JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Which Old Wives Tales hold Truth, Which Don't (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2605808-old-wives-tales-hold-truth-dont.html)

alittlelost December 15th, 2012 01:41 PM

Which Old Wives Tales hold Truth, Which Don't

This article is really interesting (skip the intro about the Beckhams if you want).

| The Sun |Woman|Health|Health

Summary:

Holds Truth:
Daddy Gaining weight with the mom means girl
Acne Means Girl
Morning Sickness
Cold Feet
Mother's Instinct (right 71% of the time!)

Doesn't Hold Water:
Cravings
How you "Carry"
Round and Rosy Face means girl
Heartbeat (though this is true for babies AFTER they are born)
Breasts

Unsupported:
Chinese Gender Calculator

You have to read the article to get the full details. This does not mean "If you have M/S you will DEFINITELY have a girl" it just means they did studies and noticed that certain symptoms are noticeable more common with certain genders.

Anchored December 15th, 2012 04:31 PM

Re: Which Old Wives Tales hold Truth, Which Don't

Very interesting... It'll be nice to see if anyone uses them this go round and see if it's accurate for anyone

MyFantasticFour December 15th, 2012 06:15 PM

None of those have worked for me lol I've been wrong about the gender 2/3 times. My feet are always cold. I had barely any morning sickness with my first, morning sickness from 5-25 weeks with my second, and none with my third. Acne with my first only. The heartrate has always been 150+ for my girls though. I have all girls. I even did that peeing on baking soda thing last time. I officially give up trying to guess gender early! I also tried that placental location thing but that was wrong too!

Dandelion December 15th, 2012 08:03 PM

Well I don't believe most of it. My Bff had the world's worst morning sickness I've ever seen & she had a boy.

I trust mother's intuition though, at least my own. That same Bff that had a boy, everyone including her thought girl... Except me. And I was right lol I was also right both times with my babies and on guessing the twin genders of another friend (boy & girl).

Maybe I'm a womb psychic hahaha

MyFantasticFour December 15th, 2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 26877813)
Well I don't believe most of it. My Bff had the world's worst morning sickness I've ever seen & she had a boy.

I trust mother's intuition though, at least my own. That same Bff that had a boy, everyone including her thought girl... Except me. And I was right lol I was also right both times with my babies and on guessing the twin genders of another friend (boy & girl).

Maybe I'm a womb psychic hahaha

Then what am I having?! lol

BeachMum December 15th, 2012 08:38 PM

They are just a fun, I was always told with #1 that it was a boy by the way I was carrying, she was a girl. I craved sweets with my boys and steak with my daughter. I had the worst morning sickness with her and was sent to the hospital several times a week to get ivs and hospitalized once for vomitting blood, in there for 2 days. UGGH.

Dandelion December 15th, 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanresu (Post 26877826)

Then what am I having?! lol

Haha I think it only works on people I know in real life but I'm thinking boy. Lol lol

alittlelost December 15th, 2012 09:44 PM

I think the point isn't that some of these wives tales are true. (Ie, morning sickness means you are having a girl) but rather that STATISTICALLY, those who have girls are more likely to have morning sickness. Here, in case ppl didn't read the article to see the full research behind this, I'll copy over some quotes.

MORNING

SICKNESS
MYTH: If you are sick throughout the pregnancy, it will be a girl. But if you have little or no morning sickness you will have a boy.
REALITY: Mothers ARE more likely to have serious morning sickness if they are expecting a girl. A study of more than a million pregnancies in Sweden from 1987 to 1995 showed it was far more likely in women carrying a female child. Dr Michael Swiet, from the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in London, said: “There could be all sorts of explanations. Morning sickness is something to do with hormones — girl babies may produce different hormones and that could be part of the problem.”

So, in short, if you have a girl, you're more likely to have M/S. But you can still have it with a boy. In other words, I just think this means STATISTICALLY it is more rare to not have m/s with a girl than it is to not have m/s with a boy.

DADDY’S

WEIGHT
MYTH: If the baby’s father piles on the pounds during pregnancy then you are having a girl. But if he doesn’t put on a pound, it’s a boy.
REALITY: Experts in Denmark believe the dad’s weight MAY give you some tell-tale signs. In a study of 100 dads-to-be, nearly every one who put on weight later had a baby girl. But only five of the dads who had a boy were heavier on the scales.

See, basically it's just statistics. They aren't saying "if this happens, you will have this gender" but rather that statistically, "when you have this gender, this is more common than it is with the other gender"

Sorry for being a pedantic nerd :P

MyFantasticFour December 15th, 2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 26877933)
Haha I think it only works on people I know in real life but I'm thinking boy. Lol lol

:D that would be pretty cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlelost (Post 26877973)
I think the point isn't that some of these wives tales are true. (Ie, morning sickness means you are having a girl) but rather that STATISTICALLY, those who have girls are more likely to have morning sickness. Here, in case ppl didn't read the article to see the full research behind this, I'll copy over some quotes.

MORNING

SICKNESS
MYTH: If you are sick throughout the pregnancy, it will be a girl. But if you have little or no morning sickness you will have a boy.
REALITY: Mothers ARE more likely to have serious morning sickness if they are expecting a girl. A study of more than a million pregnancies in Sweden from 1987 to 1995 showed it was far more likely in women carrying a female child. Dr Michael Swiet, from the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in London, said: “There could be all sorts of explanations. Morning sickness is something to do with hormones — girl babies may produce different hormones and that could be part of the problem.”

So, in short, if you have a girl, you're more likely to have M/S. But you can still have it with a boy. In other words, I just think this means STATISTICALLY it is more rare to not have m/s with a girl than it is to not have m/s with a boy.

DADDY’S

WEIGHT
MYTH: If the baby’s father piles on the pounds during pregnancy then you are having a girl. But if he doesn’t put on a pound, it’s a boy.
REALITY: Experts in Denmark believe the dad’s weight MAY give you some tell-tale signs. In a study of 100 dads-to-be, nearly every one who put on weight later had a baby girl. But only five of the dads who had a boy were heavier on the scales.

See, basically it's just statistics. They aren't saying "if this happens, you will have this gender" but rather that statistically, "when you have this gender, this is more common than it is with the other gender"

Sorry for being a pedantic nerd :P

Did they attempt to give any explanation to the dad's weight thing? That seems odd since dad wouldn't know the gender or anything. Or do you mean that they it just so happened that more of the girl dads coincidentally put on weight? I have not taken statistics yet so sorry if I'm clueless lol

alittlelost December 15th, 2012 10:14 PM

Basically, it just means that in that study, EVERY dad having a girl put on weight, but ONLY 5 dads having boys did. They don't know why. My guess might be that women for some reason (which would also need to be explained) select fattier/higher calories foods while pregnant, and their husbands are eating with them? Or perhaps they aren't feeling as well or are more tired than boy pregnancies, so the whole family is staying home more and not as active? I really don't know, but it's fascinating data and does make you wonder what causes these things.

Dirtroads December 15th, 2012 10:15 PM

Alright! I guess I can be happy that I am suffering from the worst acne ever!

Dandelion December 16th, 2012 05:21 AM

Dh gained weight with my last pregnancy. I think a lot of men do in general. Lol

alittlelost December 16th, 2012 05:46 AM

Oh, for sure. The statistics on it are just interesting! It could be that men who work out a lot have higher testosterone, which sways boy, and the men who don't work out a lot and thus gaining weight HAHA