JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Blood Pressure issues? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2632471-blood-pressure-issues.html)

Jen71 March 7th, 2013 01:35 AM

Blood Pressure issues?

I've had a headache for the last 4 days, and had a couple episodes of seeing stars, and a coworker asked about my blood pressure. I hadn't let the idea cross my mind! I went to a CVS and had the pharmacist take my BP and it was 141/80. I called my dr office and the nurse said it was elevated and I should stay hydrated and she'd let my dr know. My BP is usually on the lower end, well under 120/60.

I'm so nervous that I'll have BP issues! I had preeclampsia with my 2nd (not my first, which is strange). I was really hoping I'd avoid it this time! I'm in a healthy weight range and exercise 3x/week, so I was hoping that would do the trick. I'm also over 40, so that increases my risks considerably for pre-e. I just wasn't expecting to start having BP issues at only 18 weeks! (Pre-e isn't diagnosed until after 20 weeks, so I'm not there yet, but I'm at a greater risk of it if I have gestational hypertension).

Anyone else deal with blood pressure problems?

Irishgirl99 March 7th, 2013 06:03 AM

Re: Blood Pressure issues?

Aww I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe it was just a once off? Fingers crossed everything will be ok

JessKeller24 March 7th, 2013 06:48 AM

Mines been a lil high my last 3 visits, which is not normal for me. I'm usually around 115-70 but its been 130/90 (first visit it was even higher). I never had issues before, so hoping its nothing.

Colliekat March 7th, 2013 07:26 AM

Hoping that it is something that will resolve for you and not turn into pre-E!

Anchored March 7th, 2013 09:28 AM

I definitely hope this resolves for you and doesn't end up being pre-e!

My BP runs very low (100/60 is my average), and last pregnancy it dropped a lot and I ended up in L&D a few times (once it dropped to 80/40 or something close to that!)... but this time I worry because my 16 week visit it was 120/70... I know that's still totally healthy but it's doing the total opposite of last pregnancy and I worry I will end up with high BP this pregnancy

Pbear31 March 7th, 2013 11:07 AM

Hello,

I had pre-e in my first pregnancy and am being monitored closely in this pregnancy. I had my son at 32 weeks and my pre-e was severe and quick to escalate. I would suggest getting a bp cuff for at home (I got mine for 40 bucks on Amazon). I check mine a couple times a day to get a feel for when it is high. For instance, sometimes it is high in the morning, and I think that is because I am dehydrated. It also helps with the "white coat syndrome" that I was experiencing in the doctor's office. I was getting so nervous that my bp would shoot up, once I had the confidence of KNOWING that my BP was low, it took away the fear.

Here is the other thing...if its before 20 weeks, then high bp is not really a sign of pre-e. It is just a sign of pregnancy-induced hypertension. Of course, after 20 weeks PIH can lead to pre-e, but it is not an automatically correlated thing. Make sense?

I guess what I am saying is don't freak out yet (way easier said than done!), you may just have high bp during pregnancy.

There are some baby-safe drugs for bp. Maybe you should ask your OB.

Us pre-e mamas gotta stick together!

Dirtroads March 7th, 2013 11:54 AM

I have chronic high blood pressure. I've had it since I was 17 been on meds since 19. I had pre-e with my first (totally the pits) and I am hoping to avoid it this time. I have already been switched to Lebatelol (I'm sure that is spelled wrong). Anyway, for me I don't need the meds right now! My BP is running low to normal. I think that might be part of why I feel so tired. The other night at work I was dizzy and stumbling, checked my BP and it was 106/70, really low for me and without meds. I don't know how to handle being on this end . . . I just try to keep my fluids up. I agree that having a BP cuff at home is a good idea, plus those drug store machines aren't too reliable . . . kids playing with them and all. I hope it was a fluke and you won't have problems. Good luck!