JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   dying hair (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2604720-dying-hair.html)

Diamond2009 December 12th, 2012 09:08 AM

dying hair

Do you while pregnant or do you plan to?

I havent really needed to with my other pregnancies however now that i'm older i'm getting some greys and my hair is black now so they show so much easier plus now that i'm pregnant i find my hair growing faster which shows the greys faster. I want to know if i could dye my hair and if so which semester would be the best time.

Anchored December 12th, 2012 09:44 AM

Re: dying hair

I haven't but I need a touchup so I will be. :)

This is on my Ob's website: Can_I_Do

Kelllilee December 12th, 2012 09:51 AM

I don't... but I want to. There's a lot of controversy over whether or not it's safe, so for me, it's not worth the risk.

Mrshall84 December 12th, 2012 09:59 AM

I'm a license cosmetologist and in based on what I got taught in school. Its mostly personal preference and what your dr thinks. If you are in a well ventilated area then you should be fine after the 1st trimester. The 2 most common reasons its suggested to not dye your hair is A) because of the pregnancy hormones now in your body your skin may be more sensitive. You could have an allergic reaction to something that you normally would have been fine using. B) Because most women have a change in body temperature your color may not come out the color you want.

I have known many hairstylists who working doing hair while pregnant, breathing in the fumes coming in contact with the chemicals and even getting their hair done and their babies were perfectly healthy.

I think it is really a personal opinion and if you are worried I would just talk to your dr or look into natural dyes like henna or something "vegan" friendly that does not contain the chemicals typical color does.

KnitterLaurel December 12th, 2012 10:13 AM

I wouldn't, but I can tend to the paranoid and avoid things are fine in moderation, like caffeine. I have some grays too and just embrace them. lol But then again I think my mom's pure white hair is awesome and probably won't ever dye my grays away. lol I'm not normal....I know....

kjm December 12th, 2012 10:44 AM

I would wait until after the first trimester and then it should be fine. Hair dyes are a lot different these days than they used to be and they aren't very dangerous.

KeLLiC09 December 12th, 2012 10:46 AM

I was wondering this as well. I've been wanting to do mine. I usually do the 28 wash color but have been wanting to do a permanent color. I'll wait and ask my doctor.

Irishgirl99 December 12th, 2012 10:46 AM

I've always gotten my hair high-lighted during my pregnancies with no problems at all

Dandelion December 12th, 2012 10:51 AM

I never have but I think I will end up doing so. I had my hair dyed dark brown a few months ago and is growing out obviously. My light brown hair roots almost look gray :( I don't have gray hair so I don't want to look like I do.

Diamond2009 December 13th, 2012 06:51 AM

Yeh i know its a personal decision...i'm going to ask my OB and see what she says.

Beachbabies December 13th, 2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrshall84 (Post 26865493)
I'm a license cosmetologist and in based on what I got taught in school. Its mostly personal preference and what your dr thinks. If you are in a well ventilated area then you should be fine after the 1st trimester. The 2 most common reasons its suggested to not dye your hair is A) because of the pregnancy hormones now in your body your skin may be more sensitive. You could have an allergic reaction to something that you normally would have been fine using. B) Because most women have a change in body temperature your color may not come out the color you want.

I have known many hairstylists who working doing hair while pregnant, breathing in the fumes coming in contact with the chemicals and even getting their hair done and their babies were perfectly healthy.

I think it is really a personal opinion and if you are worried I would just talk to your dr or look into natural dyes like henna or something "vegan" friendly that does not contain the chemicals typical color does.

This is what my hairstylist has said too :) I had my hair done after the 1st trimester last time and will probably do that this pregnancy too. She uses safe organic dye. My ob also says its fine.

BabyFever23 December 14th, 2012 02:27 PM

Im processing some hair color as we speak. Never had an issue but this is just me.

EVY&EGYsMommy December 14th, 2012 02:34 PM

Yes i usually get it done once in the second tri and once in the last try. I just get highlights. I have with my last two pregnancies.

BeachMum December 14th, 2012 02:51 PM

I will eventually, I need some high or low lights BAD!