" of routine circumcision to the "trending out" of routinly removing tonsils. Back when my parents were kids, they routinely took out everyones tonsils, but as the years went on, they realized that the risks outweighed the benifits for MANY, MANY PEOPLE. So they started doing it ONLY for the people who needed it, and for them, they benifits outweighed the risks.

Hope that helps!!

Willow Sanders CC:smile:

Allie_SMg December 9th, 2012 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info, ladies. I was only looking for different points of views, of course I'll do my own research. :) It was just something that I had very little info on and wanted to know people's actual experiences as well as the statistics and science on it that I will find from articles. I'm not going to cut something off of my son based on someone saying "well, I did it", I just like hearing people's own experiences with it to get lots of views. Research is inevitable. I researched the military for like 2-3 years before joining, so no worries there. I'm a big researcher is all. Of course I wouldn't want to start any DDC division. :giggle: Thanks!

KnitterLaurel December 9th, 2012 07:30 PM

If we end up with a boy we will not circumcise for our own reasons due to the research we have done. Also, I do home birth, so it would require a trip into a doctor the day after I have the baby, and I am just way to lazy to leave my warm cozy bed. :P

I just have to say that I am glad to see that even though opinions differ, everyone on this board seems to be respectful. I have seen way to many other boards go down in flames over sillier stuff than this.

Dandelion December 9th, 2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allie_SMg (Post 26855869)
Thanks for the info, ladies. I was only looking for different points of views, of course I'll do my own research. :) It was just something that I had very little info on and wanted to know people's actual experiences as well as the statistics and science on it that I will find from articles. Of course I wouldn't want to start any DDC division. :giggle: Thanks!

I hope our DDC is able to have discussions like this and remain civil/respectful of others views no matter how strong their own opinions may be. :) Best of luck with your decision.

Allie_SMg December 9th, 2012 07:57 PM

I didn't even think of the home birth aspect of it. That makes a lot of sense. I originally wanted to do a homebirth, but Tricare Prime will not cover midwives, only Tricare Standard, which can be expensive and hard to find a provider in the area. :(

Thanks again, ladies. I've had a lot of info to think over. I'll definitely do some research, though hubby seems to want it done for hygienic reasons. We'll see what happens after some searching around, because I think neither of us really know much about it. :)

Beachbabies December 9th, 2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MammaWillow (Post 26855867)
Please make your decision based on facts, not on what people on this board are saying.

The American Academy of Pediatrics NO LONGER reccomends ROUTINE circumcision, because the risks to do NOT outweight the POTENTIAL benifits.

If you are worried about him looking different then other people or kids, you are better to keep him intact. I'm not sure where your from, but in CA less than 25% of newborn boys are being circumsized because it is not considered medically neccasary. In fact, many insurances are no longer paying for it because it is considered "cosmetic surgery".

I have three boys, all intact. All retracted at normal times, never had a cleanliness issue. I liken the "trending out" of routine circumcision to the "trending out" of routinly removing tonsils. Back when my parents were kids, they routinely took out everyones tonsils, but as the years went on, they realized that the risks outweighed the benifits for MANY, MANY PEOPLE. So they started doing it ONLY for the people who needed it, and for them, they benifits outweighed the risks.

Hope that helps!!

Willow Sanders CC:smile:

Thanks for popping in. Do you have links to this information we can read? I'm especially interested in your data about California. Thanks :)