JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   babyshowers? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2623230-babyshowers.html)

BabyFever23 February 7th, 2013 07:08 PM

babyshowers?

Do any of you ladies plan on having one? DH and I agreed that if its another boy we wouldn't have one, but now I feel like I dont want one even if its a girl. With our second son no one offered to throw us one so we threw ourselves one, we spent a lot of money on it and I did all the cooking for it and people were just so unthoughtful with gifts. I know its the thought that counts but we had a winter baby, I delivered in late October (NYC) and all I got was a bunch of summer clothes that didn't even fit him by the time summer came around, so we ended up spending money on newborn winter clothes AND summer clothes. My mom said she wants to do something simple for me at her house this time but I just dont care for it. Am I wrong for that?

Tinky February 7th, 2013 07:11 PM

Re: babyshowers?

Not at all. I don't see you being wrong for how you feel. I have heard of a couple of alternatives to a baby shower, maybe one will work for you?

I THINK one is called a freezer meal party? Where everyone brings some finger foods, and a frozen meal for you to use after baby is born.

A diaper party where everyone brings various sized diapers and wipes. A few will even bring clothes or small items I bet.

MissCiara February 7th, 2013 07:15 PM

No your not wrong for how you feel. After an experience like yours i wouldn't care for one either. I won't be having one though. I have no friends (by choice) and only a few of my family members lives here.

mamalamb February 7th, 2013 07:18 PM

I ended up pretty much throwing my own shower for DD2 and it was so stressful and expensive so I totally know where you are coming from!

I think this time, if it is another girl, I am not going to have a shower. It's sad but I don't think anyone I know IRL would be that into it or think I should have one. Maayyyybe some sort of meet the baby thing or something, although I'm not a huge fan of that idea either...

If it happens to be a boy, I will probably have one but I would hope I could find someone to throw it FOR me this time LOL!

Tinky February 7th, 2013 07:35 PM

I went to a shower once, it was in golden corral and we were told at the door if you wanted to eat to buy your own plate cause it was too expensive for the host to cover everyone. Good thing I had my wallet!

annabelpolo February 7th, 2013 07:38 PM

I didnt have a shower with DD since we were in the middle of moving across the country and at the time I had no family members or friends in the new area. I dont think I will be having a shower this time either since I would feel bad having one for this pregnancy and not with DD

IvyMommy February 7th, 2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelpolo (Post 27068300)
i didnt have a shower with dd since we were in the middle of moving across the country and at the time i had no family members or friends in the new area. I dont think i will be having a shower this time either since i would feel bad having one for this pregnancy and not with dd

wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BabyFever23 February 7th, 2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamalamb (Post 27068196)
I ended up pretty much throwing my own shower for DD2 and it was so stressful and expensive so I totally know where you are coming from!

I think this time, if it is another girl, I am not going to have a shower. It's sad but I don't think anyone I know IRL would be that into it or think I should have one. Maayyyybe some sort of meet the baby thing or something, although I'm not a huge fan of that idea either...

If it happens to be a boy, I will probably have one but I would hope I could find someone to throw it FOR me this time LOL!

I actually didnt mind throwing my on shower. It was kinda fun decorating and stuff but I was just so disapointed when we started opening gifts and all we kept seeing where shorts, sleeveless onsies and stuff like that. We didnt get socks, hats, blankets, the essentials you know? It was like a pointless shower.

Kelllilee February 7th, 2013 08:04 PM

I've had disappointing baby showers with each child. I would just like to have a GOOD one sometime. Some ladies from church have already offered to throw me one, so I said okay. I have some other friends that might too. I wouldn't do it for myself, but if someone else wants to, I'm all for it.

ElliotsMommy13 February 7th, 2013 08:06 PM

I have a couple of friends who might throw one for me.. they were talking about it. It is my first so I know I SHOULD want one... lol. At first I didn't want one.. but I think if I register at Babies R Us and have everything I really need beforehand I can just return what I dont need for something I do need later on. I know that sounds horrible.. but, I do really like Babies R Us return policy. I think it'll probably be in my parents house since its big enough for everyone and just ordering a bunch of pizza and cupcakes so I'm not out too much money. Im thinking late June since my sisters wedding is July 21st and Im due August 2nd.

Kaisia February 7th, 2013 08:15 PM

I'm far away from family and many of my friends, but friends here (pretty much all from work) already told me they're going to throw me one. A couple of them won't even be here when the baby is born, but they're all really excited. It's my first, which probably makes a big difference.

Otherwise I know my in-laws will just end up sending me a bunch of stuff. I'm hoping to get them to focus on the registry so that it's stuff I'll actually use, but we'll see. I'm expecting lots of cutesy clothes. :P

BabyFever23 February 7th, 2013 08:15 PM

We should be getting our tax returns soon so I want to buy the big things like the stroller and stuff soon, I know for a fact that if this is a girl I'm gonna go insane buying stuff so I'm just thinking whats the point of even having a shower when I'm just gonna buy everything girly in my path? Lololol I think lm just gonna let my mom do what ever she wants. Lol

miniRazz February 7th, 2013 08:59 PM

I will most likely be having two showers. My family and friends will do one before baby then my inlaws (and that side of the family) will probably have one after baby is here cause they don't believe in having one before baby arrives (for morbid reasons...i know i don't get it either)

soccermamatomany February 7th, 2013 09:02 PM

I'm pretty sure we will have at least 2 showers. My office will throw me a shower and I know my family and friends will too. I've already has a friend mention it. I'm really glad for it too since we have nothing!!

SmilesAreContagious February 7th, 2013 09:55 PM

If this baby is a girl we will probably have a "sprinkle." We have all the big things we will need. Most of it is in boy colors but who cares. So we will just need clothes. If it is a boy I dont think we will have a shower but we might have a meet the baby party. With my sons heart I have become a germ freak so we will see on that. Thankfully this baby will be born when its summer and NOT cold and flu season.

BabyT_heart_beat February 7th, 2013 10:50 PM

I will be having one or two or three!! Who knows. I've been TOLD not ASKED by a few family members that they will be throwing me a babyshower. I'm glad this is a summer baby because I've always dreamed of a big shower/bbq not one of those prissy showers(no offense) lol

Colliekat February 8th, 2013 06:51 AM

I had three showers with my daughter (one hosted by friends, one at work and one from my husband's work). With this little one, I know that we will likely be having two showers, one by friends and one from my work.

I sold the majority of my daughter's things, so we are starting from scratch again.

Hesperleigh February 8th, 2013 06:59 AM

I have nothing since we didn't expect to have another child. My mom is already planning one. She picked a date and theme and everything. LOL. My work has been talking about it since the day they found out, too, but I'm not sure if they will just come to the one my mom throws or have one here in the office. I feel like people are more excited about this baby than the first--- I guess because everyone knew I was having a hard time accepting that I might not get the chance to have a second. It's pretty funny.

PhD_Bound_Mommy February 8th, 2013 07:12 AM

I had 2 showers with DS. The first was awful. The person throwing the shower was supposed to be one of my best friends and the whole shower she kept turning the conversations onto herself and making rude comments about my gifts. Then when a friend asked her if she could help her get her gift for me, she was like the shower is my gift. I specifically told her what kind of food I like and don't and she serves all food I detest and couldn't eat, this was a lunch shower too, so I went until almost 4 before I finally got some food.

My second shower was good it was with co-workers.

With DD I threw my own virtual shower. Since I only had two close friends in NC and all my others were around the US, I figured it was easiest.

This time I don't know if I even want to try for a shower. I have a handful of friends here. Mostly what I would love to do is a meet and greet after baby arrives. They can bring freezer meals, hold the baby, and do it that way.

BeachMum February 8th, 2013 07:13 AM

I had 3 amazing showers with my first thrown by my awesome friends. They were all a blast.

I didn't get one with #2 but did get a church shower with #3 and #4. I'd rather not have one this time because I just don't like to be the center of attention.