JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Appt and Update (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2632723-appt-and-update.html)

SmilesAreContagious March 7th, 2013 03:29 PM

Appt and Update

I had an appt today. I am 14w5d and it was just a monthly check up. I am down one more pound. This is the third different person I have seen. Every time I go in they hassle me about being RH- and tell me how I will get a rhogam shot at 28 weeks. I had to again explain that my SO is also RH- and actually has the same blood type as me so I will decline the shot since our children will also be RH-. This doctor asked me to bring in something that proves my SO's blood type. :eek: I wanted to tell her she is nuts. That I am allowed to decline something without having to prove my reasoning, and besides that she is assuming this is his child (which it is). This really bugs me. Im my own advocate, and I can make decisions for myself without having to prove myself. It really makes me nervous for the future and possible VBAC. Everything else was unevenful, which is good. We talked about being sent to a perinatologist for my anatomy scan, which will happen in 2-6 weeks depending on the referral.

I am going out of town on Sunday and will probably be gone a week. I wanted to go for my elective ultrasound at 15 weeks but since Ill be out of time Ill have to wait till the following week. :rolleyes:

Ive been doing a ton of research on VBAC's and my OB and the hospital I am supposed to deliver at. Come to find out the hospital I am supposed to deliver at was ranked #3 in California for the MOST c-sections. 30% of all deliveries at that hospital end in c-section. So I am feeling very discouraged. I am not fond of my OB but he is one of two who accepts the insurance I have and delivers at a hospital that allows VBACs. There is one other hospital that is in my area that permits VBAC's however none of the OB's who support VBAC's also accept my insurance.

Irishgirl99 March 7th, 2013 04:04 PM

Re: Appt and Update

That's frustrating they wouldn't listen to you!
Hopefully things work out with your vbac

alittlelost March 7th, 2013 04:29 PM

You must feel like your hands are so tied in this situation :( I would recommend having a doula with you, if you can, for your delivery. You'll also probably get more support there than from your doctor--they are often just "baby catchers". Sorry it was a discouraging appt.

MotheringManyBlessings March 7th, 2013 05:59 PM

I am RH- as well and I haven't done Rhogam since my first pregnancy, this will be my seventh. My babies were +,-,-,-,-,-. I have taken the shot after my two m/c though. My doctor always does a titer test before they offer you the Rhogam shot at 28 weeks but after I told them I wasn't going to take it they were fine with it after some mild arm twisting. My husband has big letters after his name and knows more about blood and stuff than the average OB/GYN:) He works in the field of DNA. I love to take him to appts when they try to arm twist you into all those tests bc the looks on their faces when he busts out his knowledge on the subject they become so sweetly quiet! Stick to your plan on not doing the shot and NO they can't make you take the shot. Wishing you good luck on your VBAC too:)

Husher March 7th, 2013 06:03 PM

Aww, that's stinks so much that you have to even worry about all that. I agree Mothering about sticking to your plan, and also with Lost about hiring a doula, if possible.

Did you get to hear the heartbeat?

SmilesAreContagious March 7th, 2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husher (Post 27173515)
Aww, that's stinks so much that you have to even worry about all that. I agree Mothering about sticking to your plan, and also with Lost about hiring a doula, if possible.

Did you get to hear the heartbeat?

Thank you girls! I did get to hear the heart beat. Im not sure what the HR was but SO got to come and hear it as well which was cool.

I do want to have a doula, however money is tight and will be even tighter around baby time because of my sons upcoming surgery. Do any of you know how I can go about finding a doula-in-training? I know they have to have a certain amount of hours before being 'certified' (if that's even the correct word). My SO was unemployed since October and finally got a job so Im hoping to be able to afford a doula.

alittlelost March 7th, 2013 06:58 PM

Que's reply to my post on the NCB might help!

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...our-doula.html

I think you could start saving up and putting money aside for a doula now, if you needed, so it's not money you have to come up with all at once.

carolinashore March 7th, 2013 06:59 PM

Maybe try googling Doula in Training in your area? I think having an advocate for you would be a big plus. I'm sorry they're not listening to you. It's so frustrating dealing with doctors like that.

MyFantasticFour March 7th, 2013 07:20 PM

They pulled that with me with my loss about the rHogam. I get it but a different hospital had given it to me the day before. They want to cover their own arses...I'm with you though!!!

I agree about the doula. It seems so hard to get a VBAC and it's just so unfair.

SmilesAreContagious March 7th, 2013 07:47 PM

Ive done some searching (for days now actually) and finally got the wording I needed to find a low-cost/no cost doula. I searched volunteer doula in my area and found some great information that I will follow up with. Thank you girls.

mamalamb March 7th, 2013 08:45 PM

That is so frustrating!! I have a very close friend who is a doula, she has done it for a few years now but when she was getting certified happened to be when I was pregnant with DD2. To be certified they have to attend a certain number of births, so they are always looking for births to attend for free! So tht may be an option too, she was basically certified, knew everything, just needed a certain # of births!