JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Vitamin D Deficiency (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2615646-vitamin-d-deficiency.html)

Anchored January 17th, 2013 07:34 AM

Vitamin D Deficiency

The perinatologist's office just called me because my labs from yesterday came back and showed I have a vitamin d deficiency. This is definitely the first i've heard of it... I need to just get some over the counter Vit D supplements.

She said low vit d during pregnancy can cause asthma, diabetes, and rickets for the baby (at some point in their life)- and for me can cause high blood sugar.

Anyone else have low vitamin d?

Dirtroads January 17th, 2013 08:57 AM

Re: Vitamin D Deficiency

I've heard this is common with PCOS (when I used to frequent the TTC with PCOS board) but is usually treated with prescription strength supplements. I asked to be tested a few years ago but my family doctor didn't see the need. I know that I have to have some other labs when I go to my next appointment so I think I will ask my OB about it. Hopefully it won't be a big deal for you.

UrbanMomma January 17th, 2013 10:00 AM

I'm always low during pregnancy.

It can occur more often in colder climates (less sunlight in the winter) and often women are affected. Just grab a Vit D supplement from the store. Did the doc tell you how much to take?

Kelllilee January 17th, 2013 10:08 AM

My mom has that. Her doctor said the best supplements are the liquid under the tongue drops (you can usually find them at the health store), 1-2 dropper fulls per day.

Anchored January 17th, 2013 10:18 AM

Hmm they didn't mention drops. Ill have to call and ask-- they told me 4000 units per day

Jen71 January 17th, 2013 10:24 AM

I'm from MN, and pretty much everyone are here is low in D. Glad you caught it! When I was diagnosed, I went to the Dr because I thought I had arthritis or lupus or something terrible like that, within one week of supplements I felt 100% better. I've been taking between 2000 and 10000 since, depending on the season.

ElliotsMommy13 January 17th, 2013 10:35 AM

I am surprised my doc didnt test. I also have PCOS and didnt know there was a connection.. Also, I live in the rainiest place in the country... It rains here in WA 300 days of the year! I wouldn't be surprised if I am vitamin d deficient. I think I will just start checking food labels and find things high in it to make sure.

Anchored January 17th, 2013 11:14 AM

You can buy th vitamin over the counter :) you could just call your Obs office and ask what dose they'd recommend for ya!

Kelllilee January 17th, 2013 11:53 AM

the drops I have are 5000 I believe. I only take them once in a while, I've had my levels checked and they are fine, but I do notice sometimes I feel better when I'm taking the drops.