JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Rude comments (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2632374-rude-comments.html)

MyFantasticFour March 6th, 2013 03:58 PM

Rude comments

Woohoo, I got my first rude comment! Lol. My best friend's dad is like 70 so, like my grandparents, he has no filter. I called to tell them I was having a boy and he goes "Yay, no more pregnancies!" We all know that once you have both genders, you do not need anymore children. It just made me laugh, he's nutty.

What kind of rude comments do you hear? Do you come up with witty retorts or just smile and nod?

I'm anxious to really embarrass someone. I really wanted to say "I'm sure there will be plenty more, we just love that sex!"

PhD_Bound_Mommy March 6th, 2013 04:10 PM

Re: Rude comments

LOL. I love old people. They can get away with it because of their age.

MyFantasticFour March 6th, 2013 04:23 PM

LOL I was going to say that but I didn't want to offend anybody. DH's grandma says the worst stuff and I'm always like "OMG crazy old lady!!" I love her though. She just doesn't realize telling me that all of my babies look like they have a lazy eye is rude lol (she realized after the second kid that it was in her head)

cameronzmom March 6th, 2013 05:01 PM

A couple of comments I keep getting that are beginning to bother me
"I'm so glad its not me and its you!"
"I'm glad I'm not going thru it again!"
"I could never do it again, better you then me!"

Obviously I'm extremely happy to be pregnant again and to have a pregnancy that seems to be sticking but why do other people have to make it seem like I screwed up and they feel sorry for me!

Jenilope March 6th, 2013 05:27 PM

Since this is my fourth, most of the comments I get are along the lines of "Wow! I can't imagine" or "You guys must REALLY want a boy!" And one person who just said "Why? Why would you do that?!"

I don't really have a response. Mostly just "we're excited" or "we don't have a gender preference, our girls have been amazing." Or just nod and walk away because I don't feel like making a big deal out of it.

I do wish more people would just say "congratulations"

soaringphoenix March 6th, 2013 05:33 PM

I haven't received any rude comments. My dad once told me when ppl get over 50 they don't care what come out of their mouth and I can only find it funny!

Allie_SMg March 6th, 2013 05:38 PM

lol! Its' true, older people do have different views of "politically correct" things to say. Usually they mean the best, but sometimes it's just rude!

My grandpa who is in his 80's and who never acted racist otherwise/had friends of all other races used to tell me that I should never marry a man that was another race than I was (I guess meaning black or asian because I am mexican/native american on my mom's side and irish/english etc on my dad's LOL) because we were "different" I guess views-wise? haha I always just laughed it off. Then married an Irish/Portugese guy (though he looks basically white like I do). :giggle:

BirdsWifey March 6th, 2013 06:04 PM

We just got asked "so you're done then?" in Costco. We were buying a girl outfit and the guy made a joke about dressing our son in pink and I said
"oh no, this ones a girl" and that was his response. At least he was nicer about it!

MyFantasticFour March 6th, 2013 06:23 PM

I think it's kind of funny that people don't have filters sometimes. It's just a people-watching thing that interests me!!

carolinashore March 6th, 2013 06:50 PM

I don't consider them rude, but annoying. I get lots of comments where people assume I must be having #3 in hopes of having a girl. It's not the case, and I'm tired of the comments! Especially when they're in front of my boys. My 7 year old asked me a couple weeks ago if we're having another baby that will be better than them. :( I have family members that act like having a boy is a sad thing, not as exciting as having a girl.

Ruthysb March 6th, 2013 07:06 PM

I am SOOO SICK of the "hope it's a girl" comments. WTH?? I do not understand why some would ever say that?? My family is saying it all the time. It really makes me feel like some people prefer girls over boys. My family said the same thing when I was pregnant with my son. I don't think there is any excuse. I wish I was wittier so I could think of something to say that would put them in their place. I also have had A LOT of people ask me if this pregnancy was planned. It just seems like a weird question for someone who does not know me well to ask. I try to be very careful that I do not say offensive things to people and do not understand why others are not as considerate! (PS I do not mind people I am very close to expressing such views or questions in a careful way--that is not what I am talking about!)

MyFantasticFour March 6th, 2013 07:11 PM

None of our kids were had in hopes of a boy...this one was born genuinely in the heat of passion. I might have to tell someone some brief details just to make it hilariously awkward. I want to make someone squirm. It's fun... I'm a jokester, this is this kind of stuff me and DH do lol all full of quips

mamalamb March 6th, 2013 07:13 PM

Yeah I'm getting a bunch too, ugh. "Finally!" "Oh good I was starting to worry about (dh's) virility!" Har har har.

It annoys me when people say the "oh now you can be done" stuff too. My dad asked if DH would get a vasectomy now. Wth?! Little do they know our current plan is to wait and see where we are at in a few years and maybe sneak in one more before I turn 35 lol. I mean yes, this is PROBABY it but it has nothing to do with "oh we got a boy now", it has to do with finances. And vacations. LOL!!

People are ridiculous!!!!

mommy2skyty March 6th, 2013 08:48 PM

Having a girl and a boy 5 and 3.5 years old I am sure people think this baby is an oops and thankfully they haven't said anything, but my brother said " you didn't plan this baby did you." lol! Also my family thinks this baby is a miracle because they think I conceived with my IUD in. I just didn't think it was their business to tell them I got it out a few months earlier! I am honestly suprised about how supportive my friends and family have been :) At least I don't have any pressure as to what gender we are having but my family thinks we are nuts for waiting, he he!

My first two are 19 months apart so I got a lot of "did you plan to have another soo soon", "your going to have your hands full", "wow your pregnant again." "ok so you are done now that you have your girl and boy". I feel really lucky that I got to experience having kids close in age and now I will experience having kids far apart in age. Well actually 4 and 5.5 years isn't far apart, it just seems like it to me, he he!

JessKeller24 March 7th, 2013 04:00 AM

A friend called me crazy.

A friends mom called me stupid!

Nothing out there crazy yet, but I'm sure its coming.

mrskfet March 7th, 2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allie_SMg (Post 27169547)
lol! Its' true, older people do have different views of "politically correct" things to say. Usually they mean the best, but sometimes it's just rude!

My grandpa who is in his 80's and who never acted racist otherwise/had friends of all other races used to tell me that I should never marry a man that was another race than I was (I guess meaning black or asian because I am mexican/native american on my mom's side and irish/english etc on my dad's LOL) because we were "different" I guess views-wise? haha I always just laughed it off. Then married an Irish/Portugese guy (though he looks basically white like I do). :giggle:

I havent had any rude comments about being pregnant but Allies story reminded me of something :) So, before Kev and I got married, my mom, brother and I decided to visit Terre Haute to hand deliver some of the invites. We stopped by my grandpa's house, whom we hadnt seen in years, to tell him the news. So naturally he starts asking questions, how'd we meet, what does he do, etc. when he finally asks where he's from. So, as casually as I could, I say "Oh he's from Iowa" to which he responds "...oh. I didnt realize there were many black people in Iowa" :lol: my mom and I busted out laughing because, as you can see by the picture, Kev is NOT black lol he didnt say anything bad when we told him Kev is white but it was funny to see him find out :)

MyFantasticFour March 7th, 2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrskfet (Post 27170504)
I havent had any rude comments about being pregnant but Allies story reminded me of something :) So, before Kev and I got married, my mom, brother and I decided to visit Terre Haute to hand deliver some of the invites. We stopped by my grandpa's house, whom we hadnt seen in years, to tell him the news. So naturally he starts asking questions, how'd we meet, what does he do, etc. when he finally asks where he's from. So, as casually as I could, I say "Oh he's from Iowa" to which he responds "...oh. I didnt realize there were many black people in Iowa" :lol: my mom and I busted out laughing because, as you can see by the picture, Kev is NOT black lol he didnt say anything bad when we told him Kev is white but it was funny to see him find out :)

Wait, why did he think he was black?

BirdsWifey March 7th, 2013 07:50 AM

We had family members making girl comments too. To the point I also felt like they must prefer girls. I had one really important person (ie a grandparent) tell me "I only want a girl" like ***?!?! I'll go into detail in the private forum some time lol. I told my husband if said person even thinks about treating Finley better than the boys he has to say something. I am not having my boys treated like they are less than her. I actually am getting tired of the "oh she is going to be so spoiled" type comments. Nope she is not. Not anymore than my boys are! Honestly having the opposite gender is just making me feel over protective of my boys because of some of the comments we have gotten!

onemoremakesfour March 7th, 2013 08:05 AM

People still don't know I'm pregnant again besides my friend and family, but the comments will come. My friend did say there's no way she would want to start all over again (our youngest are both 5 - hers are twin girls) and better me than her. But she followed it up with I'm such a fantastic mom and so patient so she sees why I would have more.

My sister made a comment about being over 35 and pregnant. That the chances of me having a baby with something wrong are so high I shouldn't do this again. She also mentioned that her son who is 21 is with a woman with a child (as if that means once nieces and nephews start having families mines should be done).

With my 3rd pregnancy all I heard was I was crazy, stupid, you know you're never going to get a girl, etc... I wasn't trying for a girl, I just wanted another.

People can be jerks.

mamalamb March 7th, 2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdsWifey (Post 27171232)
We had family members making girl comments too. To the point I also felt like they must prefer girls. I had one really important person (ie a grandparent) tell me "I only want a girl" like ***?!?! I'll go into detail in the private forum some time lol. I told my husband if said person even thinks about treating Finley better than the boys he has to say something. I am not having my boys treated like they are less than her. I actually am getting tired of the "oh she is going to be so spoiled" type comments. Nope she is not. Not anymore than my boys are! Honestly having the opposite gender is just making me feel over protective of my boys because of some of the comments we have gotten!

I am having the opposite problem with my mom!! I'm getting so mad! She has made it really clear that she wanted Max to be another girl and she prefers girls, etc. She keeps saying things like "Well I mean I'm happy you are happy, I know you wanted a boy but I just LOVE my precious granddaughters. And I like girls because they are so INTELLIGENT." And "Its going to be weird, I don't know how to bond with a boy." ***???!!!!!! Nice!