JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Thoughts on getting babies vaccinated? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2613658-thoughts-getting-babies-vaccinated.html)

mrskfet January 11th, 2013 05:16 AM

Thoughts on getting babies vaccinated?

Reading Ray's thread about the Flu shot got me interested in knowing your opinions on getting babies vaccinated. I'm glad we are all a respectful group because I know this could potentially cause some issues in other places.

My opinion: I honestly have no idea what to do. As I said in Ray's thread, I'm a huge skeptic of vaccines. I'm not sure if I want my kids to vaccinated, but I think they may have to be (when I was in sixth grade, if I wasnt vaccinated for something they were going to suspend me until I was). Also, I dont feel like I'll have any support from my family or in-laws if I choose not to vaccinate. On New Years Eve a friend of my SIL's asked my view on attachment parenting so I told her and she said something along the lines of " Good. Dont read this book by blah blah because shes all for it and not vaccinating her kids. She's crazy." Also, my MIL is a strong advocate for the Flu shot. She still tells my DH to get it and he's soon to be 22. Then again, she still tells him when to get his hair :lol: Anyways, I would love to hear everybodys opinion on the matter and share whatever knowledge you may have about vaccines for infants :)

Anchored January 11th, 2013 05:21 AM

Re: Thoughts on getting babies vaccinated?

We vaccinate, on time. :) I feel strongly about vaccinating because of things I've seen while working in pediatrics. Before my son was born, I harassed the pediatricians I worked with about the pros and cons and genuinely feel it is the best for my family. :)

But- to each his own. I think some people have family history that makes vaccinating scary to them, and then all kinds of other reasons :) I respect everyone's opinion.

PhD_Bound_Mommy January 11th, 2013 05:22 AM

I'm kinda scared to post on this topic, lol. This is just my opinion and my thoughts, but I believe in fully vaxxing my kids. My kids have never missed a vaccine, they are healthy, and we haven't had issues with them.

On another note, I have friends who do vax as well and their kids are always sick. However, I think more comes from environment vs whether or not you vaccinate. (My friends completely bleach their homes 4-6 times a week where we bleach the floors and counters weekly.)

But we do fully vax not just for our children but also because both of our mom's, mine who we care for and DH's who visits us, have very weak immune systems. If my mother were to catch the flu it would kill her. So that is our reason's for things.

And as I said, just because what we do works for our family, doesn't mean it will be what works for another family.

mrskfet January 11th, 2013 05:34 AM

Do either of you know what age the vaccines are given to the babies? Is it right after their born, at the two week checkup, when they're a few months old, or maybe even older?

alittlelost January 11th, 2013 05:34 AM

I am completely fine with other people choosing to get their child vaccinated. I'm also completely fine with people judging me/calling my irresponsible/etc when they find out we no longer vaccinate.

We put a lot of thought and time into continuing to vaccinate our children after our son had a vaccine reaction (followed by the onset of his autism). I am not saying the vaccine caused his autism. All I know is that he, like many children, had a reaction to the vaccine, and then the autism started.

Whether the vaccine caused the autism or his reaction caused it, it does not change that he had a bad reaction to a vaccine that terrified me. Now, even after he had the reaction, I still believed in vaccines. I hadn't really researched them before then. I listened to doctors that I trusted. I trusted the CDC to provide accurate information (why did I trust an organization who still says BMI is an accurate way to determine if someone is definitely overweight? no idea...).

But, because my son had a reaction, I decided I needed to learn more. My aim had been to come up with a selective and delayed vaccination scheduled. In the end, the more I researched, the more I believed vaccinations were not the right choice for my family.

I won't list all my reasons or all my findings, because honestly, I don't want to open up room to debate with anyone over it. It's up to each parent to research on their own. There's a saying that goes "Educate before you vaccinate" and I wish I had truly done so. You can't take a vaccine back--one you've injected it, that's it. It's done and whatever happens after that cannot be reversed. Conversely, if new unbiased data and research eventually shows vaccines are safe and effective, then I will reconsider my decision.

My decision not to vaccinate was based on looking at unslanted DATA and thinking about what it meant for me and my family. I used that data to determine both the benefits and risks of vaccination or not vaccinating. Them , in the end, I went with the option that I felt *for my family* had the least risks/risks I could live with. Here's the thing, though--if my family were different, I might have that same data and same risk comparison, but have made a different choice. Even when everyone has the same information, they might make a different choice, and their choice may still be the best choice for their family. For some, vaccines are fantastic. For others, they are linked to bad reactions and those bad reactions seem to have happened to multiple people in their family.

There are some people who are scared not to vaccinate, some who are scared TO vaccinate, and some who are just making an educated decision based on unbiased fact and their own personal family history. I love for people to be able to make their decision on the latter and not based on fear. And many people do--even if those decisions are not the same. Kudos to parents who make the right choice for their family and kudos to people who can COMPLETELY respect that someone else can make a difference decision and still be making the RIGHT decision for their OWN family. The right decision is not the same for each family :)

For the most part, I am lucky in that everyone is supportive. My husband did his own research and came to the same conclusions. My family supports our decision not to vaccinate (even though my uncle on my dad's side thinks we're nuts!) I have other friends IRL who also NEVER vaccinated (who I admit I thought were "idiots" at the time I was still vaccinating...shame on me, karma's a beach, all that jazz).

In the end, my decision was that *for my family specifically* the risks associated with vaccinations far outweighed the "benefits". We won't be vaccinating this child and we haven't vaccinated our last child. We stopped vaccinating our old two around 15 months old and 2 years. This has been the best thing for us :)

I hope everyone here has the opportunity to educate before they vaccinate and I hope everyone here has the ABILITY/OPTION to make the decision they feel is best for their child/children, whatever that decisions may be.

Okay. I'm going to post a video now. PLEASE if you get freaked out easily, skip watching this video. It's a documentary of one child who has had a reaction to vaccines. This video is NOT a reason for you not to vaccinate. But, IMO, it's a reason to learn more about vaccines from unbiased sources. I'm also posting it to support the fact that vaccines are NOT right for everyone. It's not about fear--it's about being smart and make the healthiest option *for your children specifically*. In other words, if your family has a history of vaccine reactions, even mild, you need to consider if perhaps there is something hereditary that puts your children at higher risk for vaccine reactions and factor that into your decision (something that does NOT factor into everyone's decision, and doesn't need to). But this video is also to show that there are some kids that it truly IS best not to vaccinate. So even if you vaccinate your own children, watching this may help you understand that not everyone has a good response to vaccines and that is why it IS best for some people to skip vaccinations even though it's best for OTHER people to get them.

In other words, I hope this video will help people understand that even though most children never have a bad reaction to vaccines, some children DO, and so that the ABSOLUTE RIGHT decision for some families is to skip vaccines if their child is at a higher risk to have a reaction.

Again, don't watch this if you get upset easily.

http://www.iansvoice.org/

Ray88 January 11th, 2013 05:38 AM

Im glad you posted this topic because after some points brought up in my post...
I wanted to know can you choose which vaccines you want for your child and will school be a problem if you don't fully vax against everything they want you to.

I personally agree with some vaccines and others I don't. My mom fully vaccinated me and my siblings. And we were relatively healthy children. So I'm not afraid for my childs health regarding vaccines just wondering about the necessity of all these shots. Like whopping cough??????

Irishgirl99 January 11th, 2013 05:41 AM

They usually start getting shots at their 4 month check up, then 6 months, don't think there was any at 9 months, a yr, 15 months and 2. They didn't get any at 3 but my son got some boosters at 4.

We get all the required vaccinations

In NY they can't start school without getting all their shots. They're are some exemptions granted though. I think for religious reasons and some others

alittlelost January 11th, 2013 05:47 AM

Ray88, here is what you do:

Get the vaccines for your child that you want to get. After that, have a "change in religious beliefs" and decide to stop vaccinating your child for that reason. Get an exemption form. Your child doesn't have to be up to date. You just say you want to "delay" certain vaccines, but then after you get the other ones, get the exemption form. My son had all his vaccines up to the age of 2 years old before stopped vaccinating. He went to public school for years with no problem.

There are some vaccines they give babies AT BIRTH (see the video I posted above if you can). That's when vaccines start, or at least used to when I had my other 3 kids--at birth.

As for whooping cough, well, obviously we chose to skip that one because we ultimately decided to skip all vaccines. However, Kellilee (i think it was?) works for the health department (I think she said lol) and that the vaccine REP said that shot is only 60-80% effective. Well, 60% isn't much better than 50/50 :P And the reality is that you never know if you'll be in that 60-80% or not. My experience was that me, my husband, and two of my kids were NOT. The DTAP vaccine did not work for any of us. We ALL caught whooping cough/pertussis when my youngest was a couple weeks old. We were sick for MONTHS. It was MISERABLE. But you know who didn't get sick, even though he was exposed to 4 people with whooping cough in a small apartment for 3 months straight? My youngest, who hadn't even been old enough for the vaccine at the time (and wasn't going to get it anyway). But, that's my family. My family *personally* does better without vaccines, and our combined medical history has shown this, but other family's may have the complete opposite results (like that other 60-80% of the population).

I think the best argument for vaccines is the whole "public health" concern, herd-argument. It's based on the idea that even though a vaccine may not work for you, if it's 80% effective and we all get vaccinated for it, there will be less outbreaks. In other words, some people think that if you vaccinate your kid, and it works for your kid, then that will protect their vaccinated child in the event the vaccine hadn't worked for their child. In the end, though, I'm not going to risk my child's life so MAYBE some other child who the vaccine didn't work for won't get sick. The herd mentality is that "I want everyone to vaccinate so some people can be safe" but it fails to address that "some people aren't vaccinate because they want some people to be safe--their own children". Some think that is selfish. I think it's being a parent. We should not be obligated to sacrifice our children to protect someone else's children. It's up to each parent to protect and care for their OWN children, IMO. That is my JOB as their parent. Besides, we're not sheep. ;) BUT I do understand the herd argument, even if I don't agree with it.

Ray88 January 11th, 2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlelost (Post 26960221)
Ray88, here is what you do:

Get the vaccines for your child that you want to get. After that, have a "change in religious beliefs" and decide to stop vaccinating your child for that reason. Get an exemption form. Your child doesn't have to be up to date. You just say you want to "delay" certain vaccines, but then after you get the other ones, get the exemption form. My son had all his vaccines up to the age of 2 years old before stopped vaccinating. He went to public school for years with no problem.

Okay, do you have to specify what "religious beliefs" or it doesn't go that far? My DH and I are seriously researching these vaccines now and I'm just not sure whether or not we will choose to vaccinate at all. But I am scared of what problems might arise with school.

JessKeller24 January 11th, 2013 05:59 AM

I did but dont know. My first has all his including his kindergarten ones. My 2nd only had the baby ones not her kindergarten ones, same with my third. After I looked into it, I wasn't comfortable with the ingredients, I mean if I injected you with the ingredients in vaccines, I'd go to jail for assault, maybe even attempted murder. Another big factor in my choice was SIDS, it may just be a coincidence but SIDS is most common up until 6 months with the biggest clusters at 2 and 4 months (when they get shots). And I believe its china or Japan now delays all vaccines until 2 yrs old and their SIDS rate is almost non existent. I also then realized when my kids got their shots they'd get a high fever and would be very lethargic for a day or two, and then it hit me, I was infecting my little tiny babies. I actually haven't brought it up with the doctor yet, when my daughter went for her kindergarten physical, the nurse came in with the shots and I said 'she's not getting those today' and her eyes popped out of her head and I wasn't ready for a debate so I just said 'she's been sick and I don't think its a good time to do them'. My youngest has his kindergarten physical this summer.

I'd like to add to the question, those that get their kids all their shots, do you get all your boosters?

Jblady12 January 11th, 2013 06:02 AM

I've always done all the vaccines for all my children, & I probably will always do so. But like the ladies stated above, you have to do what YOU think is right for your family.

alittlelost January 11th, 2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray88 (Post 26960244)
Okay, do you have to specify what "religious beliefs" or it doesn't go that far? My DH and I are seriously researching these vaccines now and I'm just not sure whether or not we will choose to vaccinate at all. But I am scared of what problems might arise with school.

They won't ask. but if it comes up, pretty much any religion that uses the Bible ;) Here are scriptures that can be taken as against vaccines:

BIBLICAL SUPPORT FOR NOT VACCINATING OUR CHILDREN

also, most religions do not believe in abortion, and some vaccines are made using aborted fetal tissue.

JessKeller24 January 11th, 2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray88 (Post 26960244)

Alabama State Vaccine Requirements - National Vaccine Information Center

I'm in pa and we have medical or religious. I don't attend church and am not religious, but I filled out a religious exempt letter. All it said was for religious reasons I will not be vaccinating. I was just looking up Indians exempt laws yesterday since w e may move there, and as I was reading, you have to be careful what you sign from the health department/school/Internet, because some of them basically say "yes I know I'm neglecting my child" and you sign that and it gives them the right to take your kid for 48 hrs and investigate you for abuse and neglect! It's best to write up your own. Some states they need to be approved, others they don't. Mine I printed, signed, and handed to the school nurse.

I should add in pa religious is also moral reasoning.

Jblady12 January 11th, 2013 06:05 AM

X

alittlelost January 11th, 2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2RickyRanaJavier (Post 26960256)
I'd like to add to the question, those that get their kids all their shots, do you get all your boosters?

Okay, I don't vaccinate anymore, but when I *did* I never got my boosters. Honestly, it wasn't until I started researching vaccines and following the debates and seeing this question that I even knew I was SUPPOSED to get my boosters. and my mom and aunt, who vaccinated all their kids completely, never got their boosters either. In fact, I don't know a SINGLE adult in real life who gets their boosters (though I've seen many people online in these discussions say they get them, and I have no reason to believe otherwise). But, just speaking from experience, I don't think most people get them.

Here are the statistics (which seem low to me, since online everyone is always saying they get their adult vaccines)...

Pneumococcal (high risk, ever vaccinated age 19-64) 18.5%
Tetanus (vaccinated within last 10 years age 19-49) 64.0%
Hepatitis A (ever received two or more doses age 19-49 10.7%
Hepatitis B (high risk, ever received three or more doses age 19-49) 42.0%
Herpes zoster (ever vaccinated) 60 and older: 14.4%
HPV (females, ever received one or more doses age 19-26) 20.7%
HPV (males, ever received one or more doses age 19-26) 0.6%

I do know tons of people in real life who have gotten tetanus, but the stats seem to be more accurate to me. Maybe people who use the internet are more likely to get their adult vaccines, though, and that could explain why so many adults who vaccinate their children say online that they also get their boosters. I was not one of them, though, when I was vaccinating my kids, and neither has anyone I know in real life.

mrskfet January 11th, 2013 06:21 AM

Even without knowing that much about vaccines, I just dont feel safe. I know that may sound weird but my gut instinct is usually pretty spot on. Like when the doctor put me on Zofran for nausea, I didnt take it because I felt like I could be allergic to it (I say this about alot though so my DH didnt believe me). Lo and behold, the next day I was more sick than I had been the entire pregnancy. Shots make me especially nervous because I never have a good reaction to them and my dad hasnt either. How do I know that this child wont be like me and my father?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlelost (Post 26960314)

Here are the statistics (which seem low to me, since online everyone is always saying they get their adult vaccines)...

Pneumococcal (high risk, ever vaccinated age 19-64) 18.5%
Tetanus (vaccinated within last 10 years age 19-49) 64.0%
Hepatitis A (ever received two or more doses age 19-49 10.7%
Hepatitis B (high risk, ever received three or more doses age 19-49) 42.0%
Herpes zoster (ever vaccinated) 60 and older: 14.4%
HPV (females, ever received one or more doses age 19-26) 20.7%
HPV (males, ever received one or more doses age 19-26) 0.6%

So are these stats saying that even if you get vaccinated, you still have that percentage of catching the virus? Or are the percentages increased because of being vaccinated? I hope I'm phrasing this right :/

alittlelost January 11th, 2013 06:26 AM

I'll add a few more thoughts.

I think whether you vaccinate or not, you need to make OTHER healthy decisions for your child as well:

How many people vaccinate but don't eat healthy? Vaccines have a lower efficiency rate for those who are unhealthy. This is why when we vaccinate people in other countries that have poor food/water sources, we sometimes have to vaccinate a single person EIGHT times before the vaccines "works" for them (or perhaps by then they've just built up natural immunity, who knows).

The best 'vaccine' you can give your child is breast milk. Of course, I think more parents vaccinate than breastfeed, or at least it used to be that way.

So, vaccines or not, consider breastfeeding, feed your kids healthy, have them drink plenty of clean water, make sure they get exercise, etc. Vaccines aren't magic potions and neither is skipping vaccines. Living a healthy lifestyle is the best way to have a strong immune system that will fight off disease.

As you have no way of knowing if a vaccine was effective for your child until the time comes (like us finding out they hadn't been effective for our older 2 kids with pertussis) you want to be prepared in the event that your kid does catch something. If they catch it, vaccine or not, they will be better at fighting it off if they are as healthy as possible otherwise.

Also, make sure your doctor knows how to treat things. My friend's daughter got rubella (despite having been vaccinated for it) and her doctor said "it can't be rubella because she's vaccinated for it". She had to go to a private lab to get her daughter tested to confirm it was, in fact, rubella. (Her daughter was fine by the way.) anyway, her doctor didn't know how to treat it because, despite the vaccine companies TELLING doctors their vaccines are NOT 100% effective, they assume vaccines work 100% of the time and don't bother learning how to treat those things.

When we told our last doctor we weren't vaccinating, they said, "that's fine. we have experience treating anything you child can catch and they will be in the best care with us." DREAM doctor. Unfortunately, my son's insurance changed in order to get all the different autism treatments he needed, and we had to switch doctors. Our new doctor is pushy on the vaccine issue. To be honest, if my kids ever DID get sick with something like that, I'd pay out of pocket and go to the old doctor because they have the experience treating things--which IMO *all* doctors should even if they are pro-vaccine, because vaccines are not 100% effective so they need to be knowledgeable and prepared to treat different things. So, vaccinating or not, make sure to find out how comfortable/experienced your doctor is treating those things.

Just my opinions/advice, of course, feel free to ignore this :) I just thought it was advice that applies to both vaxxing and non-vaxxing mamas :)

c'est_la_vie January 11th, 2013 06:28 AM

My children have had vaccines, they didn't even get eye ointment or vitamin k shots, we did oral vitamin k. I have "religious" exemptions for all 3 of my children, it was the easiest thing to obtain. My daughter is in a private academy for her Pre-K & we had ZERO issues.

My kids also hardly wash their hands, as awful as it sounds. But aside from my son's allergies, my kids are never sick & they're ALWAYS around other kids. They were all also extended breastfed as well.

My main reason? I catch colds ALL THE TIME. I'm fully vaccines. My Dad.. NEVER vaccinated, NEVER gets sick & he works at one of the busiest Casino's in Las Vegas. So that says a lot. He always donates his flu shot every year (which is an option for them).

alittlelost January 11th, 2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrskfet (Post 26960339)
Even without knowing that much about vaccines, I just dont feel safe. I know that may sound weird but my gut instinct is usually pretty spot on. Like when the doctor put me on Zofran for nausea, I didnt take it because I felt like I could be allergic to it (I say this about alot though so my DH didnt believe me). Lo and behold, the next day I was more sick than I had been the entire pregnancy. Shots make me especially nervous because I never have a good reaction to them and my dad hasnt either. How do I know that this child wont be like me and my father?

So are these stats saying that even if you get vaccinated, you still have that percentage of catching the virus? Or are the percentages increased because of being vaccinated? I hope I'm phrasing this right :/

IMO, there seems to be a correlation (though correlation does not equal causation!) between parents/families who have vaccine reactions and their kids having them. IDK what it is, something to do with our unique chemical make up and family biology? Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable with them, don't get them. If your feelings change down the road, you can get them later.

These stats are just saying that very few adults get their boosters. It doesn't say if it works for them or not when they do get them.

BeachMum January 11th, 2013 06:31 AM

We vaccinate on time but I DO have a problem with them combining so many vaccines. I wish they would space them out so a baby isn't getting so many vaccines at one time. Now I do skip the MMR and get it separately from their one year shots.

With that said, I think you should trust your gut. I believe God gave us that instinct for a reason. A friend of mine had a daughter that almost died after having her shots and she was 6 years old I believe. So she was older and had been vaccinated on time up until then. One time her body decided to attack itself and she was sick. So I've always been torn.